Driving without drivers license

[quote=“ralf1970”]If you have and accident, the Insurance will check your Driving License. No Driving License and the Insurance will not pay.
So it is a bit crazy to drive without License.

Ralf[/quote]
+one

And don’t forget, Taiwan jails are designed to torture you not to make you become a better person.

New Rule (The Whole World is becoming Switzerland):

According to Tainan DMV this afternoon, production of a (motorcycle) license is now required in order to transfer registration into your name.

I imagine this is an attempt to reduce the unlicensed driver supply at source, and I’m surprised they didn’t do it sooner.

I assume this will apply to cars as well.

Dunno if they’d accept a valid IDP.

[quote=“Ducked”]New Rule (The Whole World is becoming Switzerland):

According to Tainan DMV this afternoon, production of a (motorcycle) license is now required in order to transfer registration into your name.

I imagine this is an attempt to reduce the unlicensed driver supply at source, and I’m surprised they didn’t do it sooner.

Dunno if they’d accept a valid IDP.[/quote]

I think its a stupid idea for 2 reasons.

In most countries, I can own and plate as many cars as I want, but if I don’t have a license, I cant drive them but I can own them and let friends drive it. Who is to say I cant own a car or motorcycle and lend it to friends who do have a license.

Second, the DMV is simply going to see a huge boom in paperless bikes springing up again like there was when I first came to Taiwan in 2008, whose fines will be noncollectable.

Not a lot of foresight if that is the new rule.

Or they just start impounding paperless bikes when they find them.

This being able to sue the other party for damages and medical costs when you don’t have a license is one of those wild and wacky Taiwan things.

Real men pick up their trashed scooter, drag it to the side of the road, mop up their own blood, and limp over to the hospital for treatment. Then call the other party to say “no worries, all’s forgiven”

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Ducked”]New Rule (The Whole World is becoming Switzerland):

Dunno if they’d accept a valid IDP.[/quote]

I think its a stupid idea for 2 reasons.

In most countries, I can own and plate as many cars as I want, but if I don’t have a license, I cant drive them but I can own them and let friends drive it. Who is to say I cant own a car or motorcycle and lend it to friends who do have a license.

Second, the DMV is simply going to see a huge boom in paperless bikes springing up again like there was when I first came to Taiwan in 2008, whose fines will be noncollectable.

Not a lot of foresight if that is the new rule.[/quote]

Dunno, but I’d assume you probably still can own a vehicle without having a licence, but you couldn’t register it in your name.

If its like in the UK, having a vehicle registered in your name doesn’t imply or prove ownership, and the DMV won’t get involved in ownership disputes.

Someone registered a vehicle I owned (and that they had “acquired”. Long story) with the UK DMV and there wasn’t a thing I could do about it.

On the topic of being fined for driving without a license (which I would highly suggest not doing now that I know for a fact that the theory you won’t be busted for it is completely false), does anyone know if this is something that will affect getting an APRC or JFRV in the future? I was fined for this offense last week and paid it, but I don’t want this to haunt me 2 years down the line or so when I apply for an APRC. Has anyone had this offense on their record and went on to receive an APRC/JFRV without the matter being brought up? I called an immigration hotline and they said it depends on the immigration officer, but that they will definitely have a record of any traffic offenses, paid and unpaid.

I cannot imagine driving w/o a license would stop you from getting an APRC.

Perhaps a DUI/DWI though.

No, you are 100% fine. Driving without a license is a traffic violation here. Just a ticket. It isn’t like getting a DUI. My friend got a DUI here and was still able to get his APRC. So, you are totally fine.

I hate that logic. As if they don’t move out west and do the same thing.