Driving without license

Hey i do not hold international driving license or local taiwan license. I have only my native licese (European union licencse).

What kind of penalty i would get by cops for driving without license? How serious are about those things on island?

My taiwanese girl wants to rent a car so we can a have trip to south, she has a licence but lettin her drive is like no no no :laughing:

I mean i can risk a pentaly of few thousands twd, rather than being nervous whole time when she will drive. But is not worth spending few days or months :roflmao: in prison.

$9000NT if caught.

However, if you have an accident, you’ll probably be held responsible even if it’s not your fault, even though not having a license and fault at an accident are 2 separate things. You won’t go to prison.
I have a license but when stopped I always produce my ARC or some other ID and they are happy with that - I genuinely forget to bring my license with me at times. Only once was I pressured to produce my license weh I was speeding on a heavy motorcycle. I was fined $9000NT, but when I produced my license at the DMV, the wrote it off, but I still got a fine of 600NT or 900NT (can’t remember) for not having my license with me.

[quote=“Bernadette”]$9000NT if caught.

However, if you have an accident, you’ll probably be held responsible even if it’s not your fault, even though not having a license and fault at an accident are 2 separate things. You won’t go to prison.
I have a license but when stopped I always produce my ARC or some other ID and they are happy with that - I genuinely forget to bring my license with me at times. Only once was I pressured to produce my license weh I was speeding on a heavy motorcycle. I was fined $9000NT, but when I produced my license at the DMV, the wrote it off, but I still got a fine of 600NT or 900NT (can’t remember) for not having my license with me.[/quote]

Honestly the chances of you getting a 9000nt fine are slim to none. In my 10 years here I have been pulled over many times before I got my actual Taiwanese scooter license. I never once got a ticket for not having a license, even if I spoke Chinese to the police. Two years ago I decided to buy a car and I still haven’t gotten a drivers license for it. I really would like to, but it is so inconvenient. I got into a small fender bender last year (my fault) and I showed the cops my APRC and Arizona drivers license that is still valid. They didn’t give me a ticket. Instead, since I admitted it was my fault, I just had to pay to replace the other guys bumper. I am not advocating this by any means, but this is Taiwan. The worst thing that would ever happen would be a small fine, but I doubt that would even happen.

Until you hit and seriously injured someone (scooters do tend to come out of nowhere/drunks on scooters) or do something silly like getting caught driving drunk, in which case I’d imagine you’d be in for a world of hurt…

Bottom line is that driving without a license is illegal and you are opening yourself for something to happen, it’s not expensive/time intensive to get, you can probably get around without anything bad happening (and many have) but for the small outlay, why risk it?

I wont deny any of what you said, but 10 years and going strong. One of these days I will get it, or I will get busted. Not too worried either way. To the OP, you will be fine. I would never risk this in America or Canada, but we are in Taiwan.

I drove without a license here for close to 2 years. I live down at the bottom of Hualien County. I think managed to get pulled over 3 times and all 3 times was let off. I guess it helped that my wifes father was a police man :blush:

Although would i recommend it. No Just go do the Taiwan license test. It is so easy and is a joke…

There is NOTHING easy about the backwards S-shape. If it were easy, I’d already have a license. :frowning:

I got caught out on that as well. Had to do the license a couple times. Ended up just booking to classes with a instructor just to practice it. But the price of redoing your license in Taiwan is considerably more cheap than NZ. I think in Taiwan was 300nt. In New Zealand is almost 2800nt

What you need to do is book some time with an instructor. Practice as many times as you need to. And then just get your license done. Or just pay the 10,000 to the instructor and practically buy your license…

wow.

As for the license thing, I have to say that I’ve seen different cops’ behaviour depending on the area. It’s not the same some areas of Taipei than others. And it’s not the same Taipei than one of these small villages in the jungle. I would get the license, really. some cops will do fine you, some others don’t. Some situations are easier to get away with, some others not. Some people can get away with riding/driving without a license, but some others will not be that lucky. A friend of mine was driving without a valid license in Taiwan until he was told explicitly to get the license or he would get his ass fined (weird expression? you teachers tell me :smiley:).

Anyway, each one is free of doing whatever he wants, but to be aware of the consequences is the minimum you can do… so yeah, at least you asked.

Why wouldn’t you just convert your licence to a Taiwanese one? It’s a cheap, reversible process.

I got pulled over today in Pingdong making an illegal left turn.

I didn’t try to use English to get out of it, and admitted I screwed up. He demanded all my paperwork (I gave him the ownership, insurance and international license) and he inspected all the documents carefully for 5 minutes before deciding to let me go with a warning.

I am absolutely sure today that if I said I had no license, it would have been a no go for me, and the cop didn’t look like he was fooling around either. He was just in a good mood that I think would have changed had I not had the right paperwork.

Whatever happened to the rule of not encouraging illegal activity?

@OP: since you do not have a license, the rental agency will rent to you gf and not you. And if anything happens and you do not have a valid license / where not listed as a driver on the rental contract, the rental agency as well as the rental agency’s and opposing party’s insurance companies will come after your gf. That does not mean they will be successful eventually, but you will put your gf into a bad position that has the potential of becoming very expensive.

Long story short: if you cannot tolerate your gf driving take the train or get a license.

Yup, but like it only takes a bit of misbehavior,like speeding, for it to become and issue. I got hit with a 900NT fine for not taking my license out with me. If I didn’t have a license, it would have been 9000NT. It’s the luck of the draw, as you say.

I think i can not do it, am here on visa free entry 90 days… For it probally they demand taiwan id, i mean resident card.

Is simple as that am driving for many years all around europe. I can not let someone unexperience drive me around, specially in traffic as taiwan has… You public transport is convient here but still it does not bring all around mountains…

Just let the girl drive. Being a “good driver” by western standards is overrated in Taiwan. You need to have a Taiwanese mindset to know what the other Taiwanese drivers are planning to do.

True, or kind of. I wouldn’t expect some FOB guy deal with the traffic better than a local.

I drove a car for 8 years without a license, later when we got a new car I drove to the test center and did the test on the spot… it is pretty easy if you are already a competent driver. I practiced the online portion before hand. I think back in the day it was easier to get away without having a license.

One important thing to consider is insurance will v.likely be invalid, so if you do get into any trouble it could become costly very quickly.

1 Like

I think i can not do it, am here on visa free entry 90 days… For it probally they demand taiwan id, I mean resident card.

Is simple as that am driving for many years all around europe. I can not let someone unexperience drive me around, specially in traffic as taiwan has… You public transport is convient here but still it does not bring all around mountains…[/quote]

So, why didnt you get an international licence?

[quote=“hsinhai78”]Whatever happened to the rule of not encouraging illegal activity?

@OP: since you do not have a license, the rental agency will rent to you gf and not you. And if anything happens and you do not have a valid license / where not listed as a driver on the rental contract, the rental agency as well as the rental agency’s and opposing party’s insurance companies will come after your gf. That does not mean they will be successful eventually, but you will put your gf into a bad position that has the potential of becoming very expensive.

Long story short: if you cannot tolerate your gf driving take the train or get a license.[/quote]

Amen

Only flaw in that reasoning HK, is that the Taiwanese drivers don’t know what they are planning to do… :astonished:
Taiwan driving test video…watch to the end…I rest my case :unamused:
http://www.ccfunny.com/v/JR5YwRDj