Dual citizenship (French)

Hi
I’m 37 and was born in France, my mom is from Taiwan, i have my taiwanese passport and i’m gonna apply for a TARC to get taiwanese citizenship after a year, but i’m still not sure about one thing, can i have dual citizenship? Because i rather not lose my french citizenship.

You don’t do naturalization. So, you don’t lose your current citizenship.

Technically, you’ve been a national since birth, so you don’t need to give up your French citizenship.

Look in your passport, under the ID number section, is it blank or is there a number? If there is not a number, you are an ROC national without household registration, and you will therefore need to apply for a TARC and live in Taiwan a year before being able to get your Taiwan ID card. If there is a number, then you are already an ROC national with household registration, and all you need to do is apply for your Taiwan ID card, and you will be like every other Taiwanese in Taiwan. Simple really.

Thanks for the reply, i don’t have a household registration, i’m gonna apply for a TARC, the only thing i’m afraid of is that they don’t give me my mom’s household registration if she’s not there with me, since it’s been years she hasn’t been to Taiwan with her taiwanese passport, so i went to yonghe building they said my mom has to be there, then to wanhua where they were more friendly and just said i just need my birth certificate translated with certification and they will give it to me without my mom. I hope i can have it without flying my mom there maybe just bring her taiwanese id.

Do you know if your mother ever registered her marriage to your father? If not, she will probably have to do this before you apply for the TARC. I also tried to do everything without having my mother come to Taiwan, but in the end, she had to come in person to sort out a few things (including the registration of her marriage to my father, who had already passed away, making a bit more complicated).

Yes i have their taiwanese marriage certificat

Good. Best of luck to you during the process! :blush:

I couldn’t get my mom’s household registration, it’s been more than 2 years she hasn’t been in Taiwan with her taiwanese passeport, also my grand parents passed away, is there any other way to have an household to apply for the TARC

When you were born, was your mother’s household registration active? If so, you might be able to get you’re TARC.

my mom is still alive but her household is not active since she hasn’t cameback in taiwan with her taiwanese passport for 2 years, so they don’ want to give me her household;
that’s why i’m asking if i could get any other help for a household. grand parents are gone by the way

At this moment, your mother’s households is deregistrated (inactive). To make it active (registered) again, your mother need to enter taiwan with her taiwanese passport. I thought if you could show her household was active at your birth time, you might be able to get your TARC.

1 Like

I don’t how i can show them that, i got another mariage certificate that says her household is deregistrated, but got denied by an angry lady at the immigration office with this paper

Have your mom call the TECO (or whatever representative office) that serves the region where she lives. It might be possible for her to address this situation through that office, instead of having her come to Taiwan.

When I applied for my overseas passport, she had to do something like that to update all of her own information (and get a new passport for herself). She did end up coming to Taiwan in the end–she didn’t have a valid shenfenzheng–but I believe she was able to register her household from the office in the US.

Also, because we no longer have any property in Taiwan, we were able to actually register her household at a friend’s address. It wasn’t problematic at all.

Good luck with this!