Driving license manual in English

You think I’m overthinking it? That may be the case. I applied for my license in Spain, after all…

barringtonfreight.co.uk/blog … -World.jpg[/quote]

Wriggle all ten finger to pass medical exam in Taiwan?! I don’t remember having to do this…

[quote=“Ricarte”]Even if you have a motorcycle license, you still need to redo the written test for car and vice-versa.

One suggestion: Do a couple of hours practice in a driving school. Although you may know how to drive, it’s another thing passing the test. There are a specific order and a specific way to do it, and the inspector can be very strict to it. You can pay per hour at the driving school and it made a big difference for me.
A friend gave me this tip and it’s worth! He had to learn it the hard way tho, after being reproved twice before practicing.[/quote]

That’s good advice. Thanks for sharing this tip.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“Ricarte”]Even if you have a motorcycle license, you still need to redo the written test for car and vice-versa.

One suggestion: Do a couple of hours practice in a driving school. Although you may know how to drive, it’s another thing passing the test. There are a specific order and a specific way to do it, and the inspector can be very strict to it. You can pay per hour at the driving school and it made a big difference for me.
A friend gave me this tip and it’s worth! He had to learn it the hard way tho, after being reproved twice before practicing.[/quote]

That’s good advice. Thanks for sharing this tip.[/quote]

No it isn’t.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … l#p1648985

[quote=“Ducked”][quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote=“Ricarte”]Even if you have a motorcycle license, you still need to redo the written test for car and vice-versa.

That’s good advice. Thanks for sharing this tip.[/quote]

No it isn’t.

forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi … l#p1648985[/quote]

Appreciate the head’s up but it’s still good advice for me. I worked as a valet in college. Parking a car around a weird angle in reverse was pretty common. Just need a few tries and then I think it will be fine.

I understand what you’re saying about the whole “business model” thing, but not something I’m too worried about.

Now I just need to find time to go and do take the test I guess. Hard to find motivation because my wife already has her license. Anytime we go out she drives which is okay with me.

tbh - I think you could pass the test w/o doing a few hours at a driving school. The backwards S is silly but it is actually easy if you only use the side mirrors and switch the other side mirror in the middle of the S. They could have had an air traffic controller with the orange light sticks standing right behind my car but once I figured out that you don’t use the rearview mirror for that part I would have run him over.

Here is a silly part of the test. If you take the test with an automatic transmission car then you aren’t licensed to drive a manual transmission car. Of course the manual transmission car is an old piece of shit to take the test in.

I did pay for 2 hours practice, in a manual transmission car. No regrets.
Of course, if you pay the whole course it will be cheaper per class, but I only needed enough to run the course a couple of times. I even asked the instructor to act as the test examinator and show me where points could be deducted. There were some tricks and tips that he gave me and that helped a lot. For example:

• Signal your turn in every single turn. No matter if it’s the only direction you can go, or even if it’s just a curve and not a real turn. You won’t be penalized if you signal too much, but miss one and there’ll be consequences.
  • Go as slow as possible. There’s no need to rush, and you won’t be penalized for driving at the speed of a turtle.
  • Open the door in two stages. This means to open the door just a little bit at first, take a look around the car, then open enough to get out of the car.
  • Fast you seatbelt before anything else. That’s the first thing to do, even before adjusting the mirrors. Some examinators can be very picky about the order of your actions.
  • Exaggerate your movements inside the car. The examinator needs to see that you are really looking both sides at an intersection, that you checked behind you before driving in reverse, that you really saw the traffic light and etc.

Also, I only recommend experienced drivers to take this short training for two reasons:
1 - As you have driven for a long time, there are some habits that you may have and that can be a problem during the exam (such as not doing a full stop at the stop signals), and this short classes can help you to fix it.
2 - Only if you pay the full course you can use the same car for practice and exam. Therefore, if you are not experienced, you may have problems to adapt from one car to another.

Wish good luck!

The practice sessions I paid for were with no instruction, and, as I said, weren’t worth 1000 an hour to me.

If you had an instructor who actually wanted to help you it potentially becomes a short intensive “test gaming” session, and might then be quite valuable.

I’m surprised they’re willing to do that though, since, as I said, it undermines their bizniz model.

It wasn’t apparently on offer in Tainan.

OK… Now I see why you didn’t think the single sessions are valuable.

Yes, definitely the instructor’s tips and “test gaming” made it worth. And that was what I was looking for. Without it, I guess it wouldn’t be so useful…

How would having a (TAIWANESE) driving manual assure there were no “rogue questions” in a (TAIWANESE) driving test?

This cannot be done.[/quote]

I just took the test last week (Nov 2015). Believe me they are all “rogue questions”. I studied the sample questions for days. Wanted to get 100% on the test as I have on my drivers tests in the US (both driver and commerical). The sample questions were a joke. Not one of them was the same on the exam. Several questions on the exam covered subjects totally missing from the sample tests. There were questions on the sample were you needed to select a totally wrong answer to get it marked correct, and questions with no appropreate answers in the choices. Most situations were caused by incorrect translations from chinese to english. Like using the word “can” when “can’t” was clearly intent according to the answers.
Only later did I realize the reason for my bad performance 84. Someone in there infinent wisdom thought it would be a good idea release a totally new test in 2015 but not relase corresponding sample questions until 2016. Any time you spent on the sample question is 110% wasted time. You will not find those exact questions on your exam. 110% wothless Because some sample questions required you to remember the wrong answers to get them marked correct. These answers if used on the new exam will all be marked wrong.
In the end this will all be for the best, particularly if they end up fixing the poorly translated answers and questions but it’s very unfortunate for anyone who needed to take the exam in 2015. In January they will release the new sample exam questions.

Sorry that you failed. This is one of the reasons I really dislike the exam in Taiwan. The applicant has to study for the exam, not to learn the rules. Even if one knows the correct answer, one has to select the answer that THEY wanted. And good luck on getting it corrected with the MVO… :noway:

Hey, where did you download all the questions?

It gets me to the test kinda but how to download?

I’ve been using this web-based, computer-assessed version for practice: https://www.mvdis.gov.tw/m3-simulator-drv/index.zul

(got the link somewhere on Forumosa and saved to my favourites, it is a good way to kill a few minutes and when I finally get to quarantine it will be visited more regularly)

1 Like

@antarcticbeech posted it on top of this thread: