Dual citizenship for children/travelling question

Our child is both taiwanese and american due to parents nationalities and has both USA and Chinese passport with separate names. Say we want to go to Thailand for a week and we will use the USA passport for entering Thailand visa free but have her chinese name on airline ticket as she leaves Taiwan under her Taiwan passport. Next when we want to leave Thailand to return to Taiwan, Our airline ticket has chinese name but embarkation card has US passport name. We want to use her Taiwan passport to enter Taiwan as then she doesnt need any ARC…

Any suggestions?? or is it too confusing.

Funny, I never thought about this, two times i just used my daughter’s english name from her us passport for the plane ticket and had no trouble leaving or reentering taiwan on her taiwan passport.

deltagang,

Are you saying that you can leave taiwan with daughter USA passport name on ticket but showing a taiwan passport with the Chinese name so that in effect the names do not match?? I didnt think this would be possible but we haven’t travelled yet since the birth so I dont know. Did you show both passports when checking in and for outward immigration when leaving Taiwan?

yep, I’ve done it twice in the last 18 months. i showed her usa passport when checking in but not at immigration I don’t think. that aspect of the situation honestly never occured to me though i did check with ait and some taiwan authority before my first trip, they all told me leaving/reentering taiwan on the taiwan passport and entering/leaving the us on the us passport was no problem.

An airline can refuse to board you or check you in if the name on the passport does not match the name on the passport. I would imagine you could convince them it was the same person on both passports.

Dual nationals may be required to present both passports, if questioned by the airlines or other officials. I’ve seen this occur while standing in line in Hong Kong. It was treated as no big deal as dual nationality is prevalent there, they just needed to see the proper passport(s) with the right visas.

All US citizens must lawfully enter and exit the USA by using a US Passport, if they are dual nationals. That is the US law, and it doesn’t matter if there are no “exit stations” like in Taiwan.

Hi,

I am of a dual nationality as well and the last time I travelled to Thailand I presented first my Taiwanese passaport which did not contain any visas to Thailand, they asked me directly for my other passaport. I had no problems.

Hope this helps.

Actually, the issue of “two” passports is not limited to dual nationals, but many countries will issue “two” passports to single citizenship persons under special circumstances like for anyone traveling to Israel and Arab countries. Having a politically undesireable visa stamp from one country might become a real world barrier to entering another country. For example, does an American citizen really want to enter Saudi Arabia with an Israeli visa in their passport?

Our child has in her ROC passport both names, the western version being in the known as section. This name is the same as that on her UK passport and we have had no issues at all, and we always book here tickets in her western name.
Seemed the easiest solution to the problem.

As log as one of the passports has the childs name then you will be ok. The passport is used to identify the passanger… it’s not required that you use it for travelling on if you are a dual national…

However make life easier for yourself and get your childs English name placed in the ROC passport…

My daughter is a dual national. For the past three years she

[quote=“Taiwan_Student”]My daughter is a dual national. For the past three years she

[quote=“Nian Hua”]Our child has in her ROC passport both names, the western version being in the known as section. This name is the same as that on her UK passport and we have had no issues at all, and we always book here tickets in her western name.
Seemed the easiest solution to the problem.[/quote]

Our son too also has both names on both passports and never had a problem.

We have entered EU many times with the children’s Schengen passports, and they never get stamped…
It’s just some countries find it very interesting to stamp the passports. Sometimes we have to ask the border controls to stamp the passports, just so we have something to “show off” - see my passpoprt, we have been there…