Driving licence UK

Same in Belgium, now you get it through the normal driver’s license channel at the town/city hall office counters.

If someone visits the country for over 183 days (90 days in Taiwan now) you are a resident according to the DMV.
Can a tourist take a driving test and thus have a Taiwanese driving license?

As far as I am aware you need an ARC/APRC/Local ID for a local license.

Who knows! The DMV themselves state in point 3 that the longest validity for an IDP is 1 year and yet in point 4 insist the validity is a max of 6 months!

I’ve beeb using a IDP for 23 years. Anyone top that ?

At which DMV have you been getting your yearly stamps? Have they given you any hassle lately?

Not the same one I hope, the 1949 IDP is only valid for 12months from issue and I think you have a couple of months grace.

SuperS… I didn’t get one recently as cannot do it by post anymore. Yearly stamps done in Taichung.

for a car?

Oh, OK. Might just go and do the test! I guess one other advantage to getting a Taiwan license and IDP and using them when driving in Europe is that it’s highly unlikely to receive any roadside camera speeding tickets! Last time I received one the hire car company had used the home address on my license rather than the home address given on the rental form to the local police, ended up being a real pain to sort out as it’s supposed to be done in person.

1 Like