DVD Audio Commentary

My name is Muffin and I have been cable-less and internet-less at home for four months now.

Thank you.

But the void has recently been filled by Blockbuster and the ilk.
I’m running out of watchable movies that I haven’t, uh, watched.

So I decided on renting a movie that I had already seen (Ocean’s 11 DVD) the other night because of the Audio commentary tracks.
The track with the director and the writer, Steven Soderbergh and Ted Griffin, was pretty good, funny and informative.
The track with the actors, Pitt, Gacia and Damon, kinda lame.

Any recomendations as to good movies with good commentary tracks?
Available to rent in Taiwan, please.

Commentary tracks by directors tend to be more interesting because they were more involved in the problem solving, and know how the film ‘works’ Actors just turn up and say their lines. But saying that, I’m part way through listening to the 2nd commentaty on Die Another Die by Pierce Brosnan, and it is surprisingly imformative, for a commentary by an actor. Directors commentaries can vary a lot, some are completly pre-prepared and read from a script, very tedious to listen to in my opinion… he just drones on… Some have a bunch of them just joking around, very funny, but not always imformative. Some might talk about things you’re not interested in knowing. It all depends what tickles your fancy. But I usually come away knowing a bit more about the film than before.
I can’t think of any particulary good or bad ones right now, I tend to forget them :blush: At least I can listen to them again and get my money’s worth :slight_smile: I remember the one on ‘The Mummy’ is making a lot of fun of the extras getting things wrong.

I liked the commentary on “A Beautiful Mind” by director Ron Howard because that helped explain some of the things going on that I missed the first time around. Scriptwriter Akiva Goldsman’s commentary was also pretty interesting.

miltownkid, using his secrect (
google
) internet powers has come up with the following DVD commentary resources.

dvdreview.com/movies/html/co … _list.html
geocities.com/Hollywood/Set/ … ntary.html
dooyoo.co.uk/electronics/vid … ew/356199/

the rest my secret internet powers can be found here
google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … commentary

I watched all the Big trouble in little Chinas commentary and rember enjoying it. I’ve also listened to parts of Training Day and those seemd good too.

Now that we have this new forum, maybe we should start somekind of DVD traders club? (maybe that idea needs a new topic)

The commentary with Tom Clancy on The Sum of All Fears was pretty good. Wherever the director took liberties, or things weren’t as they would be in the real world Clancy was quick to point out that “This is complete bullshit”, or “This would never happen”, or “this wasn’t in my book”. I really liked that. It added to a pretty half-ass movie.

Another good one is “Thirteen Days” they movie on the Cuban Missile Crisis, pretty good bonus material.

Speaking of DVD commentary tracks –
Some of the DVD commentaries I have seen are pretty interesting, Solaris being the most recent.
But some are not so good. If you concur, and want a good laugh, check out the two features The Onion did about DVD commentaries:

“Commentary Tracks of the Damned”
theonionavclub.com/avclub383 … _3832.html

and “Curse of the Commentary Tracks of the Damned”
theonionavclub.com/avclub392 … _3928.html

My house guests and I have been watching thedelux version of the Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring) on and off for a week or so now). It’s great. After watching the 4 hour extended version of the film (much better than the original little 3 hour version) we turned to the 7 hours worth of mini-docs about the making of the movie, which were amazing in showing the scale of the production. Then we watched the movie with commentary from the actors, which was very good. We still have the directors/writers commentary and the effects people’s commentaries to watch, so there’s another 8 hours to go. That’ll be about 35 hours entertainment from one DVD set!

What we didn’t get was the special commentary by Noam Chomsky (brilliant fo course - what would you expect from Chomsky?), but you can read a partial transcript here:

mcsweeneys.net/2003/04/22fellowship.html

Brian

I was recently fortunate in being able to watch the Criterion Collection edition of the Seven Samurai. That has an excellent commentary, as is to be expected from Criterion.

Unfortunately, it’s not cheap (US$40 retail (NT$1,370)) – esp. when matched against the local cheapo version at around NT$100.

[quote=“Sir Donald Bradman”]My house guests and I have been watching thedelux version of the Lord of the Rings (Fellowship of the Ring) on and off for a week or so now). It’s great. After watching the 4 hour extended version of the film (much better than the original little 3 hour version) we turned to the 7 hours worth of mini-docs about the making of the movie, which were amazing in showing the scale of the production. Then we watched the movie with commentary from the actors, which was very good. We still have the directors/writers commentary and the effects people’s commentaries to watch, so there’s another 8 hours to go. That’ll be about 35 hours entertainment from one DVD set!

What we didn’t get was the special commentary by Noam Chomsky (brilliant fo course - what would you expect from Chomsky?), but you can read a partial transcript here:

mcsweeneys.net/2003/04/22fellowship.html

Brian[/quote]

Did you get the deluxe version here or elsewhere. I was thinking about it, getting one in FNAC, but it looked to me, excepting the movie itself, the other discs were gonna be in Chinese. am i wrong?

I got the Delux LOTR from my friend’s apartment while he was on holiday :smiley:

He got it from a DVD shop on the alley behind the 3C branch which is in the Computer market on the corner of Xinsheng and Ba De.

Brian

Why doesn’t anywhere sell it anymore ? I guess LOTR isn’t very popular here… :unamused: Kenny: It’s all in English but Chinese subtitles are available, if you can find anywhere that wants to sell it.

Looney Tunes All Stars Vol. 1 and 2

These are great. Good cartoons, but what I like best are the bonus documentaries. Much good information about the old days of cartooning. There is also some lost cartoons and some made for the military in WWII. Even one written by Dr. Suess. Also some cartoons have commentary. The only complaint I have is that there is only one Road Runner in the bunch. There are two more volumes, The best of Bugs Bunny and Elmer and Daffy. I will get those soon.

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Made in 1946. Starring John Garfield and Lana Turner. Lana Turner wasn’t as hot as I thought she would be. It might be that old style bikini. There is an excellent documentary on the life of John Garfield. A good look at McCarthyism. Haven’t seen the remake, but would like to. I enjoyed the novel. It’s a very quick and easy read.