Driving a scooter; inexperienced - is this a bad idea?

I’m planning a trip to Kinmen in a month or so, and one of my ideas is to hire a scooter and spend some time driving around and seeing the sights.
I have an international driver’s license (will there be any problems hiring? My understanding is I’m allowed to drive 50cc with an international license). However I’ve only ever driven a scooter once when my friend let me take theirs for a spin in a small park.
Since I’ve only ever driven cars and am not much of a motoring enthusiast I can foresee the potential of running into problems since I don’t know the ins and outs of a scooter. And I’m imagining Kinmen’s roads are fairly quiet but are they safe? Or is this a terrible idea and am I going to get myself injured or killed? Is there anything I should do in preparation?
Cheers

I can’t speak to Jinmen, but the first time I drove a scooter was on Penghu, and it was the perfect way to get used to such a vehicle. I’m glad I drove there first, rather than in a typical Taiwanese city. The first 25 meters are kind of scary, and after that it’s fine.

But I don’t know about the rental. These days they’re stricter about the paperwork than they used to be, but that may mean they demand a Taiwan license and don’t know what an international one is. If you try a few shops, you’ll probably find one that’s fine. (I rented without any license at all, but that was long, long ago.)

Where did you drive a car, mostly?

Great input so far. :bravo:

To answer your question(s):

yes,

Kimmen is a very safe place to ride a scooter because it is so damn empty. Crazy empty. Little kimmen ( if you go) will feel like some kind of Taiwan Twilight Zone because it is so lacking in people.

Maybe,

They’ll rent you a scooter without a TW license. My gut tells me you’ll find a dealer somewhere to meet your needs. Kimmen is very different from the other touristy TW islands.

Definitely,

Hit up the White Lion.

T

Thanks for the input. I’ll certainly be giving it a shot then. Looking forward to exploring the place on a scooter :slight_smile:

In a large city

Just a follow up question - what’s your opinions on driving a scooter in rural taiwan? I’ve heard it’s a good thing to do but driving on the highways seems a bit daunting. I’ve been in cars with people who I am, to be frank, surprised haven’t hit anyone yet and that doesn’t fill me with confidence.

[quote=“Uncreativeusername”]

In a large city[/quote]

That experience will serve you well in my opinion.

Scootering in rural Taiwan can be both relaxing as well as pretty crazy. I say that because there’s not many cars or people on the streets and for that reason, scooters are treated as motorized people or bikes. They just do not follow any traffic rules.

Scooters, or anything under 250cc or was it 500cc? (Someone help confirm that) are not allowed on the highway. In other words, the kinds of scooters you’ll be renting, are not allowed on the highway.

Scootering in rural Taiwan can be both relaxing as well as pretty crazy. I say that because there’s not many cars or people on the streets and for that reason, scooters are treated as motorized people or bikes. They just do not follow any traffic rules.

Scooters, or anything under 250cc or was it 500cc? (Someone help confirm that) are not allowed on the highway. In other words, the kinds of scooters you’ll be renting, are not allowed on the highway.[/quote]

Only on the expressways.
They can go on the regular highways.
A lot of them, like the East Coast highway, even have designated scooter/bicycle lanes.

Guy

Nobody jumps on a two wheeler his/her first time EXPERIENCED, so one has to learn some time. At least a scooter is relatively easy to ride if you have bicycle experience. IN places without heavy traffic you should be fine.

Are you sure they haven’t hit anyone yet?

I think the difficulty isn’t learning how to ride a scooter it’s getting used to traffic patterns (in cities).

Hi. I just joined and I do not want to bust your plans, but as an experienced rider in Bangkok, I would say, don’t do it. Accidents happen very quickly and if you are an inexperienced rider, they happen even faster.

If you really want to make this kind of trip on a scooter, ride one for several months first. Do figure 8’s on your weak side in parking lots, and emergency stops. Know your bike, know the behavior of the people on the road, (if it’s at all possible) know you are insured to the hilt!

Maybe then, when someone gives you a shave at 160km, you might survive.