Driving questions

Yes, you’re correct! In Taiwan, vehicles making or intending to make a right turn at any intersection must always yield to oncoming traffic (In this case, Car B has the right of way as “直行車有路權”. Only when the coast is clear, can Car A make the turn. If Car A meets pedestrians on a Zebra crossing, it must always stop as Pedestrians always has the right of way. Due to the recent spate of vehicles hitting and killing pedestrians, authorities has started strictly enforcing/catching vehicles not yielding to pedestrians. If a pedestrian is walking on a zebra crossing and is within 3 meters of a vehicle intending to make a turn, then said vehicle MUST come to a complete stop (its tires cannot even touch the zebra crosswalk) until pedestrian has safely crossed. I’ve seen a lot of cops standing in the side of an intersection catching vehicles who flouts this rule.

Perhaps your comment is more appropriate in this thread where it has already been heavily discussed.

Some argue the definition of the 3 meter rule (yielding to ALL crossing pedestrians and stopping 3 meters away vs. only yielding to pedestrians who are 3 meters away).

I don’t think there is consensus yet.

I think the main issue is that the government does not provide any handbook explaining all the rules of the road. They only provide the test questions and corresponding answers. I only found the answers to the OP’s questions in a handbook I purchased that was published by a private company. Most people don’t even know about these.

Of course, the test questions don’t cover every single rule. If, for example, the test questions don’t ask about yellow lines on the edge of the road, then you may very well pass the test but live your whole life not knowing what yellow lines mean! :laughing:

1 Like

And here I was thinking it is the peoples fault for driving so bad. I am starting to get a clearer picture, thank you for clarification!

1 Like

I believe the best part of the driving course was when the instructor showed us videos and pointed out the “mistake”, or rather, the ignoring of the law/correct answer on the test that led to the accident/collision/someone being run over.

Unfortunately it was too brief but then who can expect to be able to even skim the surface of the ample variety of Taiwan traffic infractions?

1 Like