Dual Citizen In Taiwan

Hello everyone!

I’m aware this question has been asked numerous times… but I’m a Taiwanese American with US and Taiwanese citizenship. I’m currently in the US but I plan on moving to Taiwan for good. I was born in 1986 and I know the Taiwanese government require all men to serve in the military. I’ve heard stories of people with dual citizenships avoiding the draft by traveling in and out of the country and with other means. Are there members in here with similar situations as me? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Cliffs: Born in 1986 with dual citizenship, looking to stay in Taiwan and avoid military “service”

Why not just serve in the military? It’s a good thing to experience, and you only have to be in for 11 months as of right now. The next generation has it even easier. The kids who are 15 right now, by the time they have to serve, they only have to serve for 4 months.

I don’t mind serving in the military and I do think it will be a rewarding experience. But I’m working on a start-up with a friend and because of the time sensitivity I don’t wish to spend another year doing something else.

My wife just told me that you cant avoid it. She says you will get your letter to report shortly after getting to Taiwan. Her brother got out of it, but only because he tore both of his ACL’s playing football in the US.

My bf has dual citizenship, and avoids military service by leaving the country every four months. However, he also works under the table for his uncle, so maybe if you pay taxes the government will catch on that you’re actually living here. Not sure how that works. Good luck!

[quote=“time_line”]Hello everyone!

I’m aware this question has been asked numerous times… but I’m a Taiwanese American with US and Taiwanese citizenship. I’m currently in the US but I plan on moving to Taiwan for good. I was born in 1986 and I know the Taiwanese government require all men to serve in the military. I’ve heard stories of people with dual citizenships avoiding the draft by traveling in and out of the country and with other means. Are there members in here with similar situations as me? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance :slight_smile:

Cliffs: Born in 1986 with dual citizenship, looking to stay in Taiwan and avoid military “service”[/quote]

On your Taiwan passport you need the
僑居身分加簽
Stating you have overseas permanent residency or non Chinese citizenship.
Hopefully your parents were smart enough to update the 戶口 when you left for the states.

And then you need to fly out once every four month until you turn old like me

The “fly out every 4 months” thing only works for people born before 1985. You have to do military service unless you’re only going to be here a few months out of the year.

You may be able to enter on your US passport and fly out every 3 months but then you lose all the benefits of citizenship.

Thank you everyone for all your feedback, they’re greatly appreciated! I heard you can avoid it by “leaving every 3 months” and it applies to those born before 1985 because someone who hasn’t served in the military cannot stay over 183 days in Taiwan. I hear the 183 days rule is cumulative and not a consecutive stay period. And depending on when you are born, the 183 days resets at the end of each calendar year (December 31st) Is this true? There seem to be different rules and thus “loopholes” for people in different circumstances to avoid it.