DVD Player keeps breaking...alternatives?

I have a DVD player running a DVD 11 hours a day and it doesn’t matter if it is those NT$2,000 (Noname) or the NT$5000 ones (pioneer) they always stop working in less than a year, once past the warranty impossible to fix, they just tell me to buy a new one.

What alternatives do I have? I am playing the video on a 30 inch LCD over AV wires. I know one is to copy the DVD to the HDD of a PC, but that would cost me about NT$12,000 for the PC and it might not be stable, then again it might be fine. Any other solutions?

a solution would be a small form factor pc such as a shuttle xpc. you could get an older model like a sn42 or sn45 and install media portal or myhtpc. an even better and cheaper solution would be a modified xbox with xbmc. both could play a dvd from hard drive and in both cases the dvd-rom is more robust than a regular dvd player.

[quote=“Hobart”]I have a DVD player running a DVD 11 hours a day and it doesn’t matter if it is those NT$2,000 (Noname) or the NT$5000 ones (pioneer) they always stop working in less than a year, once past the warranty impossible to fix, they jut tell me to buy a new one.

What alternatives do I have? [snip]. Any other solutions?[/quote]
The first search tag that came to my mind was “industrial DVD players” and this is what I got: [Pioneer Electronics Inc. - Industrial DVD Video Players]

Imagination told me an industrial player would cost more than $5,000. The site did too, I think their most inexpensive one is US375, but I think they have 2 year warranties.

A standard DVD player for home use isn’t suppose to get used like that (as I’m sure you know :wink:).

Searching “industrial video players” came up with (among other things) this:
[The DV-66 Digital Media Player provides multi-format support in a compact, industrial hardware design, which is specifically designed for the POP and Kiosk market.]

So those are me ideas. An industrial DVD player of sorts. Or some kind of Digital media player.

Doing searches like that with “Kiosk” thrown in every now and then seems to bring up solutions you might be interested in.

A small hard drive on a pc or a xbox would cheaper to replace if it fails after several years…

Or you could use a diskless PC, nowadays you can boot from memory sticks. No disc, no moving parts, no breakdown. If it is a simple video, you might be even able to get away without fans. I believe VIA has some nice solutions with their C3 processor. But the price would probably be close to the one of an “industrial” DVD player.

[quote=“Hobart”]I have a DVD player running a DVD 11 hours a day and it doesn’t matter if it is those NT$2,000 (Noname) or the NT$5000 ones (pioneer) they always stop working in less than a year, once past the warranty impossible to fix, they jut tell me to buy a new one.
[/quote]

I think we’ve talked about HDD before. I record 24 hours of tv and replay off the hard disc drive. I’ve just got the Costco Phillips 15,000nt brand.

It is working great. I set it on 10 minute jumps and can zap 24 hours in about 60-90 seconds and find the actual one good movie from that 24 hour period and watch it with no adverts.

Otherwise, how can you have so many DVD’s that you can play them for 11 hours a day. Amazing?

[quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Hobart”]Otherwise, how can you have so many DVD’s that you can play them for 11 hours a day. Amazing?[/quote][/quote] It is a DEMO video about our company and the products, it runs over and over again.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Anyone know if those IPOD video type players can output higher resolution video with output to a TV or is it just made for those little screens?

if you wanna go that way, try this:
http://www.liksang.com/info.php?category=126&products_id=7728

[quote=“Hobart”][quote=“Ironman”][quote=“Hobart”]Otherwise, how can you have so many DVD’s that you can play them for 11 hours a day. Amazing?[/quote] It is a DEMO video about our company and the products, it runs over and over again.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Anyone know if those IPOD video type players can output higher resolution video with output to a TV or is it just made for those little screens?[/quote][/quote]

I don’t think the IPOD video can do full TV resolution. You have to shrink the video before playing it on the IPOD. Don’t they even use some special Apple format? There are plenty other mobil movie players available, But I am not sure how long one of those little HDD’s would last when you play continiously. I believe Archos was one of the first to have such a product available.