Drug "rehab" sentence

I’ve got a friend who smoked pot last summer and got caught. Now, she just received a sentence to go to rehab, then her lawyer appealed, but it was denied.

The odd part of this is that in the appeal denial decision they wrote how they were doing this to help her. She had not touched MJ since that time so I’m not sure what they will rehab. She was sentenced 9 months after she was caught.

It says the maximum time is 60 days but there are opportunities for early release based on the doctor’s reports. Does anyone have any experience or tips to share?

My friend is scared shitless as she has never been in a jail and there is very little information about what to expect. I’m afraid this fear will take over her and then they’ll think she is an addict!

Thanks in advance.

They will rehab her “addiction” towards weed. I know, stupid for weed. But Taiwan looks at weed the same as cocaine,meth and heroin basically. Probably do group therapy where they talk and write journals and “home work” self reflecting. I don’t think it’s a jail. More like a mental institution she can’t leave orderd by the judge. It’s not too bad from what i understand.

3 Likes

There should be a tread somewhere about a couple that went through the ‘rehab’ some years ago.

rehab link

2 Likes

It’s a rehab not a jail. More like a secure clean living center. She didn’t get sentence over a,year so it won’t affect her APRC if she has one. It involves waking up early, doing early exercise, attending lectures, discussions and some chores. She’ll be let out early if she just agrees with what they say.
on probation if shes staying here.

1 Like

You get that first-hand? Everything I’ve heard suggests it’s basically jail. I hope you’re right, to be clear.

1 Like

That couples experience definitely sounded like they went to jail.
Might have changed ?

Don’t know why people smoke pot in Taiwan.

1 Like

Ok. I asked my buddy from the when I did conscription that went.

I apologize, I need to correct the information.

It is indeed like jail. For the first month for him, he couldn’t leave his room. And you do 5 hours of force meditation in your room. You are in there with 10 or so other people.

2nd month you get to move to a more relaxed room. 2 hours of meditation a day. You have classes you go to.

Only blood relatives may visit. Hope she doesn’t smoke as that’s limited.

Food is terrible, you have to wake up early around 6 and light out around 10.

1 Like

That’s not true what your buddy said about not being able to leave your room. Also spouses can visit not only blood relatives.

Yes spouses included.

He said he couldn’t leave the room unless it’s for some things like showering or class for the first month.

1 Like

ok yes that’s true. In prison you couldn’t leave your cell for anything but a cold shower in the first month… If you were good you could leave your cell to sweep leaves etc. You were almost always shackled. The drug treatment facility is way better than the prison and they also respect religious freedom there.
drug rehab

The system is well over the top for weed but let’s remember they have meth and heroin addicts in there. Weed makes up a tiny number of the patients. The lady should just go along with it and she’ll be out soon. No need to worry about being shanked , bullied etc. All the best to her. She will be fine apart from a waste of time and the risk of depression etc.

1 Like

I don’t know why people smoke pot in Taiwan either. For that matter, I’m not sure why people knowingly violate any laws in a foreign country other than they see others do it and think that no one cares. Life is hard enough as an outsider to have this kind of trouble.
But this is all water under the bridge now. I’m hearing that her lawyer will file a request to change the start date of the rehab so that she doesn’t inconvenience her employer.

Drugs = BAD. :slight_smile:

My views on MJ have changed over the years especially with the opioid epidemic in the US. Some of my older family members have chosen CBD oil and/or gummy bears over the prescription stuff because it gives them relief from things like arthritis pain and helps them sleep. The prescription pain killer sides effects are much worse according to these two relatives from different sides of the family. I’ve never know anyone to die from MJ. I don’t use it but I won’t judge granny if it makes her feel better. At 85+ years, I’m glad they do what they want.

Doesn’t matter if bad or good, pot often equals jail time here . 1 to 2 months is not trivial.
Just smoke it somewhere else! Smoke a cigarette…Chew binglang…Get an e cigarette

Oh yeah smoking pot isn’t harmless either e.g when driving a car.

I’ve smoked since I was a teen but never in Taiwan.

1 Like

Oh god, I couldn’t handle life here without being baked 24/7.

:syringe::syringe::syringe:

1 Like

Do baked people wake up at 8:30 am to post? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dammit you’re on to me.

Not just awake, in office. I’m such a :black_large_square:

1 Like

There is such a thing as “wake and bake” you know

1 Like

Yeah. You’ve been found out. Another example of why I don’t smoke pot because I think I’d just not worry about doing anything. I had a short conference call at 8am. Drinking whiskey with a friend until 2am was not a good choice for me either.

Thought that was “shake and bake”…or is that another thing entirely?