Drivers in Taiwan

Just an open question about drivers in Taiwan. Why are Taiwanese so bad at driving? I lived in Chia Yi for almost two years and felt as though I had a very large bulls eye plastered on the bacfk of my scooter. I was involved in ten accidents of which two were my fault. Now living in Taipei it’s a little better but today I was waiting in the special turning box and a red light runner slammed into me and accused me in Chinese of hitting him. Is it just me or is this a common occurence?

You’re not aggressive enough. I’ve never had this problem and I drive like I’m in a NASCAR race. No really, I bump other motorcycles, tap them on the shoulder, yell at them, hit their helmet. I haven’t been in an accident with someone else in over 3 years, unless you count that guy I plowed as he was getting off the bus. God help the SOB who bumps me however.

On the streets, you’re either a victim or a victimiser. You’re not dealing with a society with the rule of law or even decent ethical behavior.

CYA
Okami the Victimiser

He’s not exagerrating … I’ve driven with him! :shock: :laughing:

I completely agree. :bouncy:

Have a look here:
forumosa.com/3/viewads.php?p=123434#123434
and here:
forumosa.com/3/viewtopic.php?p=123644#123644
for alternative views on safe riding practices.

Assertiveness, not aggressiveness
All-round awareness
Anticipation
are watchwords for me.

Okami, if you really drive that aggressively, aren’t you afraid that one of the people you bump or hit on the helmet may be armed?
Anyway, I find that generally other scooters and motorcycles are just annoying; it’s car and SUV drivers that are the biggest danger.

[quote]Okami, if you really drive that aggressively, aren’t you afraid that one of the people you bump or hit on the helmet may be armed?
Anyway, I find that generally other scooters and motorcycles are just annoying; it’s car and SUV drivers that are the biggest danger.[/quote]

I’m not worried about them being armed as they would probably have to use their right hand which is rather difficult as it’s the throttle. I was thinking of looking into get my throttle on the left side as to free my up sword arm(katana, saber or machete; decisons decisions). I’m not sure if it’s possible, but is worth investigating. Also, while people here may have guns, bullets are in short supply, and most people still need the use of their right hand. There’s also the Taiwanese way of doing it, while taking full advantage of being a foreigner. Which is to do it, but don’t look at the person or his bike directly. For tapping shoulders or helmets, you can just throw out a buhaoyisi and get on your merry way, if that don’t work, scream “oi” once and prepare for ramming speed in a short space while screaming profanities loudly. That always works. :shock: :smiling_imp: :wink: They already think we’re monkeys. Why not repay the favor? If they were going to use their left hand then they are going down hard and painful as they won’t be able to handle the sideswipe I’ll lay on them with only one hand on the handle bars. Don’t make plans plan on contingencies.

I find car and SUV’s manageable since I normally drive in the left most lane. I’m a master lane splitter hoping to make guru in a couple years. I’ve done 130kph down Hoping (Heping) E Rd Secs 1 and 2 racing a souped up scooter(very fast) on a semi crouch rocket(135cc). He beat me, but not before almost plowing into a taxi making a left turn. I almost wrecked I was laughing so hard. I was impressed with his skill though.

Who says I’m not armed either? You can ask ImaniOU, I’m all about that thug lovin.

CYA
Okami the “Thug”

All I can say is…

WELCOME TO TAIPEI!!! Now you’ve become one of us, congrates!!!

And I couldn’t agree more with Okami, yes, please do drive aggressively, for you own good and safety!

Miaka (I drive behind Okami so he can open up the road up for me!) :wink:

Mrs Fluffy had to spend some time in hospital a few days ago because someone decided to swerve in front of the bus she was on causing her to go flying and getting bruised all over.

Would anyone like to defend that by say “This is Taiwan, everyone does that” or something ?

When I finally leave Taiwan it will undoubtedly be due to my inability to continue dealing with the assholes behind the wheels here.

I’m a pedestrian usually and on some occassions ride a bicycle. I hate the way Taiwanese people drive.

It seems that you are being tongue in cheek. If not, then I can only say that I am not quite sure whether this attitude will prove to be the most helpful in the long run.

Of course driving/riding conditions are often difficult here, but I like to think there are always choices about how to deal with them.

I am not a master of anything, and in addition I like my driving licence and continued (legal) life here, so I have to take it easier than you.

If you really have professional race riding skills then congratulations, although I don’t think public roads are the best places to practise them (there are pedestrians, you know). But if your post was meant as advice for the original poster then I have to say I don’t agree. It takes a long time to develop effective defensive riding skills; to go too fast prematurely is inviting danger. For further discussion of these issues see;
taiwanfun.com/phpBBen/viewto … highlight=
(The site’s down right now but has been before and is usually back up again in a couple of days).

