Driving without drivers license

Hello everyone,

I was driving a rented scooter without a valid drivers license last year, got hit from behind and the police came.
Because i didn’t have a license they wrote down my the Informations from my passport a made a report.
They told me that I would have to pay a penalty and that the bill would be send to the address in Taiwan I gave them
and then it would be okay. I left Taiwan a few days afterwards. Its been half a year now and nothing came to the
taiwanese adress I gave them. Now I’m gonna go again to Taiwan in August and I’m afraid that they wouldn’t let me in cause I didn’t pay that time.
Does anyone know if that could happen? Anyone any experience?

Thank you!

For a traffic fine?

Doubt it, it is not a criminal offense.

Did the guy that hit you try to sue you after?

No, she didn’t but because of my friends recommendation I made a law suit which would drop automatically after she paid for the damage.

usually the fine is written to the license plate of the vehicle, so it is possible it is attached to the rental.

its also likey the cops couldn’t be arsed to deal with a ticket when they got back, especially since you weren’t being sued.

I wouldn’t worry about it, worst case they get you to pay 6k Taiwan dollars, which I highly doubt they will.

[quote=“Lobelt”]Hello everyone,

I was driving a rented scooter without a valid drivers license last year, got hit from behind and the police came.
Because i didn’t have a license they wrote down my the Informations from my passport a made a report.
They told me that I would have to pay a penalty and that the bill would be send to the address in Taiwan I gave them
and then it would be okay. I left Taiwan a few days afterwards. Its been half a year now and nothing came to the
taiwanese adress I gave them. Now I’m gonna go again to Taiwan in August and I’m afraid that they wouldn’t let me in cause I didn’t pay that time.

Thank you![/quote]

You will be fine, nothing will happen to you. This is Taiwan, trust me.

BTW, two of my friends got pulled over on scooters in Xindian this weekend for making a U-turn on a red light. Both don’t have valid scooter licenses. The police spoke English well, gave me a ticket for the illegal U-turn (1800nt each). Cop never asked to see their licenses. This is Taiwan!

[quote=“rk1951”][quote=“Lobelt”]Hello everyone,

Thank you![/quote]

You will be fine, nothing will happen to you. This is Taiwan, trust me.

BTW, two of my friends got pulled over on scooters in Xindian this weekend for making a U-turn on a red light. Both don’t have valid scooter licenses. The police spoke English well, gave me a ticket for the illegal U-turn (1800nt each). Cop never asked to see their licenses. This is Taiwan![/quote]

I got pulled over once and showed the police officer my ARC instead of my scooter license, he asked me where I was from, told him the states, and he told me, in the future, since you’re not from around here, just follow traffic next time to avoid getting in an accident.

Didn’t even ask for my registration or my scooter license. This is Taiwan?

[modquote]Do not promote illegal activities. Breach of this rule can lead to legal proceedings against this site, and will not be tolerated.
policy.forumosa.com/illegal-activities/#more-251[/modquote]

I think the car license allows you to drive up to 125cc bikes, at least according to my in-laws.

I’m not recommending that you should drive without a license, but I did, for years (like and heavy scooters and cars), and nothing happened. The immigration police won’t know, or care, if you have an unpaid traffic ticket somewhere.

[quote=“Blaquesmith”][quote=“Taiwan_Student”]Forget your Chinese and let your second grade daughter act as a translator. “Tell your daddy, next time to be careful”. Sadly many cops speak good English now.

BTW, same situation… I’ve got a 50 CC licence and a car license but I drive the 125 CC registered to the wife. I actually only carry my car license. Now one has stopped me in the many years I’ve been driving. I’ve usually just gotten tickets in the mail for minor things. Knock on wood…

What will happen if I get stopped and only show my car license? What will happen if it is found out that I don’t have the 125 version. I’m thinking of taking the test but I hear it is so unnatural. You have to drive very slow around an obstacle course. So slow that it is dificult to drive a straight line with out falling over. Is that correct?[/quote]

I think the car license allows you to drive up to 125cc bikes, at least according to my in-laws.[/quote]

The car license used to allow someone to drive a 50cc scooter but now (effective July 1st) you actually need a scooter license to drive any scooter (even 50cc). Those that already have car licenses are grandfathered in (only 50cc) though. It’s a hassle (wasting a fine afternoon or morning) but it really isn’t that hard to get a proper license.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003614601

I seem to get stopped at least once/yr for no reason (dirty license plate for example) and the officer always wants to see my license. I don’t know if he would just give up if I didn’t have one but I think the ‘cops don’t bother foreigners w/o a license’ unofficial policy is becoming less and less true but people continue to repeat what has been said for the last couple of decades.

I can say one thing for sure. Nobody has any room to bitch and complain about Taiwanese breaking traffic laws if they haven’t bothered to get a license themselves.

Describe the motorcycle test for the big bike please?(125 CC not the new american standard ones.) I hear it’s a bitch and even the best “real world drivers” fail. I hear you could actually drive to the testing site on your own motor scooter, fail and drive away happily until the next time.

I got a $NT 6000 fine for driving without a license. The cop told my wife that foreigners think they can come to Taiwan and do whatever they want.

What a bunch of ridiculous nonsense. Whoever told you that is a moron that likes to wildly exaggerate and complain. yes, someone could fail the test due to the bad luck of putting your foot down at the wrong time or touching a line but it’s not that hard.

The car test is much, much more difficult. If you could pass that then the 250cc and below test should be cake if you have been riding a scooter. Yes, the whole test is silly. You need to ride around stopping at red lights and RR crossings and the such. For the straight line test you need to stay balanced for 8 seconds while idling along on a 10-15 meter line. If you are using that as an excuse then you are just making excuses for not taking it.

Despite it testing no real world skills someone that couldn’t pass it shouldn’t be allowed on the roads.

[quote=“Abacus”]For the straight line test you need to stay balanced for 8 seconds while idling along on a 10-15 meter line. If you are using that as an excuse then you are just making excuses for not taking it.

Despite it testing no real world skills someone that couldn’t pass it shouldn’t be allowed on the roads.[/quote]

What do you mean by “idling along”?
10 KPH or less? Some one said that there is a speed limit. What about putting the foot down?

Might as well take it already. As for scooter experience. I drive crazy like the rest of them crazy people. Threading the needle when it comes to those scooter and pedestrian only barricades etc.

BTW, I can see the need for the straight line test. I often get stuck behind one of these grandpa types going real slow on a narrow road expertly weaving left or right, never giving you enough room to pass. All you can do is go slow and not fall over. I wonder how they don’t.
Not really weaving but their butt does auto tracking. They do that on the bike paths while walking too.

I don’t know the speed but it’s slow. You put your foot down or touch the metal rail and you fail. It’s possible to fail once (you get a practice run on the course) but it’s not that hard. Nothing compared to the car test. That was filled with all kinds of pointless maneuvers.

I think the car license allows you to drive up to 125cc bikes, at least according to my in-laws.[/quote]

No, it doesn’t. I have a drivers license for a car and was driving 125cc.

No, it doesn’t. I have a drivers license for a car and was driving 125cc.[/quote]

OK… I’m going to do it. At my stage, with a car license and a small bike license, do I have to take a written test. It’s been over… 15 years since I earned the licesnses. Do I have to study again…

Under the old illogical rules ‘no’. If you have a moto license and want a car license you need to take the written (computer) test. If it’s the other way then you don’t. I had to take the test twice because of that.

If you have and accident, the Insurance will check your Driving License. No Driving License and the Insurance will not pay.
So it is a bit crazy to drive without License.

Ralf