Dry cleaning alternatives

I have a Burberry trench coat I got a few years ago as a college graduation present from one of my relatives who had since then passed away. I have never sent it out to be dry cleaned ever since I got it, but it’s starting to smell a little bit.

Lately I had been wearing it outside pretty much whenever it rained, and because Taipei is so humid that I’ve contemplated getting it cleaned to prolong its life. However, because it has a lot of sentimental value to me I’m just so paranoid and afraid that if I sent it out to be dry cleaned the shop might lose it and I’d never get it back.

Because of this, I’m considering other alternatives. Turns out that there’s a product called Dryel that lets you do your own dry cleaning. Basically you put your stuff in a bag along with a sheet of cloth soaked in dry cleaning solvent, and tumble dry it for half an hour then hang it up to be air dried. Honestly it sounds pretty good but I’ve done some searches and no one seems to sell this stuff in Taipei.

So are there other alternatives you guys have tried?

[quote=“catfish13”]I have a Burberry trench coat I got a few years ago as a college graduation present from one of my relatives who had since then passed away. I have never sent it out to be dry cleaned ever since I got it, but it’s starting to smell a little bit.

Lately I had been wearing it outside pretty much whenever it rained, and because Taipei is so humid that I’ve contemplated getting it cleaned to prolong its life. However, because it has a lot of sentimental value to me I’m just so paranoid and afraid that if I sent it out to be dry cleaned the shop might lose it and I’d never get it back.

Because of this, I’m considering other alternatives. Turns out that there’s a product called Dryel that lets you do your own dry cleaning. Basically you put your stuff in a bag along with a sheet of cloth soaked in dry cleaning solvent, and tumble dry it for half an hour then hang it up to be air dried. Honestly it sounds pretty good but I’ve done some searches and no one seems to sell this stuff in Taipei.

So are there other alternatives you guys have tried?[/quote]

hmm…so let me get this straight, instead of taking your cherished possession to a professional, you’d rather throw it in a bag with a chemical solvent and tumble dry it?

if you say both options out loud to yourself, I am pretty sure one sounds much stupider (more stupid?) than the other.

Some of my workmates say that most mom-and-pop dry cleaners around town don’t own their own dry cleaning equipment and they usually pool all of their stuff together and send them out to bigger companies, and as a result things do get lost, whether accidentally or intentionally.

Because of that, a lot of them tell me not to send expensive pieces of garment out to be dry cleaned.

In addition, my coat also says that it cannot be dry cleaned by trichloroethylene and I don’t think that the dry cleaners in my area understood me when I asked them what solvents they used.

Take it to the dry cleaners in the World Trade Centre next to 101. Good Drycleaners, and they won’t lose it. And you can ask them about the solvent, ofcourse take a chit with both English and Chinese written on it.

Wiki says,