Driving/speeding

What is the threshold for the speed cameras to activate if one drives above the speed limit?

Do the speed cameras operate based on average speed over a distance, or speed in their immediate vicinity?

Are the only speed cameras those grey ones with orange/black stripes or are there other ones, such as on highway gantries?

How much do speeding fines cost, are they progressive (cost is proportional to speed over the limit) and do you get points on your licence?

I believe 10 over generally gets you done. I’ve never got a ticket for less than 10 over.

The general cameras are standard radar based or inductive loop based, sensors in the pavement.

Generally they are box based but I’ve seen nasty ones on gantries that have a radar looking down and the camera on the other side. Most people don’t notice those and think it’s a regular road video camera. Honestly if you see a sign with a triangle and a camera assume there is one nearby. The cops even have portable ones too they can drag out for a day, Taichung cops like to use those.

No points but I’ve read somewhere if you are excessively speeding you can lose your license but I’m unsure what that threshold is.
And yes the faster you go the more $. I paid $3000 once for 20 over.

3 Likes

I got ticked for being 6 over the limit. However, it was a portable mobile unit and not a fixed camera. Maybe that factors in. Not sure.

Usually, but not always, there’s a 10 percent grace.

Thats very nit picky of them

In NSW, Australia, 20kmh over will cost you AUD300 (about TWD6000) + 4 points - and 13 points inside 3 years gets your Licence suspended for 3 months.

The Government makes a motza out of it, Speed Cameras, Red Light Cameras, Mobile Cameras. Drive 45kmh over and the cops can seize the car on the spot too.

I got one for doing 56 in a 50, it was a fixed camera so probably my own fault as it clearly marked, next to the tree.

2 Likes

Canada doesn’t give points for camera tickets. If you ask for a court date you can get a 75% reduction on the fine.
On the highway everyone does 20 over and cops don’t bat an eye, seems a lot more chill than oz.

1 Like

I don’t know how it is in Taiwan but I read somewhere that in the US camera tickets are always dismissed if you contest it in court, because without an officer at the scene to issue a ticket there’s no witness.

What? No. You get 1 point for normal speeding and 3 points for severe speeding (60km or more) 你不可不知-交通違規記點影響 | 交通新聞| 168交通安全入口網

Many people don’t know this and lose points without knowing and then are shocked to have their licensed revoked.

Don’t be one of those people.

The general rule is over 10. The reason for this is due to the highway speed being 100 and they went off of a 10% rule. HOWEVER, now 10km is the accepted tolerance (even in a 50 or 110 zone…) THAT BEING SAID… if it’s on like a windy area or an area known for crashes etc… the tolerance can be less… but you can appeal and will likely be let off.

https://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=294&t=4327111

Taiwan isn’t part of the US. (Despite America conquering Taiwan during WW2 and practically owning it…) The leaders were silly to let it fall into the hands of the incompetent Chiang Kai Shek who went onto commit massacres etc until the US essentially gave up and recognised the PRC… (Yes, things have changed in more recent times.)

But if your ticket doesn’t come with a developed photo attached you can get out of it.

Also there are excuses for things such as medical emergencies etc I heard. But recently there was a doctor on the way to an emergency surgery who was fined because “the risk was too high for the potential benefit.”

Interesting, thanks for letting me know
It never affected me as I only used to get one ticket per year and then I learned where every camera is and never got tickets again. The massive warning signs are obvious

And I don’t speed unless it’s an open wide laned road.

Edit, according to that link the requirement to go to that safety presentation is at 6 points so you would have to be busted 6 times before that happens

There are also sections where average speed is captured over a distance, for instance the tunnels on the new Suhua highway. There will be a sign warning 區間測速.

4 Likes

It’s a stupid system as the points were cleared after 6 months… There was talk of making that 24 months but they settled on 12 months 交通違規記點制度變革 時效延長至1年、逕行舉發可記點 - 生活 - 自由時報電子報

Either way… some seem to still get their license suspended…

1 Like

Well…I come from a country where the speed limit is an advisory and the police don’t bother to enforce speeding cameras.

I might have entered the FBI’s most wanted by now in the short time I have been in Taiwan.

Assuming I got a ticket, how long will I need to wait before I know for sure? I am driving a rental car.

1 Like

I started to post this same thread once.

I’ve done a lot of highway driving here and I constantly see people fly past cameras like they’re not there, while I’m trying to stay under 10 over.

With the number of cameras on some highways you basically can’t speed ever. Except all of the people that do :thinking:

Could it be that those vehicles are registered under a Company name rather than an individual? In Australia, the Infringement notice is sent to the Owner of the vehicle, who can either pay up, dispute, or nominate who was driving. Many Companies simply paid up (and probably claimed the fine against tax too), but that has changed in the past couple of years and now to simply pay up costs a hell of a lot more, so they nominate the driver who then gets the fine.

1 Like

Most of the signs are decoration, many people use apps to know where actual cameras are

Also, if you pass a camera with another vehicle in the photo, they can’t issue a ticket

Also, the ticket fine isn’t that steep

No points for speeding ticket on my white plate, only for cars

1 Like

I definitely see signs sometimes with no camera to be found, but I would say that’s less than half the time. Often times the camera is very obvious, and I think even then people still blow past it. Not 100% sure on that though.

There was also the time I came from Taoyuan airport in a taxi and the dude drove 180 the whole way – surely there’s some speed cameras along that route?