Dummies, Babies, and Children

I know you’re not being totally serious, but this is very far from the truth. Bear in mind that the current WHO recommendation for (non-exclusive) breastfeeding is actually two years, although that becomes much more important in less developed countries. I don’t know anyone personally who’s made it much over a year :slight_smile:

I don’t know much about pacifiers since I never used them, but I believe the only major thing against them is that usage should stop before the permanent teeth come in. I would think that most parents would try and make them give it up well before then though. Having a three-year-old using a dummy isn’t all that unusual - I know of at least two, the main difference being that they’re not allowed to use it in public.

I was being serious, as the missus stopped for that very reason - pretty understandable in my view, even though my two daughters viewed the situation in a different light if I recall the loss of sleep due to crying kids correctly.

The pacifiers… My oldest daughter came under a strict regime on that side, when she came to Taiwan, and she stopped one week into kindergarten. The little one never liked those things anyway.

Yes, I think that’s perfectly understandable and as good a point to stop as any, I was just debating the sweeping ‘most sensible mothers’ statement. It is every bit as ‘sensible’, if not even more so, to actually continue with it because of its proven benefits. The biting stage is only a temporary thing - it’s just a matter of gently teaching the baby not to. Whether each mum feels it is worthwhile to persist to the next stage is obviously up to the individual and both choices have their advantages.

What I meant was sensitive.

Teaching them not to bite - :notworthy: :help:

1 year should be enough, the Danish health authorities say 6 months, the local norm in Taiwan is 1 month only.

my old girlfriend breastfed until she was six. i asked “why?” and she replied “why not?”. she is a filipina and made it sound like such wasn’t peculiar in her time.

Excellent answer from the old girlfriend! My Filipina housekeeper says she breastfed her daughter (now 18 yo) for 3 years. She says it’s very common where she’s from.

And Virtual Guanxi (what happened to the guanxi???) to daasgrrl for her posts. :smiley:

[quote=“Mr He”]Most sensible mothers will stop when the kid gets teeth. :smiling_imp: I didn’t. Just say no they will stopHaving your nipple bitten hurts. yes it does :help:

I always thought that kids here were actively discouraged from using pacifiers and bottles?

I always get in trouble for not giving my baby a pacifier. He sucks on his fingers which horrifies people here. They think babies hands are dirty, no they’re not they’re being sucked on all day!

:raspberry:

[/b]

What confuses me is when I see children who are able to run around and play in McDonalds being hand-fed french fries and other food items by their parents. I mean these kids are clearly able to hold a french fry in their own hand and put it into their own mouths but the parents will hold it and feed the kids. Kind of reminds me of those nature programs in which the mama bird feeds her chicks. Strange to watch it in McDonalds though.

I have noticed that parents tend to hold cups to help kids drink, and feed kids like babies. Even a 12-18 month old can feed himself with a spoon.

One lady was surprised that my 2 yo could drink from a cup without my help. :idunno:

well I’ve got one for ya…and this is not a joke, I know this child. 6 years old, parents spoon feed him dinner, put on his diaper and give him a baby bottle of milk! :noway:

There’s a difference.

I don’t know. While living in France, I watched a girl of about four years of age, run around with her older sister then stop go to her mother and procede to feed herself…lifting the shirt and putting the nipple in her mouth…while Mom talked (the people stopped talking and sat looking aghast). I’m glad I was not the only person at the party who was horrified. When the child can breastfeed herself, I think that’s a good sign to wean her. It could only be worse if she brought over some cookies to accompany it. I had a four-year-old student who after a hard day of learning to write his name and the sounds of the alphabet would be carried down to his stroller and given a bottle of milk. And this was a huge four-year-old too. He was not the only “big” four-year-old I taught who got a bottle. :noway:

I remember that pacifiers were always referred to as either pacifiers or soothers in Canada. Is “dummy” an American expression?

You know, I have come across so many dialects of English, I have no longer have an idea which one “dummies” is from. We call them pacifiers or binkies, I think.

Australians generally call them ‘dummies’ (and no wisecracks, thank you :slight_smile: ) It may or may not be a British thing, since we steal a lot of our language.

I guess this is my cue…

First, extended breastfeeding. I myself have nursed two babies past the age of three, and I must know at least a couple dozen families whose children have nursed until about the age of two or beyond. I even know some families who have nursed their children until the age of four or so. These parents are all educated, intelligent and sensitive adults, and their children, from what I’ve seen, tend to be very intelligent and loving also.

I wonder if the people who saw the four year old nursing and were “aghast” or “horrified” react that way to billboards depicting women as sex objects, advertisements that glamourize tobacco, tshirts printed with various sexual positions, sex shops displaying their merchandise alongside an elementary school, and trashy movies and television programs like American Pie and Sex in the City (funny, entertaining, but still trashy).

About strollers. I sling my baby, and even my three year old, and I also have a stroller. Strollers can be very useful even with an older child. Sure, 2 -3 year olds can walk, but they also get tired, and there are still groceries to buy, errngds to run. It’s a comfortable place for them to rest/nap, and if you’re in crowds, crossing the street, using the MRT, even the bus, it’s a safe place (strapped in).

About the binkies, I shouldn’t judge because I’m a little “alternative” myself, but I am surprised that people would rather have a binky in their four year old’s mouth than a thumb. Even thumbs can cause dental problems, so a pacifier must be worse.

And do a little reading if it’s relevant to you, and you’ll find that babies do have a “suck need”, some more than others, so pacifiers do have their place. Ignore that need, and they’ll find other ways to try and soothe themselves. Some babies want (and need) to suck, but don’t necessarily want to eat (bottle or breast), so if they can’t suck their fingers to soothe themselves, you help them with a binky.

There’s one other big issue with the binky (giving it to a kid to quiet him without trying to see if there’s something else he needs or wants but can’t express) but I’m hoping someone else who is better with words will touch on that one.

My3 year old only recently stopped to be offered the comforts of a stroller, when we were walking around somewhere, but well, she’s a strong little girl.

I slinged her until we lost the sling around a year ago.

I think its a shortened form of the British “dummy (i.e. fake) tit.”

Excellent answer from the old girlfriend! My Filipina housekeeper says she breastfed her daughter (now 18 yo) for 3 years. She says it’s very common where she’s from.

And Virtual Guanxi (what happened to the guanxi???) to daasgrrl for her posts. :smiley:[/quote]

Maybe breastfeeding could save some milk money.

My friend from high school breastfed her son until he was three. I can see how the bond between mother and child during feeding sessions would make it even more difficult to stop, but I was bothered by it because by four, I would think that most children would have been weaned off the bottle and therefore weaned off all nipples, synthetic or natural.

However, I’ve been checking out articles on weaning and breastfeeding and many of them suggest the weaning age to be a minimum of 2-1/2 years all the way up to 7 years of age :astonished: . I’m not a mother so I don’t know and I am sure I was not breastfed considering how sickly a child I was. I am just under the impression that breastfeeding is what babies do, not walking, talking, reading kindergarteners. :idunno:

It bothers me when I see parents shove a pacifier into an infant’s mouth when it starts crying and then try to put it back in again and again when it spits it out to cry more instead of trying to figure out why the child is crying.