Dumb dos questions #999

OK. I want to use dos in Win7 or XP to copy a directory of files to another location… but I keep getting the error: The system cannot find the file specified. What do I do?

The files are in the “my documents” directory. So how do I copy a directory to another location on my pc in DOS. I have tried EVERY thing I know… but to no avail!

Kenneth

Can the system find the ‘my documents’ directory at all? Could it be having a problem because of the space in the name of the directory?

Thanks for the help. I found the problem - spaces. It took ages to determine the problems but I found out how to get it to work! I should have been using xcopy, too.

So I have Google Apps. With Insync I can download all my Docs to my PC for safekeeping. Then I copy them to another location for sharing across my PCs using DropBox. Since I have several Google Apps domains, it was difficult to install Dropbox and Insync and use them for both. This workaround means I can back up the docs on my personal domain and my business domain via two pcs in the same place. And I’ve scheduled the action on a regular basis so it’s all automated. It was tricky. But it should work!

I had a few tense moments a few days ago when my biz domain just stopped working and I thought everything was gone. Now Idon’t need to worry. So thanks for the help.

Kenneth

[quote=“KenTaiwan98”]OK. I want to use dos in Win7 or XP to copy a directory of files to another location… but I keep getting the error: The system cannot find the file specified. What do I do?

The files are in the “my documents” directory. So how do I copy a directory to another location on my pc in DOS. I have tried EVERY thing I know… but to no avail!

Kenneth[/quote]
Are you using quotes around the ENTIRE path?
For example:

“C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\MSAccess.exe /wrkgrp
\htech001\jobboss\client70\jobboss.mdw”

That was easy. :slight_smile: