Dust at home: how do you deal with it

I guess this depends on where you live, but my home is always full of dust. I run dehumidifier and air filter almost all day, and there’s still a lot of dust accumulation.

How do you guys avoid this or deal with it?

1 Like

I lick all my floors clean. Mmmn… yummy dust bunnies!

2 Likes

Keep doors and windows closed. Never go out. Get rid of the cats. Cloak your interior with cling-wrap.

4 Likes

I have a Roomba that has a HEPA filter in it. Bought it in the US b/c they cost easily 2x more for the same ones in TW. Maybe Costco has a more reasonable price. I don’t think it does much for the dust on upper surfaces, tbh. It just keeps my floors from getting grimy, which then doesn’t fly up and around as much.

It helps that I use most things in my space. Coffee maker and water kettle do accumulate dust, but I just wipe them down before and after use. Top of my fridge is scary. There’s less opportunity for dust to accumulate on things when they’re being used all the time

1 Like

Keep the windows closed and take off shoes before entering the house.

Amazing that the majority of the world doesn’t do this, yet have fewer dust problems than Taiwan. You don’t think the problem may not be the shoes?

1 Like

You never lived on a farm. :grin:

3 Likes

Sweep (I use a vacuum) and wet mop the floors every week. Those Taiwanese mop spinner buckets make this so easy. The sweeping is the part that takes the longest
I wear my shoes inside but clean every week.
I could do better if I’d wipe down everything with a damp cloth but I’m lazy.

2 Likes

Shoes on definitely tracks in mud and other shit from outside. This isn’t a philosophical debate. It just does.

Studies say that about 1/3 of the dust comes in with us.

1 Like

Wear dust mask or clean your place. I normally vacuum twice a week and don’t have this problem at all.

1 Like

Not the point. I follow the quaint Japanese custom of taking off my shoes, yet still have tons of dust. So obviously it’s not originating from my shoes.

You still have air circulated from outside, especially if you open windows, and the air here is dirty. You are constantly shedding skin. Your belongings are shedding small particles. Pets. It all adds up to a never ending battle. Vacuum daily and damp dust.

I vacuum every day, so I usually only need to dust once a month, especially near electronics.

I only open one window on the enclosed balcony behind sliding glass doors. The balcony doesn’t get dusty fast either luckily.

If I ever build a house it will definitely include a genkan.

1 Like

Getting rid of cats tend to attract other, less welcome creatures. So I will deal with the cat than deal with other creatures that tend to carry worse things.

:roll_eyes: Sometimes it’s like speaking to little children around here.

Like coyotes and eagles? Or is there a more effective way to get rid of cats?

We do our best and just have hope some other cancer kills us before lung cancer does :slight_smile: