Duck

Why is it that you rarely see duck in supermarkets? It seems strange that it’s a standard dish in restaurants, but not generally available to cook for yourself.

My sub-standard Mandarin and non-existent Taiwanese makes me too nervous to buy meat at the traditional wet markets, but my guess is that duck would be available there?

Even I can buy a duck in a market and my Chinese is embarrassing. The market I go to in NanKan (on Jongshan Road, next to the pool hall) has them but they usually have to nip off to get a frozen one. If you pre-order they’ll get you a goose, too. That’s our family Christmas lunch sorted :lick:

Also, the chickens in the markets are a million times better than in the supermarkets.

[quote=“tomthorne”]Even I can buy a duck in a market and my Chinese is embarrassing. The market I go to in Nankan (on Jongshan Road, next to the pool hall) has them but they usually have to nip off to get a frozen one. If you pre-order they’ll get you a goose, too. That’s our family Christmas lunch sorted :lick:

Also, the chickens in the markets are a million times better than in the supermarkets.[/quote]
I’ll have to check it out. Is it a traditional outdoor market? I don’t know where the pool hall is—are you talking north or south of Ren Ai Rd?

Thanks for the information on where to get one, but I was more bemused as to why you can buy chicken, beef and pork easily but not duck? I suppose it isn’t used in Taiwanese cooking very much?

I suspect it’s because preparing it in the way that people like (ie., roasted Peking Duck) takes an awful lot of time, know-how, and equipment. People just can’t be arsed. They’d rather go to their friendly neighbourhood duck shop and buy it pre-cooked, complete with pancakes and sauce, and I can’t say I blame them; I doubt you could achieve the same result at home even if you wanted to. 台灣好方便喔!

1. Tianmu Butcher just N. of Tianmu Rd. on Zhongshan, east side, near the gym – duck breasts, raw and precooked smoked
  2. Mayful, between the Neihu Carrefour and B&Q, i.e. behind YellowHat and Costco – various kinds including raw breast and confit I think

[quote=“Steve4nLanguage”][quote=“tomthorne”]Even I can buy a duck in a market and my Chinese is embarrassing. The market I go to in Nankan (on Jongshan Road, next to the pool hall) has them but they usually have to nip off to get a frozen one. If you pre-order they’ll get you a goose, too. That’s our family Christmas lunch sorted :lick:

Also, the chickens in the markets are a million times better than in the supermarkets.[/quote]
I’ll have to check it out. Is it a traditional outdoor market? I don’t know where the pool hall is—are you talking north or south of Ren’ai Rd?[/quote]

Yes, it is a traditional market. You must be living on the west side of NanKan. I live nearer the freeway intersection by the Eva buildings. There are several markets - another is just off Renai Road. Any of the poultry vendors will be able to get you a duck. The one I go to is just down from the post office, if that helps?

Carrefour sells ducks. Piddly little things, but ducks nontheless. Matsusei sells duck legs. Admitedly, Wellcome tends not to sell duck very often. However, I’ve never had much trouble buying duck in Taiwan. You are right that other meats are easier to get hold of, but duck is still pretty easy.

Now, lamb outside of insane Costco prices…

Yup, gotta agree. Think about duck in Chinese cuisine. Other than duck tongue, I can’t think of a duck dish that is prepared using pieces of raw duck. All the yummy duck dishes that I’ve had all started with cooking/roasting a complete bird. Peking duck. Slice the meat off the bone. Eat it in those Chinese tortillas. Take the bony bits with meat still on them and stir fry them. The remainder of the carcass is used in soup. Hong Kong roast duck with rice. Chop pieces off of a whole roast duck. Pour duck drippings over the chopped duck. Duck and goose noodle soup. Chop pieces off of a whole cooked duck or goose and put them into the bowl of noodles.

Most people in Taiwan don’t have an oven capable of roasting or smoking a “regular” size duck the proper way, so I’m going to guess that there just isn’t enough demand at most of the local retail markets to carry duck. But they are available, as pointed out in an earlier post.

Boiled and steamed chicken. Had those. Many times. A standard dish at a Chinese wedding banquet is chicken soup. A whole boiled chicken in a pot on every table.

I’ve not seen any actual live Ducks in Taiwan, so they must be sold somewhere

…it’s not the same feeding bread crusts to the turtles

This is a pretty typical site in central Taiwan:

Carrefour sells ducks. Piddly little things, but ducks nontheless. Matsusei sells duck legs. Admitedly, Wellcome tends not to sell duck very often. However, I’ve never had much trouble buying duck in Taiwan. You are right that other meats are easier to get hold of, but duck is still pretty easy.

