Dungeons and Dragons "D&D" (pen and paper, and PSP)

Completely new player to the game that will need lots of guidance, but I’d love to join a pen & paper group.

Hi FSBDAVY

I have played 3.5 (still have my Dwarf stats and such for him, and have also done 4.0… today, both the characters AND monsters are both way too powerful. I remember when a dragon was something to be terrified of… now dragons would quiver if it came across some things in the game now.

I usually do a dwarf if possible, love getting bloody… but I don’t have to be super powerful… I roleplay him as best as possible, and if he dies, his spirit will be reincarnated into my next dwarf character :slight_smile:

If interested, I have rules, modules and such for both the original rules and AD&D…just need a DM and other people…

Have you all seen TRPG 夏之陣? Looks like they’re playing some cool indie RPGs – worth checking out!

So there seem to be a couple people interested in starting a group. I would be willing to run an AD&D game on Sundays if anyone is interested. I am currently waiting to hear from another DM in town as to whether I can join his game but it is looking less and less likely. Go ahead and PM me if you are interested. I would want to run it on Sundays, probably every other week. I have only been DM for one other campaign and it lasted a little over a year, but I am willing to give it a shot again. Let me know, if two people are intested and dedicated I would be willing to DM the campaign.

I live in Taipei along the Banan (Blue) line.

Sundays Biweekly sounds cool.

Hi papercut… how is everything with you?

lee

Good but busy with a baby. My books are here though. It seems I have 4 copies of the 1e dmg, and 4 copies of the 2e phb. Lol.

Seems there is a Sunday 2e game and a Saturday 2e game in town, wish I could make them regularly.

Make sure to check out Myth & Magic- sort of like Pathfinder for 2e, it just came out of beta and they cleaned up the messy bits of 2e. Free starter set on RPGNOW or the publishers website newhavengames.com.

Thinking of starting a weeknight game with the above set, but I have no idea about a venue. Any suggestions?

I am looking for new players for my 2ed game, meeting on Sundays every other week. PM me if you are interested.

[quote=“FSBDavy”]2e? Really? As in Thaco? Awesome!

I’m just curious- why do you prefer 2e?[/quote]

2e = no grids, no big number skill system, cool cool monster (3300+), and no super in depth character optimization (there can be some of course). Once you get the hang of it, the system is ez peezy to play and run. The cool thing about 2e Thac0/descending AC is that it is 3e BAB/Ascending just inverted, so if one chooses, there is no need to do subtraction. Myth & Magic just tunes the 2e core a bit more to make it even smoother.

Two 2e groups in town, woot!

well my life is changing a bit now and i may have more time on the weekends… are there any players in Hsinchu? technically i know 2 more players but we have no GM/DM… so nay one out there?

I’d be one of the 2e DM’s previously mentioned I guess. My game is full up on people, with 5 or 6 players currently, meeting every other Sunday usually.

I spend a lot of time on it, as the whole setting of mine is homemade, with everything in it written up and drawn by myself. Spend a lot of time in coffee shops with grid paper, getting asked about my ‘architectural drawings’ from curious Taiwanese.

[quote=“Ravendas”]I’d be one of the 2e DM’s previously mentioned I guess. My game is full up on people, with 5 or 6 players currently, meeting every other Sunday usually.

I spend a lot of time on it, as the whole setting of mine is homemade, with everything in it written up and drawn by myself. Spend a lot of time in coffee shops with grid paper, getting asked about my ‘architectural drawings’ from curious Taiwanese.[/quote]

too bad you dont live in Hsinchu…

[quote=“omerojs”][quote=“Ravendas”]I’d be one of the 2e DM’s previously mentioned I guess. My game is full up on people, with 5 or 6 players currently, meeting every other Sunday usually.

I spend a lot of time on it, as the whole setting of mine is homemade, with everything in it written up and drawn by myself. Spend a lot of time in coffee shops with grid paper, getting asked about my ‘architectural drawings’ from curious Taiwanese.[/quote]

too bad you dont live in Hsinchu…[/quote]

Middle of Taipei. I’m afraid to move out of Taipei and never getting a D&D group again.

[quote=“Ravendas”][quote=“omerojs”][quote=“Ravendas”]I’d be one of the 2e DM’s previously mentioned I guess. My game is full up on people, with 5 or 6 players currently, meeting every other Sunday usually.

too bad you dont live in Hsinchu…[/quote]

Middle of Taipei. I’m afraid to move out of Taipei and never getting a D&D group again.[/quote]

hahaha i know what you mean… it happened to me when i came to Taiwan…

I see that many of these posts are old, bordering on ancient…but I am will roll the dice, so to speak. If anyone here is still interested in getting a game going, I am willing and able. I have a few 4E books and tons of minis and a erasable map. I hope to hear from someone soon.

4e :hand:

My 2e game has gone down to once every 2-3 weeks, what with people being busy… wish it could be every week, but people have conflicting schedules.
I’m currently making a new set of dungeon tiles with my Hirst Arts molds! Even made some of my own molds to expedite the process, and found a place here in Taipei that will (quizzically) sell dental plaster to non-dentists.

I just arrived in Hsinchu, North dist., and have been playing D&D 2e on and off since 1978. I am looking for a game and hope someone will pm me. I have DMed , but I’m rusty.

Both of your posts were a while ago, but in case you’re checking in, let me know. I live in the Hsinchu area and thought about taking up the game again.

I have PDFs of the first edition (the classic hardcovers) as well as the Basic and Expert books (with the old Erol Otus covers), plus a pile of unique dice.

Might want to just message them, or email them, as this thread is months between replies.

Also, you can take those pdf’s to print shops and print them out for 1nt per double sided black/white page, plus 20nt for soft cover binding. At least, that’s what the major chain here in Taipei charges. So a 300page PHB would cost ~170nt.

I approve of old school D&D! My 2e game is still going strong, a few years here now, with my own campaign world, dungeons, cities, etc.

I just don’t understand why people like D&D so much and disregard other RPG systems… Usually, playing D&D involves insane amounts of both random and planned encounters and is very “hack&slash” oriented. Back in the day, I used to run games of Dark Sun, Spelljammer, Ravenloft… But in these games settings, the players used to go for the most straightforward plans. Once, after a specially weird (and VERY bloody) gaming afternoon, i decided that I would not be a surrogate gaming console for my gamers. If they feel like killing things an entire day, they can buy an Xbox (or a Playstation).

It took me some Cyberpunk 2020 games to reset my players’ software and restart them in “cautious” mode. Nothing as a couple of friday night gunfights to make anyone realize getting involved in violence is usually a bad idea.

Then the World Of Darkness games allowed me to do some innovative role-playing. That is, until some of the players began to screw it up and fell again into their violent tendences’ grasp. Then the campaign fell apart and we didn’t have enough time to set it right again.

Oh, well… (rant mode off)