DVD Burning Issue

OK…here is my Q…

I want to move some files - music, dl’ed TV shows - onto DVD’s for cataloguing.
I have some DVD-R’s.
If I move 10 files to this DVD, can I come back later, say tomorrow and add 10 more files to the same DVD?

By files I mean either songs or more Simpsons episodes.

Can I do this or do I need another type of DVD or is this just something that cannot be done?

Thanks.

I’m not 100% sure - I’ll try it myself when I’m back at my desktop - but I believe you should be able to using Nero, and possibly other programs. The option you’re looking for is “multisession” recording. I’m pretty sure it’s possible with DVD-R’s, it’s just a matter of whether the program you’re using supports it.

Tetsuo -
Thank you. I do have Nero and a couple of other DVD burning progs.
But I don’t think I have ever burned a DVD.

It’s been my experience that one can’t do that. I’m no techie, but I’ve used Nero to burn a few photos and video clips onto discs and found it impossible to burn more later. I tried repeatedly.

I discussed this with some irish techie dude with a fake accent and I could’ve sworn he told me it’s impossible, which is hard to believe. With technology as advanced as it is today, why would such an obvious function be missing? So, I’m curious to hear others’ views as well.

Yes it is posible but Nero warns you that it would be possible that you can’t read these dvd’s on another player (DVD) … and now there is DVD re-writing too … But DVD’s are so cheap that you could consider one for every session :slight_smile:

That’s what the irish dude told me, but I disagree. If I’m recording a bunch of videos of my daughter onto a disc to send to my parents; then I realize I want to burn one more video onto the disc it’s stupid that I can’t do so and have to throw out the perfectly good disc and burn them all over again onto another disc. It’s not the money; it’s the time and the stupidity of having to take the long route instead of the simple one.

I think it’s called multisession recording. Nero will ask you if you want to finalize the disc. If you don’t finalize it, you can add more stuff later. I’ve never tried it though.

That’s what the Irish dude told me, but I disagree. If I’m recording a bunch of videos of my daughter onto a disc to send to my parents; then I realize I want to burn one more video onto the disc it’s stupid that I can’t do so and have to throw out the perfectly good disc and burn them all over again onto another disc. It’s not the money; it’s the time and the stupidity of having to take the long route instead of the simple one.[/quote]

What I probably said was that you have to “close” the disk for it to work on a DVD player. However, if you’re going to read the DVD on a computer, you can leave it open. RichardM (and others) are correct. It’s called a multi-session disk. In Nero, as you are about to select “burn” there is a checkbox that allows you to choose the multisession option. Do it. (The DVD does NOT have to be RE-writable to allow this option).

Seriously NERO sucks :raspberry:

It is easy to write “open” data DVDs. I do it all the time. My DVD/DivX player has no problems playing them.

The problem maybe that your DVD writing software is converting video files to MPG4 (vcd) or VOB (dvd).

If you are creating an proper authored video DVD - best to do it in one go and close the disc.