If only we knew the answer to that question …

But I could think of the following:

1. There is no proper traffic education which in some countries starts already in Kindergarten or at least primary school
  2. There is no requirement for attending a driving school (minimum hours etc.)
  3. There is no road test when making a license
  4. Still, if all fails you just buy your license
  5. Enforcement is inefficient, lax and corrupt

And, perhaps most importantly:

1. Nobody gives a shit

Many people say that if you can drive in Taiwan, you can drive anywhere.
My wife doesn’t understand why I hate to drive so much.
I like defensive driving, but sometimes the best defense is a good offense. I try to follow the rules, but if someone messes with me, I mess right back.
I try to remain calm, but if I’ve been driving for over 30 minutes, all bets are off and I turn into a seething caldron of white hot rage.

My wife hates it when I refuse to yield to jerks who try to cut in front of me. I can’t help myself though. I just hate it when people’s behaviour infringes on the rights and safety of others. If I have the right of way, you can be sure that I’ll jealously guard it.

A truck running a red light gave me these:

4 operations, 4 years of crutches, a nasty 12 inch scar on my right leg.

I am no longer able to dunk a basketball (still have the sweetest shot in the world :wink: ).

The only good things to come out of it was the truck was wrecked and the hospital gave me some really good drugs before I was operated on. Had a great time as I was wheeled into the operating room :laughing:

Dear Joesax,

You can’t always be an a-hole on the road eventually someone will take you out. I normally keep a good amount of space between me and other riders. I’m incredibly defensive and firmly believe that if they can do something stupid, they, without a doubt, will. People will be less likely to mess with someone that will fight back. I’m sorry to come across so calously.

CYA
Okami

That’s a fact. Its natural law… tooth and claw.

If only we knew the answer to that question …

But I could think of the following:

1. There is no proper traffic education which in some countries starts already in Kindergarten or at least primary school
  2. There is no requirement for attending a driving school (minimum hours etc.)
  3. There is no road test when making a license
  4. Still, if all fails you just buy your license
  5. Enforcement is inefficient, lax and corrupt

And, perhaps most importantly:

1. Nobody gives a shit[/quote]

I cannot agree more with Rascal and Maoman’s comments…

i’d also add:
7. utterly selfish disregard for anyone but themselves

this trait seems to be inherant in 99% of Taiwanese people… whilst i’m no Ian Wright (lonely planet) i’ve travelled, mostly for business, to what i’d think is a fairly large and representative chunk of the world’s countries, and i’d say that the mainland chinese and Taiwanese are by far the most selfish people i’ve ever encountered…

talking about this with my father in law, who is Taiwanese, but a very well travelled, broad minded and successful businessman, his opinion is the emphasis on the group over the idividual in chinese/taiwanese society means people don’t consider that their irresponsible and selfish actions may harm/effect/inconvenience others around them, since they on some base level consider others and themselves to just be part of the herd, not individuals who’s rights need to be considered when making decisions about ones actions… hence the loud talking/shouting… spitting/farting/pissing in public, dangerous/irresponsible driving, building, parking… incompetant and short-sighted law making… wanton pollution of public land/air/water etc… etc… etc…

just an opinion, but an interesting one i feel…

Me too, and I take an ear bashing for it too.

That truck accident yesterday in Da Kung missed me by a small margin. The carnage reminded me of Kuwait just after the invasion. Took almost 12 hours for them to put out the fires and move all the wrecked vehicles. I just had an accident on the same road, 200 meters from that spot a couple of weeks ago.
What can I say, I honestly believe Taichung was a better place to live 20 years ago. They just widened Tung Shan Rd. to try to improve the traffic situation. A lot of good that did. The cops out here are anti foreigner to boot. The real irony of it all is that it is one of the nicest areas in Taiwan to live.
My solution to an island inhabited by driving idiots is to drive a tank.

You get used to it.

I drive an old car, and well, you don’t get any respect from anyone.

However, spend rage on the situation? No, I have better things to freak out over. I usually follow the stream and drive a bit defensively, unless someone tries to jump in in front of me.

When driving with the missus and not making way, she never says a thing, but she drives a fair bit herself. My sister-in-law sticks her head out of the window and yells at the other driver.

My missus wants to buy a scooter. However, I have tried to tell her that it’s a very bad idea, as she’s married and we have kids. (I don’t want to see her under a truck.)