DVD burners

I am thinking to upgrade my CD-writer to DVD burner, is it worth to do it plus which format DVD-RW or DVD+RW to go for.
I need advice.

Unless you have a real need to store large amounts of data on disc, I would say that it’s not worth it. A basic DVD burner is at least 3x as expensive as a really fast CD-R.

I definitely need one of these. Are there any good region-free DVD burners out there? I need to record 3 or 4 gigabytes onto disc at a time.

Well, my experience is that drives are not region-free (unless you find those doggy Taiwanese-made ones or crack it yourself). However, burning your own DVD does not impose the regional restrictions. Any disc you burn should be able to play in any region. Regional encoding is a feature of the burning software, if your burning SW has that.

I currently have a Sony DVD-ROM that is region-free. I would like to replace it with a DVD-R/RW that I can not only use to burn DVDs but also to play all of my DVDs regardless of region.

for DVD-ROM region Free is possible , DVD burner it gets a bit difficult
forum.rpc1.org/portal.php

In that case perhaps I should swap out my CD burner instead of my DVD-ROM, just keep the region-free DVD-ROM and dump my 32x burner in favor of the DVD burner. Otherwise I won’t be able to watch half my DVDs.

First - you can get fairly cheap DVD burners now - in the $150 - $170 USD range (previously they were ranging $400-2000). Also if your looking to mod the drive’s bios - do a google search under “region free dvd” and you’ll find a couple good websites out there with specific model information. Sony probably has the best drive out there right now - 8mb buffer, DVD +/-, up to 4x - but you’ll pay $300 US for it. Drive prices are dropping quickly and as soon as TW manufacturers are able to make the DVD heads they’ll be as cheap as CD-R’s.

Poagao:

DVD Burners are great. After you purchase a DVD burner, all you will need to do is find the firmware patch for your writer to make it regionless. I bought a Pioneer DVR-A05/105 a few months ago and the firmware patch came out just about a month or so ago. I haven’t had any problems and am coaster free so far.

My burner is a 4x2x. 1x DVD = 9x CD. It burns in the DVD-R format. I can burn a full DVD in about 15 minutes. I suggest going to www.dvdrhelp.com and read up on individual burners and what people suggest. Hope this helps.

DVD Writers Section

What about free software that will allow your CD burner to burn DVDs? Is this possible?

No, this is not possible. DVD Burners are usually backward compatible though.

The spam advertising “Burn your DVDs on CDs” isn’t telling the whole truth. What it means is that you rip the data from the DVD and compress it so that it fits on a CD.

I have to disagree with MunkyNutz on the cost of DVD Burners. I haven’t seen any under 200 USD yet.

I went and checked, what my supplier told me Taiwan is doing a cost down, in about 6 months the cost will to about 6000 NT ( current 13000 NT).
I was looking as a data backup solution he told to buy a 80Gb HDD instead :shock: and save some money as Ritek is also getting DVD media line going the cost of media will also fall ( expected to touch 20NT)

[quote=“ponchi”]I went and checked, what my supplier told me Taiwan is doing a cost down, in about 6 months the cost will to about 6000 NT ( current 13000 NT).
I was looking as a data backup solution he told to buy a 80Gb HDD instead :shock: and save some money as Ritek is also getting DVD media line going the cost of media will also fall ( expected to touch 20NT)[/quote]

That’s awesome! Can DVD burner’s also play the dvd movie’s? Also how much capacity do the blanck dvd discs come in?

So, have I got this right ? When you buy a DVD burner and use it as a DVD player, you have to tinker with it for it to become region free. But any DVDs you burn will be region free. How do you know before you buy the blasted thing whether or not there’s a patch for it ?

[quote=“hexuan”]So, have I got this right ? When you buy a DVD burner and use it as a DVD player, you have to tinker with it for it to become region free. But any DVDs you burn will be region free. How do you know before you buy the blasted thing whether or not there’s a patch for it ?[/quote]Try searching on the interweb using ‘goggle’ or ‘Wahay!’ or keep your exsiting drive for watching movies

the capacity is 4.7GB and 8 GB ( format and some other crap are the factors)

There are enough pages for that like
firmware-flash.com/

Check this site for your firmware. Figure out which one you want to buy and then double check if they have a firmware patch.