Driving at 400+ on a German motorway is ok!

Fast car, I guess Bugatti cars can go really fast!

2 Likes

It’s the autobahn, some stretch have no speed limit.

But if you get into any accident if you drive over 250kph, you are always at fault no matter who or what caused the accident. That means if some car just runs right into your lane a millisecond before you hit them, the fact that you drive over 250 means you are responsible even if the other person failed to check.

5 Likes

Yes, no limit but 250 is still fast, I have never gone anywhere near that speed in a car, have you?

The advised speed, if no other sign sets a speed limit is 130 km/h. If you drive faster than that and get into an accident you’ll automatically be held in part responsible.
The fastest I’ve driven on the Autobahn was 280. I can’t say it felt very safe and I’m sure it was too fast to react to anything.

6 Likes

If you have an accident at those speeds, it is highly likely that being at fault is the l(e)ast of your worries.

4 Likes

Yeah for sure you be dead and anyone else you hit

I think it’s irresponsible even if legal

Do a track day and do it on the track

2 Likes

Video of the act in question for the curious like me Bugatti Chiron on Autobahn - 417 KPH (GPS) On-Board CAM | POV GoPro - YouTube

1 Like

I read a Bugatti at those top speeds the tires are good for only less than 30 mins but the tank runs dry before then

Perhaps he was near 400kph top speed for only minutes but most of the time still drove 200kph plus

Bugatti are among the very few who could do those speeds and I guess it may be ok for a minute or two conditions permitting

But there is little time to react

Planes take off at around 220kph some less and they don’t fly those off the autobahn

I did 260 kmh on a motorcycle once

1 Like

Luckily for him everybody else respected the rule of driving on the right lane.

1 Like

I feel nervous at 120. 260 on a bike and you made it to 40.

2 Likes

The wheels weren’t aligned, she started shaking and i backed down. Thats how i made it to 40, reading the road and following the line :wink:

What kind of planes? Some have a takeoff speed of around 65 knots (like Cessnas) or over 200 knots (say a Concorde or various fighter jets).

1 Like

Touched 200kph in a “normal” large car in that area in Germany, but it already felt like things were getting dicey, twitchy. I can’t imagine what the double would feel like!

The faster you are going in a car the more critical various parts start to matter. To have a higher speed you must have better brakes to maintain control, then wheel alignment, bearings, etc. starts to matter too. Oh and if you are going to drive at 400 kph the road better be nothing short of perfect or else you’re in for a rude awakening.

The state of American highways simply do not permit driving that fast… all those loose gravel will become deadly missiles at those speed. The German autobahn is constructed under very strict standards, and the road is maintained at very short intervals.

3 Likes

The driver has been cleared by the german courts.

It is ok kind of ridicolous that Germany is the only country in Europe (or the entire world?) where there is not a permament speed-restriction.

No-one with common sense in Germany is actually understanding the non_existence of such a rule, but german parlament constantly failing to approve such a law once it has been brought up as recently as last year.

I have to say that Germany is one of the places i have felt safest driving, most people are respectful drivers.

2 Likes

It’s like the Purge. Give people a place to speed and they’ll be better in other places.

1 Like

Getting a drivers license in Germany is also extremely difficult with expensive mandatory classes. The written test is no walk in the park either. Most people will fail it during their first try. The driving test is also ridiculously difficult and the examiners are difficult as well.

3 Likes

TL fact check: This sweeping statement appears to be false. :x: :x: :x:

The lowest failure rate was in Hesse, where just 22.14 percent of new drivers had to take a second or third test. Next came Lower Saxony with 24.87 percent, and Schleswig-Holstein with 25.13 percent.

The worst was Saxony-Anhalt where nearly 38 percent of those taking their tests failed. But Thuringia and Saxony were not far behind, with 36 percent of would-be drivers failing their first test.

Seems to be around a third who fail the practical test:

Im Jahr 2019 bestanden 36,1 Prozent der PrĂĽflinge ihre TheorieprĂĽfung nicht. Bei der praktischen PrĂĽfung fielen im bundesweiten Durchschnitt rund 33 Prozent durch.

1 Like