Driving laws

Could some one please point me in the direction of info on how people are supposed to act on the roads? I’m hoping it may help as right now it seems to be a free for all.
Also if someone could explain how the parking works,eg red or yellow lines

Sure! Someone else clearly explained the way it works:

There are exceptions: turning right on red, or driving a scooter without a helmet, or tripping a red light camera can get you a ticket. Ditto freeway speeding. My one ticket resulted from stopping a red light at 3am in the flats of Tainan County, and then going through the light because I could see for miles in every direction. Except that I couldn’t see the cop waiting behind the shed on the other side of the road. I believe that dangerous driving will never ever result in consequences, beyond the science-based ones of physics and natural selection.

Red and yellow lines: as best I can tell, you’re not allowed to park on either. Parking on red will get you towed approximately one out of ten times, parking on yellow will get you towed about one out of a hundred times.

(After Googling a bit:) Oh, hey, who knew. There are rules. A Forumosa thread on this, from about a decade ago - parking on yellow is OK after 8pm? Or maybe 10pm?

From the Department of Transportation:

[quote]According to Article 168 of the Traffic Signals Markings Installation Regulations, parking on yellow lines is prohibited from 7:00 am – 8:00 pm daily. There would be a sign or a public bulletin if the “No Parking” hours are extended or shortened. Also, according to Article 169 of the same legal basis, parking is prohibited throughout the day along red lines. Furthermore, there would be a sign or a public bulletin if the “No Parking” hours are shortened.
2. In other words, parking is prohibited along red lines throughout the day. Parking on yellow lines is permitted from 8:00 pm – 7:00 am.[/quote]
Note that the street outside my home, in Danshui, has yellow lines, but is constantly full of parked cars.

You can see the written test here - that can give you some idea of the nominal rules. Amusingly, the first page after you click on English takes you to a Chinese-only menu, but choose the top button. If it’s the same test I took to get my scooter licence, the rules on maximum scooter cargo loads are hilarious. Oh, and I believe there’s a question about whether you should dress slovenly while driving or not.

Thanks for that, I got my local licence without having to sit a test, 5000km later I’m still none the wiser as to how things are ament to work but no longer feel like I’m going to die or kill someone every thirty seconds as I go about how it seems to “work” but get bewildered by actions daily!
Sounds like I’ll just keep on parking on yellow lines and leave the red alone

So, throughout the night you can park along red lines? Does day actually mean from sunrise to sunset?

Anken road from Sanxia to Xindian has always cars parked along red lines … but they have their indicators flashing to say they are actually not parked but just standing there while they’re shopping.

Yes, in Taiwan there are no traffic rules, unless you’re caught … traffic signs, road markings are for decorational purpose … job creation. It’s all just a suggestion.

So, throughout the night you can park along red lines? Does day actually mean from sunrise to sunset?[/quote]

No, no parking on a red line at any time.

In theory :slight_smile: But they do ticket and tow.

You’re just trolling. You know exactly what the laws are and that nobody enforces them. It turns into a psuedo free for all but if you want to complain about Taiwan then I suggest that you visit some countries where it is truly a free for all.

FWIW - cops are cracking down in KHH recently in the art museum area. They are nailing those running reds and turning left on red. 1800NT ticket according to a friend. About damn time.

they are only cracking down in khh because they need money to pay the gas explosion damage.

For one or two days the cops will hassle red light runners while a scooter with a family of 5 drives by unhindered, the next day they will stop the family of 5 on the scooter while scooter boys rip by at 100km/h.

Its Taiwan, do what you want, just dont get caught. I get a ticket a year for some violation and view it as a cost of doing business.

Out of interest, who do you think is trolling?
While some respondents have added some humer into there replies I don’t see anyone stirring shit

While some respondents have added some humer into there replies I don’t see anyone stirring shit[/quote]

Call it trolling. Call it playing dumb. Call it venting. Call it whatever you like but you know the answer to the question that you asked.

Is citizen/resident reporting of traffic violations possible (the way you can report vehicles emitting large amounts of smoke)? If not, why not? There’s a traffic light in the neighborhood I go through every day and seeing everyone run the red light long after it has changed ruins my mood every time. I would love to report some of these jerks.

While some respondents have added some humer into there replies I don’t see anyone stirring shit[/quote]

Call it trolling. Call it playing dumb. Call it venting. Call it whatever you like but you know the answer to the question that you asked.[/quote]

Bullshit

I asked where to find info that I did not have, you seem to have your nose out of joint.