Drug use in Taiwan 2021, an issue?

Really? Cigarettes, nothing? ghost/god money? Incense? Burning garbage, fields and our hopes and dreams? Are you, as the computer folks say, trolling me?

1 Like

Major issue? I would argue Taiwan has got things pretty under control, mostly thanks enforcement, a historically anti-drug culture and laws that treats drug dealers as on par with terrorists. We have no legions of ketheads pooping on the sidewalk and dealers openly operating in public like the US or Canada.

For me a major issue would be something like this

2 Likes

Nope, they poop air pollution instead, which is even nastier.

2 Likes

The reason for that is because all the precursors for making.meth are legal and you can mail order reagents to your door cheap and fast. If anything, it shows how criminalizing drugs is worse than having fairly clean and pure ones available.

Taiwan has a HUGE A/meth problem. K as well. and historically opium/H were HUGE here as well. Though all fairly pure and free from bullshit. The difference is the the purity (due to legal chems to make said stuff) as well as the culture enabling addicts in the sense families will still give an addict shelter and financial support here. In the west, homelessness is a big issue, also based on such issues. And we have a fair share of mental illness here as well.

Those are the real differences. once the elders die off and this family structure evolves into something.else, expect more of western style drug issues. And if they ban more chems, expect more overdoses due to dirty drugs and straight wrong drugs being soldā€¦also like the west. Theother adadvantage we have here is a warm country. In cold countries, homeless people tend to migrate towards warmer streets and/or more lucritive ones.

Regardless of all that, it is silly to compare such substances to weed and various other herbals. in any sense. The only similarity they have is that the government has made them illegal and literally created a criminal black market by doing so. Otherwise, like comparing walking to flying.

2 Likes

Almost 50,000 drug busts last year 2020 in Taiwan.

You know itā€™s probably easier to obtain meth than weed in Taiwan as you can (if you are using personally) just buy the precursor chemicals and make it yourself. Growing weed is far more involved, and youā€™d still have to somehow find the seed which is in itself illegal.

Do they ever just put a bit of meth in that paste that accompanies betel nuts, and market the package as a black label betel nut? Maybe something that is under the counter that you have to ask for. I think betel nuts would be a good gateway drug for the meth industry. I canā€™t be the first person to have thought of this.

Wonā€™t take too long before they get bustedā€¦

Or beer!

2 Likes

Iā€™ve literally done mushrooms at NTU.

My Bloody Valentine.

Mushrooms didnā€™t kick in till I was driving home. Nek minit, fuck me them traffic lights are off the hook. :mushroom:

1 Like

Thatā€™s where they came from, China!

I had just two cops from Xinzhu delivering some confiscated drugs to the CIB evidence vault.

Itā€™s @gainā€™s experience, but it does feel highly unlikely. A uni where nobody takes drugs. Not even the academic faculty?

1 Like

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one thatā€™s been at a club when the police came in and turn the lights off and shut down the music and the dance floor was suddenly covered with baggies and dope and drugs and powders and pills.

Brass Monkey was one and that wasnā€™t even a weekend or late at night, around 10pm. I think it was ladys night but donā€™t remember detailsā€¦

Couple different dance clubsā€¦

Itā€™s not unlikely at all. Drugs are not on peopleā€™s radar at all.

Iā€™ve been living here for a while and Iā€™m still not used to the lack of drug users living in the streets. Itā€™s a common problem to a bigger or lesser degree in pretty much every country that I visited in the west.

I was shocked at the amount of drug users/homeless people in Los Angeles, never seen anything like it in Brazil where I lived most of my life.

Drug use on the streets hasnā€™t really reared its ugly head in most of Asia yet. Maybe it will or maybe it wonā€™t.

The Asian tigers are still doing well and keeping people employed and may be due to the culture yeah donā€™t really see the drug-use revealing itself on the street.

There is plenty plenty plenty of drug use in Asia but itā€™s not so visible down to the street level where so many people are just drugged up streetside like in America or Canada or yeah of course the European countries that have that problem.

30,000 students.

1 Like

Cali is a dump.

Yeah it is in Bangkok, just go under the bridges. It was in the Philippines too until they started shooting them.