Dutch far-right leader Geert Wilders' ex-ally converts to Islam

Posting here since the recent Islam thread is locked. {Mod’s note–split to new thread.}

You know how they say the most outspoken homophobes are the ones who “protest too much”? :wink:

:cactus:

Brilliant.

Makes sense, Islam is right up these far-right types alley

5 Likes

Indeed. Many Islamic principles are exactly what the far right are after. Men working. Women staying at home - doing what they’re told and breeding. Homophobia. Intolerance of other beliefs.

The only problem is Islam is generally associated with brown people. Which is why we end up with this bizarre siuation of the far right attacking and progressives defending such a conservative religion.

3 Likes

Yeah, far right values and Islam are pretty close.

1 Like

I’m enjoying the unapologetic Islamophobia on this thread. However:

There are moderate/progressive/liberal Muslims aplenty just like there are progressive/liberal Catholics. The followers of Islam are extremely diverse.

But of course you guys would only choose to focus on the conservative camp. Typical Western-centric bias.

Take a look at the Muslim world. “Moderate/progressive/liberal” values are not at the fore. No one said they didn’t exist. I’d examine your own lens.

3 Likes

This is a thread about why someone from the far right would support Islam. Obviously, it isn’t going to be because of minority moderate Islam.

But, please, defend Islam.

1 Like

Which posters do you consider to be far right, and which far left?

There are moderate liberal Muslims but the religion in terms of scripture and how the majority practice it certainly isn’t.

wilders-hanging

If you ask most moderate Muslim questions on certain subjects, you will probably hear some barbaric answers. Ask them how they feel about Muslims who denounce their fate, can you draw Mohammad, how they feel about gays.

If we are going to be honest, going back to the source of Islam with Mohammad and his followers, they aren’t far from the actions and teachings of ISIS. ISIS is a reformation to true islam as they call it.

This wouldn’t be the first far right politician who had a soft spot for islam. According to albert speer, Hitler would say “You see, it’s been our misfortune to have the wrong religion. Why didn’t we have the religion of the Japanese, who regard sacrifice for the Fatherland as the highest good? The Mohammedan religion too would have been much more compatible to us than Christianity. Why did it have to be Christianity with its meekness and flabbiness?”

https://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-arts-and-culture/books/187128/nazi-romance-with-islam

The point is there’s no meaningful distinction.

There is, however, a rhetorical distinction. This is the only reason I even speak of leftists.

There was a time when a “liberal” was someone who wanted less government control of the economy.

and a time when the ACLU fought for free speech and civil liberties

I get that. So, which posters do you consider far (no meaningful distinction). I’m interested to know who you consider to be extremists.

You want me to name call?

I’ve got a better idea: let them self identify.

You won’t be putting your anonymous head above the parapet. It’s not a personal attack to call someone an extremist, is it?

Surely, extremists aren’t aware that they are. A catch 22 situation.

Maybe next we can get Mussolini to tell us who the fascists are, or Bozo to tell us who the clowns are.

The point is, it’s obvious to everyone else when someone is a SJW or some similar brand of totalitarian.