Dual Nationality developments [March 2014]

[quote]All said and done, it is a piece of cake, way too easy.

And just t be clear, my reward for getting the nationality of ROC will be losing my job. But in view of my long term goals, that is not an issue anymore.[/quote]

That’s good news Icon. I do remember you saying that your country of origin will not let you renounce…so what happened in these past few years?

Hope you can finally get ROC Nationality!!!

What IceEagle says. :thumbsup:

The rules of naturalisation and multiple citizenships of Hong Kong and Taiwan are quite similar:

=> foreigners need to renounce in general
=> citizens may have multiple citizenships
=> the way citizenship is conferred is different from Mainland China

There is no reason for Mainland China not to accept ethnic white Taibaozheng holders. They fulfil every requirement. Naturalisation in Taiwan is not seen as invalid by Mainland China authorities. After all the authority in charge of naturalisation in Taiwan is seen as a subordinate of the “Chinese government”. And that is why anyone attempting to become a “Taiwanese citizen” should understand that effectively this means becoming Chinese. It does not matter if one subjectively disagrees - PRC authorities will see you as their citizen and that means a lot of places in the world will agree. Then again you will still not be considered to be a Mainlander by the PRC government wich has its perks (=> Hong Kong people don’t have it bad).

[quote=“speed_maniac”][quote]All said and done, it is a piece of cake, way too easy.

And just t be clear, my reward for getting the nationality of ROC will be losing my job. But in view of my long term goals, that is not an issue anymore.[/quote]

That’s good news Icon. I do remember you saying that your country of origin will not let you renounce…so what happened in these past few years?

Hope you can finally get ROC Nationality!!![/quote]

Well, the ROC treats us like the Japanese that are also in the same boat, so they accept our “renouncing” even though we are still chained for life to our country of origin. Enough of us have done it now so it is SOP. As long as I can get the Taiwanese ID I’m cool. And my long term goals, aside from living here, include starting my own business/no longer depending on a boss. Even if I have to sell pupusas in a night market.

As I have said before, there will be a time I can’t get on a plane and fly 28 hours or more across the globe to renew my passport and ID. Age will catch up. Better start settling here. I ain’t getting any younger.

Pupusas! If and when this happens, let us know! :slight_smile:

Guy

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“speed_maniac”][quote]All said and done, it is a piece of cake, way too easy.

Hope you can finally get ROC Nationality!!![/quote]

Well, the ROC treats us like the Japanese that are also in the same boat, so they accept our “renouncing” even though we are still chained for life to our country of origin. Enough of us have done it now so it is SOP. As long as I can get the Taiwanese ID I’m cool. And my long term goals, aside from living here, include starting my own business/no longer depending on a boss. Even if I have to sell pupusas in a night market.

As I have said before, there will be a time I can’t get on a plane and fly 28 hours or more across the globe to renew my passport and ID. Age will catch up. Better start settling here. I ain’t getting any younger.[/quote]

Well, then I hope, you are making full use of the existing loop hole and not putting things on hold!!!

Hope to see a post from you in the near future saying – " Yippeee I got it and am holding it right now!!! "

Do let us know at which night market you plan to sell pupusas!!!

Wish you all the best!!!

Definitively, guys, I am already Taiwanese at heart. See, I want to become my own boss, not to work for anyone else no 'mo.

That was part of my personality… that emerged after I got to Taiwan. Funny thing!

[quote=“Hartzell”]There have been several articles in the Chinese-language Taiwan press recently about Brendan O’Connell, a Catholic Father who has served in Taiwan for over 50 years. Father O’Connell has founded several local foundations that take care of children with delayed development issues. . . . Now, I think we are ready for the next step. Let’s support Father O’Connell in heading up this new push for dual nationality status.

If anyone can provide contact information for Father O’Connell, whether snail-mail or email, I would be anxious to send him my best regards, including wishes for both ongoing success in his foundational work, and with his MOI negotiations.[/quote]

Richard, I realize it’s been a while since you posted your request but I’m Catholic and active in the local Catholic community and will start asking around for contact information for Fr. O’Connell. My thanks to you for all your efforts in the past to extend the residency rights of us foreigners resident in Taiwan. It was a great community service. If there’s anything else I can do to help the effort please let me know.

Richard, Fr. O’Connell can be contacted at 06 7830 456. www.bethlehem.org.tw

Just made a new website about dual nationality and Article 9 of the Nationality Act. Let me know what you think - any and all comments, suggestions, and criticisms (try to be helpful, please) are welcome!

twnationality.tk/

Should be: 請點進去多了解. Missed a word there.

The similarity in how nationality is applied in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau should be sufficient evidence to understand that there will never be the changes many hope to see. That is unless Beijing reforms their interpretation of nationality law in HK or amends Chinese nationality law altogether. I do not see the Legislative Yuan alter ROC Nationality law in a way that it becomes incompatible with PRC Nationality law. Aside from the constitution, this law is of importance to the One China concept.

I see more chances in Western countries that do accept multiple nationality: why not change Canadian or US or Australian law in a way that any citizen who has given up his nationality to conform with the naturalisation procedure of a foreign country shall be able to unconditionally apply for ex tunc reinstatement. The Philippine government already has such a law in place.

petitions.whitehouse.gov/petiti … p/L8v4Dc26

[quote=“greves”]Just made a new website about dual nationality and Article 9 of the Nationality Act. Let me know what you think - any and all comments, suggestions, and criticisms (try to be helpful, please) are welcome!
twnationality.tk/[/quote]
I think your effort is commendable but it should be the Taiwanese people (ROC citizens) leading such a campaign. Accordingly, the narrative should be more along the lines of “what Taiwan is losing,” and not “why we deserve it.”

