Duty and Inheritance

some people love their parents, even if they are stingy and their siblings are ass holes

If the brother’s business failed, does he have the money to support the parents ?
had the business venture succeeded, would he have supported the parents and sisters ?
maybe the mother wants to give him cause he needs more than the employed stabely married sisters ?

similar thing happened in my non Chinese family.

Did you not see that the poster said if she stopped payments, the family would ostracize her?

My point is not about whether or not we should love our parents in spite of their stinginess.

My point is about the fact that they use this “required” payment as a form of control.

No in both circumstances.

The sisters are both married and full time moms. Therefore any monetary support would involve their husbands chipping in.

I get that part. I only object to being expected to pay for their retirement.

I agree with you. Your wife married into your family. So you have no responsibility to pay for anyone outside of your family. At least that’s how it’s supposed to work in theory I think.

1 Like

if the brother has no money, I understand why the parents turn to the sisters.
if you were down and out financially, would they support you?
if the answer is yes, then I understand why they turn to you for help when they are in need.

The sisters have their own family, so it involves their husbands too.

I’m not responsible for fixing the son’s financial problem. Any money the mum gets she will give to her son.

1 Like

One degree of separation, or cultural pathology?

She could go to court.

I do believe that laws have been put in place to prevent the oldest son from inheriting everything while the rest of the family get nothing. These were enacted some years ago after some pretty bad stories were published about women spending their entire lives taking care of their parents and once the last one died, theIr oldest brother would show up and kick them out onto to the street. This being Taiwan though, I would suspect that plenty of older brothers have found ways to circumvent these laws to make sure they get what is “rightfully” theirs.

I thought that this law is only in case there is no will. if parents prepare a will in advance they can sort out many problems.

They leave everything to their son in a will?

FIFY :laughing:

1 Like

There’s wiggle room, but when there’s a daughter who has taken care of the parents for her entire life, they can’t just say even thing goes to junior (even with a will). Too many cases of women thrown out on to the street with no means of support while junior drives off in his new Benz and sells off the family home(s).

I believe the more PC term is Little Emperor.

2 Likes

Short answer: no.

Good term, hope things become more equal and reflect who cares for parents.