Drinking Water

They have unknown brands that range from 6-12k. The name brand and ones that actually look like they do something range from 15-40k. I bought a well reviewed 3m one for around 20k.

Less than 9k. Filters are very cheap and easy to replace.

I drink tap water

Is the boiling just a hangover from times when there was microbial contamination of the water supply? Anyone who has a palate needs to just smell the water in Taipei, sorry canā€™t speak for elsewhere, and you will know that stuff is full of chlorine. Giardia, cryptosporidium, what have you does not stand a chance. Having said that, with almost swimming pool levels of chlorine in the water, by my reckoning, you need to carbon filter it, an undersink jobby in my case is fine.

What the carbon filter does not capture is among other things:

• the by products of chlorination, stuff that chlorine reacts with along the way to your tap, trihalomethanes (THMs), and other stuff that I donā€™t know much about
  • contamination of the local water supply from antibiotics and pharmaceuticals that make their way into the water supply. There is a new range of filters that claim to capture these, but they are very expensive and have significantly shorter lifetimes than your carbon. I almost shelled out as I think in Taiwan could be worth it with all the intensive factory farming here.

Quick question: boil then Brita or Brita then boil?

Or does it not matter?

I boil then Brita. Fill the Brita then mmediately boil the water and let it sit there until needed. Try to avoid pouring hot water through the filter.

Thanks for the tip!

I Brita then boil, because we have the Brita on-tap filter. Same same?

I also Brita then boil, but I donā€™t know why. I donā€™t think it really matters about the order. not sure.

1 Like

We use this in all our apartments. I just drink straight from the taps, but my wife still boils the water.

Just change the filter yearly.

1 Like

I donā€™t think it matters if you boil first Or last. But the generic recommendation is let the water cool because the particles are smaller when the water boils Perhaps can seep more easily through the filter.

1 Like

that looks like a great idea.

One of the big Taiwan companies is the distributor here. I forget which one now.

There are actually quite a few varieties of inline filters. Go to one of those B and Q or Hola or even some 3C stores and you can see a lot of options.

Different types of filtration, different price points, yada yada yada