I would write “中華民國國籍,” not “台灣國籍” as the latter might alienate some potential supporters.

I’d get a .tw address for the website (an actual DNS delegation, not a frame redirect). That’s $640 per year at the moment at PCHome. I understand you’d also need to pay Weebly for that but I think it’s well worth it. It’s all pocket money anyway, and perhaps some people would be willing to donate. For the address I’d choose something shorter, like “guoji.tw” or “9tiao.tw” (both still free at the moment).

On a more general thought, I’d consider going with a broader name for the website/campaign. Maybe something with “華籍外僑” (a hitherto nonexistent phrase, so all the search results would point to the new campaign, yet an easily-memorized reshuffle of “外籍華僑”)?

Good luck!

[quote=“Doraemonster”]
I think your effort is commendable but it should be the Taiwanese people (ROC citizens) leading such a campaign. Accordingly, the narrative should be more along the lines of “what Taiwan is losing,” and not “why we deserve it.”

I would write “中華民國國籍,” not “台灣國籍” as the latter might alienate some potential supporters.

I’d get a .tw address for the website (an actual DNS delegation, not a frame redirect). That’s $640 per year at the moment at PCHome. I understand you’d also need to pay Weebly for that but I think it’s well worth it. It’s all pocket money anyway, and perhaps some people would be willing to donate. For the address I’d choose something shorter, like “guoji.tw” or “9tiao.tw” (both still free at the moment).

On a more general thought, I’d consider going with a broader name for the website/campaign. Maybe something with “華籍外僑” (a hitherto nonexistent phrase, so all the search results would point to the new campaign, yet an easily-memorized reshuffle of “外籍華僑”)?

Good luck![/quote]

The site is just something I threw together for the moment, and yes I totally agree with you that it should be led by Taiwanese… if any Taiwanese here supports this idea and wants to be involved / put their name on it, I would be more than happy to hand over the reigns and simply be a “contributor”. In fact there is a Taiwanese-led organization called Forward Taiwan that supports dual nationality, but they are pushing for other reforms first and dual nationality is somewhere on the back burner.

Good idea about the “華籍外僑” name, too.

Taiwanese (and Chinese in general) have always liked immigrating to Western countries but feel wary about any 外族人 (= anyone who is not a member of the Chinese races) trying to naturalize. They have built the Great Wall for a reason. I doubt there is support among your average Taiwanese. Even the most progressive and well traveled Taiwanese will overwhelmingly oppose this and say “Oh then there’ll be too many foreigners coming, Taiwan is too small” or “you cannot compare America with Taiwan, this Taiwan”. Ridiculous arguments but that is the truth beyond the often mentioned friendliness of people on this island.

In my experience, I disagree. I’ve asked dozens and dozens, maybe even a hundred locals. I’ve only ever come across one or two who were outright against it, and the vast majority support the idea of reciprocity (i.e., if a Taiwanese can be a X/Taiwan dual national, then an X national should be able to become a X/Taiwan dual national, too.) The problem is not finding people who support it, but finding people who would actually care enough to be involved in promoting it.

The government, yes. The people, not so much. Do you know how many people ask me who I’m voting for in the election? Some of them ask me more than once! And every time they are shocked to hear that not only can’t I vote, I will never be able to vote unless I drop American citizenship and join up in the army. I’m actually not even sure if that option is open to me even if I wanted to.

My point is that a lot of people are willing to accept naturalied citizens who don’t look Taiwanese, but it’s the laws that are not surprisingly behind the times. I think this issue will sort of resolve itself with Taiwan’s decreasing population. To stay alive, the country will need to reform and welcome in immigrants.

[quote=“hsinhai78”]The similarity in how nationality is applied in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macau should be sufficient evidence to understand that there will never be the changes many hope to see. That is unless Beijing reforms their interpretation of nationality law in HK or amends Chinese nationality law altogether. I do not see the Legislative Yuan alter ROC Nationality law in a way that it becomes incompatible with PRC Nationality law. Aside from the constitution, this law is of importance to the One China concept.

I see more chances in Western countries that do accept multiple nationality: why not change Canadian or US or Australian law in a way that any citizen who has given up his nationality to conform with the naturalisation procedure of a foreign country shall be able to unconditionally apply for ex tunc reinstatement. The Philippine government already has such a law in place.[/quote]

What similarity?

If you are a PRC citizen and you get citizenship from another country, you lose your PRC citizenship. They are very strict about this. If you are a ROC citizen, you do not lose ROC citizenship if you get for instance US citizenship.

That is not very similar.

Also, the ROC has a route to naturalization for people who are not descendants of the yellow emperor. I would not know about China or Hong Kong.

I personally know 4 people, 3 of them posters/former posters here who are naturalized ROC citizens, all 4 are western, wit 2 being former americans, 1 former Australian, and on former brit.

On to your assertion that the Taiwanese would have an issue with foreigners becoming ROC citizens, then no, that’s not my impression. When I tell locals that I have lived here 19 years, the most common reaction is that “You must have got your citizenship by now, right?”

They never sem angry. When I tell them that’s I do not have it because I do not want to surrender my original citizenship, they act confused, as they can hae dual citizenship, but I can’t.

Most Taiwanese would be sympatetic, but not extremely interested. No real racial connection in their minds regarding ROC citizenship and children of the Yellow emperor.

That’s a common question I get from time to time, too.