Dueling dual nationality as a protest

Give me dual nationality or give me none.

I have an idea for a new type of protest against the dual nationality restriction. Let’s call it “dueling dual nationality”. Also see my webpage at jidanni.org/foreigner/

It involves sacrificing myself, Dan Jacobson, in an effort to get the Taiwan legislators to repeal the dual nationality restriction.

The idea is that I would go thru the usual procedure to acquire Taiwan nationality: first give up original nationality, then apply and receive Taiwan nationality. However, I would quit in the middle, refusing to take the second step of acquiring Taiwan nationality.

I would refuse to acquire Taiwan nationality all the way till the day the legislators finally repeal the dual nationality restriction, so nobody ever again has to give up their original nationality in order to acquire Taiwan nationality.

Yes, when it is all over I would have 1 Taiwan nationality and 0 USA nationality.

As the above involves me enduring possibly many years of having no nationality at all, what is the worst thing that could happen to me? I am currently a Taiwan Permanent Resident.

Could the Taiwan authorities kick me out of the country? That is my Achilles Heel, because my whole protest idea is based on me being able to do this in a leisurely way, i.e., no detention or deportation.

Indeed, having no more US citizenship should hopefully protect me against deportation to the US: they wouldn’t take me… Oops, that’s not what happened to the thousands of Taiwan Vietnamese brides … They ended up back in Vietnam but stateless. See unhcr.org/publ/PUBL/46dbd6bd2.html

Oh well, that is all the ideas I have come up with so far.

Nobody likes a quitter.

The information on this website is probably some food for thought – taiwanadvice.com/

If you want to engage in “protest” … I am sure that the people promoting this AGENDA could brainstorm with you for a “better methodology” in order to obtain wider HUMAN RIGHTS here in Taiwan.

(This is your goal I presume … wider HUMAN RIGHTS here in Taiwan, including full property rights, voting rights, and every other type of rights that the local people have.)

They couldn’t kick you out, because you would have been issued a certificate declaring you to be in a state of “preparing to become Chinese”, i.e. that it is implicitly understood that you are "in the process of becoming a (great & honourable) ROC citizen - besides, they would have no legal basis on which to deport you, since your status (yes, even though its stateless) would not be illegal, or in any way mitigating your deportation.

My advice - go for it! (if that’s the kind of protest you want to make).

However, as far as human rights go, which ought to be the issue legislators take heed of - forget the UN (Taiwan has been denied entry etc.), but the Geneva Convention.

The Taiwan government should engage in equal treatment of foreigners … if the darn New Zealanders and a few other nationals don’t have to give up their nationality to acquire Taiwanese nationality … why should we? :thumbsdown:

[quote=“jidanni”]Give me dual nationality or give me none. I have an idea for a new type of protest against the dual nationalityrestriction. Let’s call it “dueling dual nationality”.

It involves sacrificing myself, Dan Jacobson, in an effort to get the Taiwan legislators to repeal the dual
nationality restriction. The idea is that I would go thru the usual procedure to acquire Taiwan nationality: first give up original nationality, then apply and receive Taiwan nationality. However, I would quit in the middle, refusing to take the second step of acquiring Taiwan nationality.

I would refuse to acquire Taiwan nationality all the way till the day the legislators finally repeal the dual
nationality restriction, so nobody ever again has to give up their original nationality in order to acquire
Taiwan nationality. Yes, when it is all over I would have 1 Taiwan nationality and 0 USA nationality.

As the above involves me enduring possibly many years of having no nationality at all, what is the worst thing
that could happen to me? I am currently a Taiwan Permanent Resident. [/quote]

Well it wont matter. You will in anycase be given a Taiwan Area Resident document. So you would be stateless by choice. You can still be issued a Taiwan passport just it doesnt have an ID Card number. Nobody will give a rats arse about your situation as once you have stayed for 12 months on the TAR you would be immediatly eligible for your Hukou and ID card. But as you said you do not have to complete the formal naturalization.

The USA would be happy to get rid of you and do not allow complete fools :loco: to resume just because they want make a protest. :eh: But go ahead anyways… will be amusing to see. I had no nationality for close to 2 years… doesnt make life here unpleasant as you have full legal residency and work rights anyways.

Gov Attache understands this perfectly well but I helped him solve a legal loophole where he could resume his UK Nationality prior to obtaining his ROC Nationality. :discodance: :discodance:

Tips and tricks from the secret archives of satellite TV’s book of laws.

They do engage in equal treatment… all foreigners wishing to become ROC Nationals have to renounce their own citizenship as part of the process. Same rule for everybody. Name one New Zealander has has become and ROC Citizen by naturalization that has been exempted?

Just because you assume other countries allow dual nationality doesnt make it so.

[quote=“Satellite TV”]Gov Attache understands this perfectly well but I helped him solve a legal loophole where he could resume his UK Nationality prior to obtaining his ROC Nationality. :discodance: :discodance:

Tips and tricks from the secret archives of satellite TV’s book of laws.[/quote]

Yes, it’s a huge secret! :laughing:

[quote=“llary”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Gov Attache understands this perfectly well but I helped him solve a legal loophole where he could resume his UK Nationality prior to obtaining his ROC Nationality. :discodance: :discodance:

Tips and tricks from the secret archives of satellite TV’s book of laws.[/quote]

Yes, it’s a huge secret! :laughing:[/quote]
PRIOR to, Llary. That means Sat TV knows how you can become an ROC citizen while still maintaining citizenship of another country. That IS an interesting loophole indeed.

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“llary”][quote=“Satellite TV”]Gov Attache understands this perfectly well but I helped him solve a legal loophole where he could resume his UK Nationality prior to obtaining his ROC Nationality. :discodance: :discodance:

Yes, it’s a huge secret! :laughing:[/quote]

PRIOR to, Llary. That means Sat TV knows how you can become an ROC citizen while still maintaining citizenship of another country. That IS an interesting loophole indeed.[/quote]

Nope Prior to means Gov Attache renounced his UK Nationality, but before obtaining his Taiwan nationaloty was able to resume his UK Nationality. Seems there is a minor but very important statute that says if you do not acquire the foriegn nationality within 6 months of renouncing your UK Nationality the UK government “MUST” let you resume your UK Nationality.

Llary serveral years ago these things werent on the net.