Dropping school, worried about my Visa status

Hi Forumosa’s

I Just dropped out of Shida because of illness, where i was studying Mandarin on my Second Term. I have been here for 3 months, got my visa renewed on the basis i was studying.

Now im worried that i will have to leave Taiwan, which i cant really afford. I searched the internet, some say i will indeed have to re-enter the country, while others say it should be no problem.

I am scheduled to leave in March 2013, for total duration in Taiwan of just under 6 months.

Can you guys help ease my mind? Thanks!

[quote=“HenrikandJosephine”]Hi Forumosa’s

I Just dropped out of Shida because of illness, where i was studying Mandarin on my Second Term. I have been here for 3 months, got my visa renewed on the basis i was studying.

Now im worried that i will have to leave Taiwan, which i cant really afford. I searched the internet, some say i will indeed have to re-enter the country, while others say it should be no problem.

I am scheduled to leave in March 2013, for total duration in Taiwan of just under 6 months.

Can you guys help ease my mind? Thanks![/quote]

The rules used to be that once you quit your study program that you had 15 days in which to leave Taiwan. The M.O.I. recently changed rules for foreign white collar workers in Taiwan who quit their jobs. They also used to have 15 days in which to leave Taiwan upon terminating their employment, but now it’s been changed to 90 days. There has been no word regarding student visa ARC holders. So, for you, it could be the old rule of 15 days, or it could have also been changed to 90 days like with foreign white collar workers.

At any rate, you’re residing in Taiwan as a student on a student visa based ARC. Now that you’ve quit, your purpose for staying in Taiwan is no longer valid. Go to the NIA immediately and see what your options are at this time.

Exactly. Even though you may have an ARC or visa whatever that says you can stay until March 2013, that is no longer valid. You shouldn’t just drop out, even if it is sudden illness. There are pricedures at teh school, some paperwork, and you can “postpone” the departure -extend your visa, whatever.

Thos ewho say you leave etc. are thinking about what is known as a visa run. That is a risky proposition, one that is costly and may/may not work. Anyways, it is an extra complication you shouldn’t have to risk.

Go to the nearest NIA office to your residence. Take the medical paperwork. See if you can continue your studies at a later date. Fix the issue.

I will be visiting my Danish Consulate and go to the NIA tomorrow then, and hear what my options are. Thank you!

Hi,

I was hospitalized in 2009 for 3 weeks due to pneumonia and I also couldn’t reach the target points in class because of that. I had to repeat the first lessen, but with the letter form the hospital it was no problem to extend my visa. As you might know, you are only allowed to miss 12 hours . If you stay at home without seeing a doctor and miss more than 12 hours, there is simply nothing you can do. You might find a lucky NIA employee who still gives you an extension. I believe your visa is only valid for 60 days and you need the schools approval or point sheet in order to extend and extend and extend. Maybe the school can help you here out as well?

I stayed at home, so i have no proof. I talked to the school, but they unable or wont help me with my Visa. They said they are telling Taiwan that i am no longer attending school, so my Visa will not be valid i guess. I have very little knowledge of all this Visa stuff, so i guess i will ask NIA office tomorrow what they recommend. I just hope i dont have to fly out to hong kong and back, as it is very expensive :frowning:

Hurry with that, as as soon as the school tells NIA, your visa will no longer be valid. DO NOT, I repeat, do not overstay under NO circunstances. You will run into serious trouble if you do.

The school won’t help because unfortunately way too many people before you have played the system and go on holiday/on a bender and forget about school. The school is not willing to help anymore, innocents pay for the party and all that jazz.

Remember leaving and getting another visa won’t be that easy.

why not consider leaving Taiwan early ?

Go back and come back to taiwan again in the future as the case warrants?

I have just returned from NIA, and they told me it wouldnt be a problem for me staying. So for future visitors with similar problems, dress up nice, and talk to NIA and see if they can help you out.

Thank you very much Forumosa’s users for your help and advice.

[quote=“HenrikandJosephine”]I have just returned from NIA, and [color=#FF0000]they told me it wouldnt be a problem for me staying[/color].[color=#FF0000] So for future visitors with similar problems[/color], dress up nice, and talk to NIA and see if they can help you out.

Thank you very much Forumosa’s users for your help and advice.[/quote]

Ok…But this is a most unhelpful response. Please provide EXACT details regarding what you revealed to the NIA and what they told you in response.

1. It’s not a problem for you to stay in Taiwan on a student visa ARC, but not go to school?

2. It won’t be a problem for you to stay in Taiwan indefinitely?

3. You don’t need to change your student visa ARC to any other status?

We need details. The only thing you have said is that the NIA is great and that they will help you out. Come on. Pay it forward! :no-no:

Okay, i will try to clear it up.

I dont have an ARC, i have a Visitors Visa for 90 days, that i have extended for another 90 days on the grounds that i was studying. My second semester of school (the extended visa period), i dropped out of school cause of illness, and had no proof of it.

I asked on this forum what i should do. I took the advice to go to National immigration agency and ask them what to do.

I arrived at NIA and asked the information desk for help on my situation. I told them i would spend my last 2-3 months (i leave early march) in Taiwan as a turist, if that was okay. They asked to see my passport, which already had the stamp that said i could stay until march. The person then took my passport and went off for a minute, probably to ask some of her colleagues, then came back and said it was not a problem.

It was not necessary for me to change my visitor Visa. I will have to leave Taiwan in March. Eventhough i got my Visa extended on the basis of studying, they did not revoke my extended Visa status.

I hope this clears it up a bit :slight_smile:

Yep, now it is clear. They indeed help if you are 1. straightforward 2. go there BEFORE expiration dates/overstays, etc. And yes, being nice and polite helps.

Glad to hear your situation is OK and you can stay without worries. Enjoy the good life as a tourist, hang out as much as you possibly ($$$) can and if possible, take lots of pictures and post them for those of us not able to be there.

[quote=“HenrikandJosephine”]Okay, i will try to clear it up.

I dont have an ARC, i have a Visitors Visa for 90 days, that i have extended for another 90 days on the grounds that i was studying. My second semester of school (the extended visa period), i dropped out of school cause of illness, and had no proof of it.

I asked on this forum what i should do. I took the advice to go to National immigration agency and ask them what to do.

I arrived at NIA and asked the information desk for help on my situation. I told them i would spend my last 2-3 months (i leave early march) in Taiwan as a turist, if that was okay. They asked to see my passport, which already had the stamp that said i could stay until march. The person then took my passport and went off for a minute, probably to ask some of her colleagues, then came back and said it was not a problem.

It was not necessary for me to change my visitor Visa. I will have to leave Taiwan in March. Eventhough i got my Visa extended on the basis of studying, they did not revoke my extended Visa status.

I hope this clears it up a bit :slight_smile:[/quote]

And now we know the rest of the story! Crystal clear. :bravo:

Thanks.