Driving laws

I love what a truism an alternative reading of this statement is.

1 Like

There’s a weird reluctance to allow drivers to change lanes. I’ve no idea what that’s about, but it is a thing. The moment you signal somebody will speed up to block you. You just have to get used to it.

2 Likes

This.

The advice about driving is all pretty on point regarding traffic norms and how they are (not really) enforced. As long as you check your mirrors and take things slow there’s not much to worry about.

One thing that may or may not been mentioned is the actual commute itself. Living in Danhai there’s one (local) road in out and you may be stuck in traffic at some point. You may also want to consider social life, having a long commute or having to pay for taxi rides after the bar/club after the MRT closes after 12AM can add up.

Yes, this is exactly my experience.
And the lane “ownership”
Which is sometimes bad:
this is my lane i don’t let anybody going there

And sometimes good:
5 lane street and people lining up on the center lanes. So if you know your way you can just use the right or left lane without any cars at all.

And sometimes silly:
people on the highway just never change lanes. E.g. driving from Taipei to kaohsiung without any lane change, like is a challenge or something.

1 Like

It’s danhai to nccu

1 Like

That’s why I suggested Zhuwei or Hongshulin. Really shaves the time off

1 Like

But I really like my house. I know what you mean though

I get it, but there are incredibly good, nice, new ones over there too.

Trust me. Mornings suck in Danshui for the one chokepoint we have.

So if you drive, you’re gonna be in traffic.

3 Likes

Something else that took me a little getting used to coming from the Midwest US is just how the roads are “built” (still don’t know how to articulate it).

There are a lot more “there are 4 lanes, each one breaks off in a different direction by concrete barrier and if you choose the wrong one you’re likely in for a long detour” situations with a lot shorter time frames to decide which is correct. Or a lot of “there are 7 roads in this intersection, a scooter can only use 4 of them, how do we make a left here”

I had built up a bunch of subconscious routines that allowed me to mostly drive on autopilot in the US, but had to re-learn them in Taiwan.

But as others have mentioned, if you drive slow and cautious the Taiwanese are pretty forgiving on mistakes / making your own way (just watch out for the U-turn in the middle of a crowded road)

6 Likes

or another example,
3 lanes turn to only two lanes on the other side of the intersection.
(even better when left turns or right turns from three lanes become only two lanes)

if you are familiar and drive like everybody else it is fine.
but if you insist on your right of way in the same lane you will cause an accident.

4 Likes

Or shoot someone else with a BB gun.

5 Likes