Dual Citizenship Eligibility

Hello all,

I am uncertain as to whether I am eligible for dual citizenship in Taiwan (ROC). My father was born in Taiwan but left to live in the U.S. at a young age (5 years old), and unfortunately does not have a Taiwanese ID card or a Taiwanese passport. He does have his birth certificate stating he was born in Taiwan & his U.S. naturalization papers which state his previous nationality as Republic of China (Taiwan). He became a naturalized citizen after my birth, so technically when I was born he was still a citizen of Taiwan.

Based on the research I have done I believe I can qualify for dual citizenship, but am nowhere near 100% sure, and I am hoping that someone could give insight as to my situation.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated~

Thank you,

If he was a Taiwan national when you were born, he should still be a Taiwan national now, unless he purposely renounced his nationality which I don’t know why he would have done. Just because he doesn’t have a passport or an ID, that doesn’t mean he isn’t a national. Get him to go with you to your local Taiwan representative office, and I’m sure you will both be able to get a Taiwan passport, although you yourself may be given a NWHOR passport, which you should be able to turn into a full passport after a year of living in Taiwan.