Driving to Taipei v. taking the train?

Question:

I need to go to AIT in Taipei on Wednesday morning to drop off documents and make an appointment to for documents relating to my daughter’s birth.

I really want to drive, but my wife recommends that I take the train and take a taxi. I look at the map and it seems that National Expressway #1 (國道一號) has an interchange with the Jianguo North-South Expressway (建國南北快速道路), which seems to have an exit on Xinyi Road, Section three (信義路三段). Is traffic bad there at about 7:45 or 8:00 in the morning? Also, will I be able to find parking (streetside or a pay lot) near AIT? I have an ankle injury, so I can’t really walk more than four or five city blocks. Or, do you really think I should take the train and then a taxi from the train station (or take MRT to the closest station to AIT and then take a taxi.)

I have only been to Taipei once in my year and a half in Taiwan, so I really don’t know the city at all.

Thanks in advance for your help.

The answer is obvious. Take the train and a taxi. You’re bound to get lost otherwise. Of course there are also the tollways. In my experience a car just aint worth it unless there are more than three people in it.

HG

The answer is obvious. Take the train and a taxi. You’re bound to get lost otherwise. Of course there are also the tollways. In my experience a car just aint worth it unless there are more than three people in it.

HG[/quote]

So, it isn’t as straightforward as the map suggests it is?

Take the effin’ train. Where are you going to park a car in Taipei? There is no place. And traffic at 7:45 will be absolute murder.

Look, we go up to Taipei all the time. And I always take the train if I go up alone. The hassle is much less. And the metro and taxi make life a lot easier. Gas/parking versus train/taxi is so close it is not worth the extra hassle, especially once you factor in the accident risk.

Good luck!

Vorkosigan

I think I will be taking the train. I found an AMT station very close to AIT, so that worry is eliminated. As for parking, people here in Taichung park whereever they please! That isn’t the case in Taipei?

Also, does anyone know what street (and the cross road) that Taipei 101 is at? I am dying for some real cheese and I hear that there is some in the supermarket there.

Thanks again.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]Take the effin’ train. Where are you going to park a car in Taipei? There is no place. And traffic at 7:45 will be absolute murder.

Look, we go up to Taipei all the time. And I always take the train if I go up alone. The hassle is much less. And the metro and taxi make life a lot easier. Gas/parking versus train/taxi is so close it is not worth the extra hassle, especially once you factor in the accident risk.

Good luck!

Vorkosigan[/quote]

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Look folks he CAN drive…

There’s convenient and cheap parking within 200 yards of the place!

You won’t get lost either…It’s a no brainer…

Come on up north on the freeway…Once you pass the Taishan toll station, just watch for the signs for the Chienkuo exit…It’s the next exit after Chungking…You can’t miss it.

Once you’re on the overpass, you’ll pass the Minchuan exit, the Chungsiao exit and then the Jen-ai exit…The Hsinyi exit is the next one and it’s fairly close to the Jen-ai one so keep an eye out. Once you drop off the freeway, you’ll see a parking lot on your left before you even get to the Hsinyi intersection(right under the overpass)…There’s always space, it’s 20NT an hour and a two minute walk tops to AIT. Park your car, cross Hsinyi Road and turn left…Walk up to the first light and you’re there!

Actually, the worst traffic will be through the Chungli-Taoyuan area, but it sounds like your appointment will be early enough to miss it…

The 101 is straight up Hsinyi Road…You’ll be able to see the damn thing the whole way there…Also, cheap parking to be had behind and one block over, near Warner village…Again, a short walk.

Early morning train commute?..Why?

There are plenty of parking in the Hsin-Yi area. Since you are going to be going to Taipei 101 anyways, why don’t you drive to Taipei 101, park there, go to AIT by taxi, do your business there, taxi back, and enjoy your day before driving back?

Parking in Taipei is a bit difficult but not impossible. You just have to pay a bit. Parking won’t be your biggest problem; your biggest problem will be traffic on the highway.