DSL Connectivity in Taiwan

No wonder creztor, you are using 1.5M/384k, that’s big difference compared to 512/64k, so that’s why you have good quality because you are paying more bucks than others here

It’s true that Hinet ADSL sometimes really sucks and it’s slow as a ninja turtle :laughing: like others said slower than a 56k dialup connection

With Sparq 512/64 you not only get better quality, but you also get a fixed IP, so what are you waiting for?

Cheers,

Chico,
I was on the 768/128 plan with Giga. All I have to say is sorry I’ve never had “dialup” speeds with HiNet. I get very good speeds with HiNet, yes I know 1.5/384 is expensive. Anyway as I said this could go on forever, Sparq vs HiNet so I got an idea, you pay for a new phone line and adsl connection with Sparq at my house so I can test them out ok? What ya think, come on, you know this is a good idea :smiley: Im just happy that he is now considering getting OFF GigaShit. Sorry I cant remember who started the post, I’m way too tired to remember, my apologies, oh i guess I could just edit it later…(submit)…(edit)… Flipper!!! :slight_smile:

I had the GigaMedia cable modem for about 8 months. At first it was phenomenally fast As they signed more subscribers to my neighbourhood it slowed to a crawl, unless you wanted to surf 3-6am. I ditched it when they totally stopped service for a week. They still haven

Richard wat Hi Net plan u on?

I’m on the 512/64kps. It works pretty good (very steady). However, I do a lot of voice messenging and the 64kps uploading speed seems a bit slow.

You need the 1.5/384 package. True it dont have the same speed as cable but its very nice. I thought about getting the standard 512 when I joined up but thought wat the heck lets try this 1.5/384, and very happy I did. Very good speeds.

Do you know if you can just phone Hinet to change the plan you’re on? If I switch to the 1.5/384 plan I don’t want them to have to actually come to my apartment.

Richard

Do you know if you can just phone Hinet to change the plan you’re on? If I switch to the 1.5/384 plan I don’t want them to have to actually come to my apartment.

Richard

I dont think you can do it over the phone, you’ll have to fill in some paper work, this is just a guess, coz knowing Taiwan u need a paper trail or something, if im wrong then thats great i stand corrected. They wont need to go to ur house, they will charge you some fee, mabye 500NT to “upgrade” to the faster speed, im not sureon that price, i asked them at the time i joined, wat if i got 512, can i upgrade later? They said yes but will be a fee involved. anyway they wont need to go to ur house, if ur lucky mabye a phone call or doing it on the web is enuff, if not just some paper work and u should be fine. its worth it :slight_smile:

[quote=“Richard”]Do you know if you can just phone Hinet to change the plan you’re on? If I switch to the 1.5/384 plan I don’t want them to have to actually come to my apartment.

Richard[/quote]

Richard:

I was on a 512 plan and managed to switch to 1.5 MB without them coming to my place. A collegue of mine called them up, they sent a fax, we filled in the fax, sent it back, and two days later, they called to tell me they had switched. So, if you have somebody at hand who speaks, reads and writes enough Chinese to help you with that, it should work.

HTH
Iris

Well, like a few others here I’m stuck in Giga hell. Basically, their service is non-existent. I had better connection speed with a dial-up. Now, it takes up to a minute for Web pages to download, and I have yet to be able to download any kind of file successfully.

Here’s the bottom line: I have to get better service, and unless I get a written guarantee on their promise of an improvement (yeah, right) I figure I’ll have to switch.

Anybody have an idea of what’s the best way to do this? Anyone know where I can appeal if they give me a hard time? Any idea of what rights I can assert?

Just did it recently, after suffering with giga for a year. found out ironically by asking a giga salesperson on the street that chonghua dianhsin is must faster to the outside world. no hassles at all, called chonghua and requested the change, it took about a week for the guy to come and switch a setting or two on my computer, and get my new connection running, after which i immediately called giga, they e-mailed me a form that i faxed back to them, done.

the new connection seems almost as fast to rest-of-world sites as my moms cable modem back in ny.

Daltongang–thanks for the tip.

I was wondering, though–were there any penalty fees involved? I’ve only had Giga for a week, and I’m really pissed about how bad the service is. I hate the idea of any extra payments.

Anyone getting better Giga service lately? Supposed to be much faster intl connections.

Yes, my Giga connection has improved five fold over the last two weeks. It’s a bit of an arse that it’s improved cos i’m getting hooked up with Hinet today.

I’ve also been playing with some download software called FastNet99 and have been impressed. Call me crazy but it seems like the speed has doubled and it comes pop up free too!

It stores a local table of DNS-IP addresses (the Hosts file located on your Windows directory) and instructs your browser to check that table before asking the DNS at your ISP. This results in a local search without generating TCP/IP network traffic at all.

webattack.com/download/dlfastnet.shtml

You can find out more about it from bods who know all the technical gumpf on the forums at

www.xp-erience.org

Let me know if you find an improvement.

My Giga service improved too, international and domestic connections are a lot faster since about 2 weeks.

Well here it is. The official results of the Giga vrs. Hinet download wars.

I am in the truely enviable position of having Giga Cable @512K and Hinet ADSL @512K connected to my home and am able to run concurrent speed tests.

Tests were performed using Bandwidthplace’s service which comes from a server in San Antonio, Texas, US.

www.bandwidthplace.com

Anyways, on with the show. :smiley:

Giga scored:
Communication: 102 KB/sec
Storage: 12.5 KB/sec

Hinet scored:Communication: 396 KB/sec
Storage: 47.6 KB/sec

Results are averages for 4 tests taken approxmately 2pm Sat 2nd Nov. User resides in the Ta an district approx 2km from ADSL ISP.

Cost per KB/sec (based on monthly fee/storage performance)
Giga = 56NT
Hinet = 23NT

Judge for yourselves!!!

I need to spend my time more wisely :?

My speed on Giga one way cable;

Giga scored:
Communication: 69 KB/sec
Storage: 8.4 KB/sec
1 MB file download: 2 minutes

Bravo, it’s slightly better than a 56 k modem connection…

I must admitt, it’s on a rainy Sunday afternoon (5:00 PM) when every game freak is online.

I am awarded for this speed with a monthly bill of telephone and ISP cost of about 4000 NT$ hip hip hooray!
Thank you so much Giga.

I measured my speed again on Monday morning around 11:15.

Conclusion;

It’s faster but not even close to 512 kb

Giga scored:
Communication: 175.8 KB/sec
Storage: 21.5 KB/sec
1 MB file download: 47.7 seconds

Hooray! Thank you Giga.

Now, I have hinet adsl and it is sthe slowest connection, this boy has ever seen. (claimed to be 512 kbps, but feels like 5.12 kbpm).

Any advice?