Drowning in plastic

Some thoughts. Taiwan per capita is bad in terms of littering. But taiwan is also great recycling. Im amzed how simple the regulatirs are in their depth of thought.

Plastics can be recycled, thats not the issue. AT ALL! The issue is recyclables need to be SORTED. So there is a multi pronged approach to this. O e is at home/business level. Which means people need to be educated about different plastics etc. Where the government could really help out is instead of knee jerk bag and steaw bans, regulate packaging and labelling.

Take a bottle of coke, or whatever, as an example.

There is the main body of the bottle. Its recycleable, heavy and easy to sort. So not only does it work ok (in todays standards) it is big, easy and fairly clean for grandma to sort and make miney recycling. Aka taiwans good recycle numbers.

Problem: the labels are a different plastic and taiwan is pathetic at recycling “soft plastics” as are most countries. Easy solution is make those types of labels consistent in material base. This is easy as per labelling regulations in taiwan, all things considered, through FDA and labelling laws.

Second, the caps. Actually caps are easy to recycle. But lets face it, when you throw a bottle into recycle because you care about recycling, how often do you screw the lid back on? If not you, most people do. And the lid is normally a different type if plastic than the bottle body.

Hird is the lower “seal” ring below the cap. It is very easy to point fingers at consumers for being ignorant and/or lazy with the labels and caps as far as not separating them. But that annoying little ring under the cap left of the bottle tey and figure a way for someone without much hand strength/dexterity trying to remove those suckers.

Then think how recycle works on scale. In the millions of tonnes. It must be efficient on scale or it cant happen. Including collecting, compacting then transporting. It needs to be separated in the beginning which is a logistics nightmare!

Best solution, make packaging consistent with recycling to streamline the process. That is just the bare minimum of no phucks given, reducing and changing away from plastics is the obvious route of the future. But packaging laws can make a massive dent almost instantly withiut much worry from politicians about votes…easy as!

Ps. Taiwan already has lots of packaging laws. From a manufacturers perspective this wpuldnt be a big problem. The problems would only arise from taiwan companies tending to be too lazy to try and make money

Even the streets of Taipei city was dirty full of trash. Those were my childhood memories of Taiwan, dirty and trash everywhere.

It’s impressive how people all recycle religiously, i was even shunned because I didn’t understand how to recycle food waste at McDonald once. And people visiting have been impressed with how clean the city is. Yes there is still some dirtiness but for a major city, it’s pretty good.

1 Like

The streets are clean.
The rivers are disgusting!
Another few decades…m

1 Like

I think we are actually moving in that direction. I see more and more young people care about waste and recycling. This was not a thing I saw people did maybe 20 years ago.

These things take time, we honestly never thought we could make such a mess maybe just 50 years ago. We humans have always been so small and insignificant on earth. People never thought we could actually impact the environment at all. But we approach 8 billion people and create more and more things to consume, we are slowly changing our habits. I think we are actually making some good progress relative to the time we had to figure out something on such a global scale.

Very very true. The general masses are eventually getting the picture. As nice as that is, its kind of already a 50 year old problem that isnt being sved nearly as fast as it can be, and needs to be.

At government levels, for controlling manufacturing they could solve this overnight…ok, in 6 months, but thats still scary fast.

Think about how government controls work and how us manufacturers pretty much change as soon as laws take force. Its so easy.

Im sure it has absolutely nothing to do with taiwans massive plastics industry lobbying the gov though.

Think how other sectors work and their speeds. Andrew, how fast was your kra tom banned? About 2 years, plus 1.5 if count the preliminary reviewing stuff nd copying the US “facts”. This is medical and “justice” industry related.

Food products are constantly under tight controls. Things like licorice are illegal tonsell alone unless you are a registered medicine company. There are MANY foods like this in taiwan. Thisbis TCM lobby and control. They are even reviewing things like cinnamon to become medicine nd follow the same sets of rules.

Recently i also read them reviewing butterfly pea in a similar manner.

If they can control something as common and everday as cinnamon in order to control its dispersal, it doesnt seem so complicated for them to make a packaging requirement for certain things like beverage bottles to be designed for recycling (as in types of plastics used as per stripping procesures for reuse). The whole thing is beyond simple qith what we as a species already know and can accomplish on scale. Quite embarrasing. But this is yet another case where Taiwan could easily, efficiently and cost effectively show case to the world we are (could be) world leaders in innovation. Actually very little R & D needs doing now. Just dump some cash on it instead of 0.1% of the roads being repaved every year and taiwan is showcased as innovative: and amazing :slight_smile:

I think that means we have done well in water flow management. The romans and inca could be proud!

cool solution

It’s actually pretty hard to make a biodegradable coffee cup that functions well.
Would like to see somebody road-test their cup, lid and all.

What makes it not function well. I don’t know much about biodegradable material.

I mean designing a well functiining biodegrabke cup is a really hard challenge.
Because it has to be cheap enough to have a market first. If the economics aren’t there it’s pointless.
Then have a lid that works well.
Then can withstand high heat.
Withstand the liquid from infiltrating the paper and it disintegrating in your hand.
It’s very difficult to do without plastic and wax getting involved . Very few disposable coffee cups can be recycled worldwide .

Paper cups are biodegradable.

A better solution is do away with this whole “throwaway society” stuff.

Encourage people to bring reusable cups. Charge deposits on takeaway cups that are very durable and upon return the deposit is returned. I mean hard, insulating, heat resistant plastic. Discounts for bringing your own cup, etc.

You can’t use paper cups that’s my whole point…They look like paper cups but they actually have a bunch of other stuff in em.

1 Like

I’ve been involved in designing and sourcing biodegrable products previously.

It is a HARD challenge (mainly because current disposable products may have excellent functional characteristics ) and there is a LOT of fraud involved in the 'environmental products ’ business because consumers want to do the right thing but they really aren’t knowledgeable enough in most cases to do that. Many companies and individuals exploit this.

If they want to do the right things, then bring your own reusable cup and use that. A lot of tea shops are beginning to give small discounts for bringing your own cup.

Wtf

Terrible