Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Thanks for the replies. Honestly, I’m not suggesting anyone should stop drinking. I’m not on a moral quest. And I’m not going to be dissing alcohol on here. It’s simply a chance for me to evaluate my own habits and why I use alcohol when I have strong emotions. And hoping to keep accountable with a few others who have their own reasons.

Should anyone wish to join myself, the good bovine doctor and our Kaoshiung buddy feel free. Otherwise, carry on drinking. It’s all good.

10 Likes

I can now hear the ceaseless clatter of mahjong tiles in my mind.

4 Likes

Oh, that makes total sense - I do the same thing every few years.

And an incentive for those who aren’t seeking to entirely quit, but just spend a month dry: goddamn [good] booze tastes good after a month away.

1 Like

Not a bad suggestion, to be honest. I’m on my way to zero alcohol (easier than zero carbon) for health reasons.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’ll join you on that. Let’s have a dry January 2nd and keep each other accountable.

1 Like

:pray:

A start is a start. Keep us updated on your progress.

1 Like

I’m fairly happy with the amount I drink in Taiwan, personally. I probably drink a little too much when I go out to a bar, but that’s rarely more than once a week if that and I seldom drink at home (though I have some decent whiskies and rums here). My drinking habits here are probably healthier than most other places I’ve lived, anyway.

I’m fairly confident I could manage a dry month if I wanted to, and it’s not unusual that I don’t drink for two or three weeks at a time anyway just because I’m busy with work and don’t have time to do anything social. Still, I don’t think I’d want to commit to a full month in advance because I don’t see much need for it (for me) and would then have to deliberately avoid drinking and the rare times I do anything social just for the sake of keeping the commitment.

Good luck, though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks Andrew. The way I see it, I’m going to spend the month working on allowing myself to feel all my emotions. I’m going to focus on that rather than on the abstinence of alcohol. It’s not about denying myself something, it’s about allowing myself something.

You do you, mate. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I haven’t drunk since 2011 but the nights have been tremendously long as of late and it’s tempting to have something to “look forward” to…

Will be better as the days get longer

5 Likes

Nice run!

3 Likes

If it was an issue, dont tempt fate :slight_smile: Sobriety is a super important thing for some. I have the highest respect for those that quit and manage to avoid the temptation. Those that do tell the urge to fuck off are absolutely top notch in my books.

3 Likes

I’m probably the only one here who loves mahjong, but I’m always out of the country during CNY (pre-Covid and finally again next month). Stars aren’t aligning for me. Wait a minute…I forgot that CNY’s mahjong includes spending all day with in-laws and inane relatives. OK, nevermind, I am the lucky one.

Good luck with your dry January everyone!

4 Likes

I’m doing it until CNY I meet girlfriends family 4 days in Tainan who drink like fish, be difficult not to.
My reason for stopping is I don’t know when to! my tolerance to alcohol becomes dangerously high.
Lower tolerance and try to keep it down.

1 Like

Tolerance definitely goes up with daily drinking, but don’t expect a huge difference if you’ve always been able to hold your liquor. I had a few drinks after 43 days of abstinence (probably close to 1/2 a bottle of whisky but it was good stuff). I was fine and even went swimming the next day during the lunch break.

I had no idea. Good for him.

I’m in, superduperkingman.

The Silence of the Lambs star previously acknowledged he was “very difficult to work with” early in his career because he “was usually hungover.” He encouraged his young followers to “be proud of yourself.”

“Don’t let yourself be put down. Depression is part of being alive, sometimes as is anxiety. Life is tough. But if you need help with any addiction or problem, talk to someone. Talk to someone you respect, whether it’s a counselor or to go to a 12-step program,” Hopkins continued. “It doesn’t cost a thing, but it will give you a whole new life.”

Hopkins noted he’s no “do-gooder” but rather “an old sinner, like everyone.”

4 Likes

Oh well I’m committed by telling all that would listen 1 I think.
I speculate depression followed by encouragement from others to start drinking again.
Day 1. Already thinking about the half bottle of Jameson I have left.

1 Like

There’s four of us! Nice.

1 Like

I wish I drank enough to bother

3 Likes

I have half bottle of Macallan 12 that has 5 or so years of dust on it. It wasn’t easy letting it sit there. Thing is I can’t remember what it tastes like now. It’ll be easy doing a month.

When can I pick it up?

4 Likes