Dumped Before CNY

Hi Guys! Happy Year of the Snake! :slight_smile:

Question for the New Year - is it common for people do dump significant others before the start of a new year??

THANK YOU (!) in advance for the input. :bow:

I’ll let others who have local sources to ask this question to to give you a more definite answer. But personally, I think it is the best time to let go of bad relationships, pay off debt, pay off people you don’t like, rid assholes of your life. You want to start out the new year with a clean slate, and not continue on with someone who will drag you down and keep you from being better than you can be. It’s better than being dumped on your birthday, on Christmas, or on Valentine’s Day, I think.

So either I’m sorry :blush: or you can do it! :bravo:

There is no real good time to be a dumpee.

Also, remember that during CNY, young people are routinely interrogated by various relatives about whether they have a girlfriend/boyfriend, and if so, when they’re getting married, etc. This way some of the awkwardness is avoided. After all, who wants to tell everybody “Yes, I have a boyfriend, but I plan to dump him after the holidays” ?

Well in certain cases, a local woman (I’m assuming that the dumpee is female) might start pressing her BF or fiancee to marry her BEFORE CNY and he then realizes that he doesn’t want to, he doesn’t love her enough, and dump her. So you see lots of weddings before CNY, some who didn’t get the wedding before CNY were probably the ones who got dumped before the big chinese holiday season. It is tradition deciding your fate.

[quote=“914”]I’ll let others who have local sources to ask this question to to give you a more definite answer. But personally, I think it is the best time to let go of bad relationships, pay off debt, pay off people you don’t like, rid assholes of your life. You want to start out the new year with a clean slate, and not continue on with someone who will drag you down and keep you from being better than you can be. It’s better than being dumped on your birthday, on Christmas, or on Valentine’s Day, I think.

So either I’m sorry :blush: or you can do it! :bravo:[/quote]
Sadly for the human race, 914’s stance would appear to be representative. I mean no judgment on that poster’s keen sense of intuition, but…
In the West, huge numbers of break-ups around Christmas and New Year’s Day. Massive spikes in number of calls to suicide prevention hotlines, as well.
I have no data, for the local, other than my own personal experience, and that of a few mates.
Something about these fatuous dates, on some silly calendar made by a perverted Roman or Mandarin, that gets folks aflutter.
I well understand how some folks want this whole “new slate” trip, but I for one think it is sheer cowardice. An excuse to act on something the actor had no stomach for before on any other date. Sheer over-compensating self-indulgence.

But, what do I know, I am but a pawn, in that game so played.
I accept my fate, and shall receive no quarter…
I only ask, please brutalise me with music, nothing else.

See, that way she doesn’t have to pay you a bonus.

Many employers do it too… completely Taiwanese culture, you’ll get used to it.

[quote=“urodacus”]See, that way she doesn’t have to pay you a bonus.

Many employers do it too… completely Taiwanese culture, you’ll get used to it.[/quote]
I don’t know. Seems pretty American too. I had a friend get laid off before his 5 year anniversary when his stock options wwould have become available to him.

I figured as much :slight_smile: I’ve seen a slew of it over the past two weeks and broken hearts laying amass everywhere. I may have thought it might not be good to walk into a new year with a trail of ashes behind you. Apparently, there is no difference between here and the West. smh

Sucks to be dumped, but assuming you are a green eyed male, there should be no shortage of women on the rock really to take up the slack so to speak.

Theres even one on here looking for a whitey husband ! Shes got to be in for the long run ?

[quote=“GreenEyedCanadian”]Hi Guys! Happy Year of the Snake! :slight_smile:

Question for the New Year - is it common for people do dump significant others before the start of a new year??

THANK YOU (!) in advance for the input. :bow:[/quote]

no, not common. if it happened after the first day of new year then it’s likely due to family pressure.

[quote=“nonredneck”][quote=“urodacus”]See, that way she doesn’t have to pay you a bonus.

Many employers do it too… completely Taiwanese culture, you’ll get used to it.[/quote]
I don’t know. Seems pretty American too. I had a friend get laid off before his 5 year anniversary when his stock options wwould have become available to him.[/quote]

Same dog, different leg action.

It is quite eerie to me, this morbid fascination with dates.
Makes me sad for all the wasted energy previously spent.

I am of course far too honest to be polite, so don’t take my views as a benchmark, but Jesus Wept!, if one feels a certain way, and that feeling won’t go away, then one should act on it.
Everything else is a waste of time, energy, and breath. Valuable eons on the heart clock wasted, for naught.
Humans are weak, contemptible bags of mostly water.

There’s a wicked quote from perhaps page 13 of Michael Herr’s masterpiece “Dispatches” that goes something like this.

That might not be the exact quote, as I’m going by memory here, as I can’t see to find my copy.
Predictable, actually, as my shelf is most awry.

Songs 1.7.c for the recently actioned upon:

Go, girl, Go!