Driving a right hand side car?

Pretty easy, just have to remember that the side you sit is the middle of the road side.

For UK specific things are:

You must not pull out in front of other traffic expecting them to brake and miss you, they won’t be expecting it and you will get rear-ended and be in lots of trouble

Roundabouts, always have a moment of confusion at some point on a trip but wow these things are far faster than a four-way stop but the ones with stop signals are a pain.

No markings in the middle of the road but that doesn’t mean you can drive all over it.

Pretty much most places with street lights is 30mph limit unless signed otherwise.

Only overtake on the right on freeways not both sides

Enjoy it, petrol is v expensive there too.

You can crash into the backs of cars with impunity in the UK?

1 Like

No, but if you force a driver to brake by pulling out in front of him there is a fairish chance you could get shanked.

1 Like

Hmmm…sounds like you guys need to up your knife control legislation.

1 Like

More seriously, you will get honked and flashed and a road rage situation could develop.

Causing other drivers to brake hard just isn’t done in the UK.

This, you try pulling out in front of something big and heavy and it’s so unexpected that by the time they have processed what you have just done it might well be too late.

Something else, I always found traffic in the UK travels far far faster on far smaller roads than here. For instance a road only 4m wide will have cars going both directions on it (having to be careful when they meet) and a speed limit of just under 100kph.

I think the OP is young enough and his brain plastic enough that he should be ok after a few (careful) days.

I have only ever driven in N America and Taiwan, where it’s all the same side. I’ve driven so many miles that my mind wanders, which would be a problem.

In Taiwan and in some US cities I don’t enjoy driving on very narrow streets that are barely wide enough for one car, and doing so in the UK would probably make me nervous as hell. At least at first.

Anyway, good luck and be careful.

some people see it as an opportunity

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s a global industry all to itself.

1 Like

So right, road rage is a daily occurence in UK, Cyclists and Cars raging at each other it’s crazy.
Driving here is madder but nobody gets madder, so my opinion driving UK make sure you have RHD as I know from driving both in Europe have correct side steering helps.
Don’t whatever you do cut someone up especially a cyclist with camera fixed to his helmet.

Experiences of one who usually drives on the Left (Australia):

Only ever had one ‘mistake’ and it was in the first 500m even - exited the Rental place in Hawaii and almost went the wrong way around a roundabout - no other traffic around wich was probably what got me, along with a single lane road with no centre line.
I had 3 weeks in the USA a 7 years back, starting and ending in Seattle, no problems at all.
For me its getting used to the different car, especially if its Manual as most rentals are in the UK unless you want to pay heaps more. Not to mention which lever is for Indicators and which for wipers etc.
And getting used to the blatant disregard for speed limits on Motorways in the UK, I exited Manchester Airport onto the Motorway, hardly any speed limit signs about, until I eventually passed one that showed 70 (mph), so up I went to that, and cars were still whizzing past!!

Watch out for looking the wrong way when crossing the road. Every now and then someone walks out in front of a bus. Best to look both ways every time. Another one is roundabouts. Then driving on narrow country roads and drifting to the wrong side, or swerving the wrong way as a reflex. Also don’t drive if tired. I have a friend who did that and wound up driving onto the highway in California on the wrong side of the road. Reverse!

I only had a problem once in Australia when I completely lost it on a roundabout.

They drive US-style inside the bases?
Seems asking for trouble.
I suppose the “hearts and minds” thang is out of fashion.

Yes they do!
Many years ago when I was on a blue light primary response course we drove all over UK and quite often stopped in US bases for lunches. Has to remember to drive on the opposite side whilst in the base

I know you can drive into the side of pulling-out cars with impunity in a Lada, because I’ve done it.

I doubt there’d be enough time to drive into the back.

In Australia, if you drive into the back of the vehicle in front, you get booked - the charge is usually Negligent Driving (Driving too close to the vehicle in front - aka Tailgating). You will need a Dash Cam and a sensible cop, else a good Lawyer to get you off, even if the one you hit changed lanes and hit the brakes.

A taxi driver in Sydney years ago (before dash cams) did it to me once, jumped into the gap when I was already slowing for a pedestrian on a crossing, then he had to jump on the brakes when he saw why the gap had opened, low speed rear ended him as a result. I got the ticket as the mongrel told the cop that he didn’t change lanes and the cop believed him, not me. Dash Cam would have helped then!!

1 Like