Dry January and Beyond (Ongoing Accountability group)

Doctors gonna do whatever they’re gonna do. Irrelevant. In this thread people are looking for positivity about not drinking. Doom and gloom about inevitability of illnesses of severe alcoholism doesn’t exactly exude positivity.

1 Like

Ask a doctor, mate. This is a thread about grey area drinking.

3 Likes

I’ll keep it going until the 100 day mark. I’m still trying to decide whether this will be permanent. I’m hoping I’ll know the answer by then.

4 Likes

I say go for it. :+1:

2 Likes

I have done the “I don’t drink” thing before. I don’t do a lot of grocery shopping, so I don’t see alcohol. We rarely go to bars here, so that’s easy. The last thing is eating out with friends. I avoid it unless it’s breakfast or brunch. I don’t think I want to be around drinking people right now.

Whatever works for me is what works. I stopped counting but I stopped drinking 12/31/22.

6 Likes

Living through ALL of my emotions sober, that really is a challenge. But nothing worth having is easily come by.

:v:

3 Likes

I don’t think I want it yet either. Had a little of that during LNY. But not yet with friends I used to drink with.

Ain’t that the truth. I really did enjoy having 2-3 hours in the evenings just vegging out, thinking of nothing until bedtime, especially when something crappy happened at work.

But what goes up must come down. And it’s so nice now not having all this stuff I put off working through in my mind when morning comes.

I just noticed my message number is 666. Hmmm.

1 Like

Agh!

Agreed. Things don’t get put off. I’m ruminating less, and tough emotions are getting processed properly now. I told a stranger to fuck off last Sunday. She had earned it. :grin:

1 Like

Welcome to the real club. :imp:

1 Like

I will not drink alcohol today

3 Likes

In South Africa, alcohol is only sold in liquor stores, which close a 5 p.m. And they’re not open on Sundays. You’ve run out of beer and whisky? Tough shit.
In Taiwan it’s more difficult. Wanna drink? Just a 5 minute walk, 24/7.

3 Likes

In London I can have it driven (for a couple of quid) to my house 24/7 through a service called Getir. Uber Eats are now getting in on the act too.

I remember in Sweden it wasn’t easy to get alcohol, you had to go to the one dedicated shop. It meant all the homeless wino types hung around that shop though.

Had a layover in Malaysia once on the way to Taiwan. No alcohol in the supermarkets.

In Lidl in England, the alcohol is right at the front of the shop, and on the aisle ends, and in the ‘last chance to buy,’ area, and in its own dedicated aisle before the tills.

Impulse buying, eh? Just when you thought you were out, they pull you back in.

1 Like

Absolutely. I found myself inexplicably buying a bottle of Bucks Fizz at the till last month during my wobble. Took it home, opened it, tried a mouthful, binned the lot.

1 Like

It’s like tobacco products. You’re not allowed to advertise them, but, damn, you can make them look alluring in shops with no doors and windows, just as you exit the supermarket.

We have fixed that here, finally. All cigarette packaging is stripped of branding, contain graphic warnings and they are all now kept behind closed opaque doors.

It seems most people here vape now. Vaping isn’t subject to the same rules and are in glass display cases with highly visible colourful packaging.

I pity anyone who vapes. Poor sods.

4 Likes

Jesus…that guy on the package burned his whole dick off. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

A pack in the UK also costs as much as a house. Cheaper to head over to France and Spain and grab a couple of cartons.

I am offended by your poor use of pronouns. He identifies as a woman.

1 Like

I liked this one back home
warnings-4-eng

Yeah, Canada is crazy expensive. They keep slowly raising the prices as a way to stop smoking and pay for the heath care

1 Like