Now, lamb outside of insane Costco prices…[/quote]

I’ve never seen duck at Carrefour, though admittedly I did stop buying meat there after one too many stinky chickens. They never have it at that cheaper supermarket with the blue stripey sign either.

[quote=“tomthorne”]

Quite right. The chicken I get at the market taste much better and is cheaper too. The only bad thing is they kill live chickens right where they sell the meat, and I have to to endure the sounds and smells of death. I keep thinking I should go vegetarian after hearing the death squawks and bones cracking from birds getting killed by hand, but it’s really fresh meat and taste good so I keep coming back :blush: . I also get good beef at the market. It’s not as cheap as chicken, but the price is comparable to the beef shoulders sold at costco (one of the cheapest cuts of beef sold there). The flavor and freshness is much better, and it’s not pumped full of some crappy saline solution. Going local is the only way to go for price and quality while in Taiwan, not to mention the veggies

Now, lamb outside of insane Costco prices…[/quote]

I’ve never seen duck at Carrefour, though admittedly I did stop buying meat there after one too many stinky chickens. They never have it at that cheaper supermarket with the blue stripey sign either.[/quote]

Seriously? Perhaps the Carrefours are area specific, then.

Both the Carrefours near me have ducks. The ducks are skinny little things that all look the same. If I remember correctly they are 215NTD each.

Are you sure you’ve never seen them for sale?

[quote=“tomthorne”]

Both the Carrefours near me have ducks. The ducks are skinny little things that all look the same. If I remember correctly they are 215NTD each.

Are you sure you’ve never seen them for sale?[/quote]

Why would I lie? :s In the time it took for me to become completely disenchanted with Carrefours’ meat offerings, I didn’t see one. Maybe they’re only in the frozen section? I don’t often buy frozen meat. My husband’s a big duck lover (read that however you please) so it isn’t as though we haven’t actively sought it, but we don’t tend to shop in traditional markets as we’ve never lived near one. We got something that may once have been a duck in a former life last week in our integral Wellcome, and that was the first we’d ever seen. Cross my heart and hope to die. :smiley:

[quote=“Petrichor”][quote=“tomthorne”]

Are you sure you’ve never seen them for sale?[/quote]

Why would I lie? :s In the time it took for me to become completely disenchanted with Carrefours’ meat offerings, I didn’t see one. Maybe they’re only in the frozen section? I don’t often buy frozen meat. My husband’s a big duck lover (read that however you please) so it isn’t as though we haven’t actively sought it, but we don’t tend to shop in traditional markets as we’ve never lived near one. We got something that may once have been a duck in a former life last week in our integral Wellcome, and that was the first we’d ever seen. Cross my heart and hope to die. :smiley:[/quote]

Of course I don’t think you are telling fibs. I think that you are mistaken.

Next time you are in your local Carrefour walk down the meat counter. I have a strong feeling that you will find small ducks priced at 215NTD each. I’m not sure why Carrefour would only choose some branches to sell ducks. Either way, if the branch you go to doesn’t sell them try another. The Carrefour ducks are crap, though. Markets are the place to go to for decent poultry. I can get quails, too :lick:

What market do you get quails at? Are they fresh? I live not far from the poultry market on the riverside road (環南家禽市場 huannan jiaqin shichang), but the only fowl I’ve ever found there besides chick is squab, and it’s frozen. (Even so, I buy it occasionally and it’s pretty good, but would love to find some fresh squab or quail.)

What market do you get quails at? Are they fresh? I live not far from the poultry market on the riverside road (環南家禽市場 huannan jiaqin shichang), but the only fowl I’ve ever found there besides chick is squab, and it’s frozen. (Even so, I buy it occasionally and it’s pretty good, but would love to find some fresh squab or quail.)[/quote]

They’re frozen, I’m afraid. In NanKan there is a small mall above B&Q which has a farmer’s market on the 5th floor. They sell them there.

There’s a pretty decent Italian deli there which sells tahini. Bit off topic, but useful for anyone looking to make hummus.

Jiang Mu Ya(Ginger duck soup) restaraurants are everywhere and doing a great business at this time of the year. There must be one near where you live. Go ask the boss if you can buy a duck from him. Who knows, he might say OK. If he says no, then just ask him where you can get one. Most of these are big chains, so they get the ducks from the same place.