DVD Shrink with Fedora Core - Update... now using k9copy

DVD Shrink working with Fedora Core 5

Seriously, this is quite a breakthrough for me. I did something in Linux that I couldn’t previously do, which for a newb is quite satisfying.

It was very important for me to have DVD shrink, or something similar, and not having it was forcing me to boot into Windows every time. I would prefer to have a choice.

So DVD Shrink is written for Windows, so it uses Wine. It should be really easy to install, but unfortunately Fedora Core 5 mounts the DVD drive automatically when a cd/dvd is inserted, and the name changes each time, depending on the name of the movie. You can’t just get round this manually by mounting it yourself, as this conflicts with the name that FC5 wants to give it. This is a nightmare for Wine, as it needs to have a (non-changing) name for the drive.

Anyway, I found a solution for that on the good ol’ interweb. Can’t find the link just now, but I bookmarked it at home, if anyone is interested.

EDIT: Found it…
fedoraforum.org/forum/showth … ge=1&pp=15

this is nothing very special. eac works, mp3bookhelper works, monkey’s audio works, dvd2one works… and many other apps work too. i maintain some of them on the wine website. check their page, you’ll be surprised how advanced wine now is. in the old days, it could run windows’ notepad :smiley: period. also, wine has gotten much easier to use. as you can see, even newbies can make it work :bravo:

if you need an application similar to dvdshrink for linux, i suggest you try the excellent k9copy.

this is nothing very special. eac works, mp3bookhelper works, monkey’s audio works, dvd2one works… and many other apps work too. i maintain some of them on the wine website. check their page, you’ll be surprised how advanced wine now is. in the old days, it could run windows’ notepad :smiley: period. also, wine has gotten much easier to use. as you can see, even newbies can make it work :bravo: [/quote]

Yeah, getting DVD Shrink to install and run was a piece of cake, apart from recognising the DVD drive. That DOES NOT WORK with Fedora Core 5. If you’re chummy with the Wine boys, you might want to have a word.

[quote=“5566”]
if you need an application similar to dvdshrink for linux, I suggest you try the excellent k9copy.[/quote]

Can k9copy take an original DVD and make a compressed version, ready to fit on a standard blank DVD (Without 10 tonnes of bollox)?

this is nothing very special. eac works, mp3bookhelper works, monkey’s audio works, dvd2one works… and many other apps work too. i maintain some of them on the wine website. check their page, you’ll be surprised how advanced wine now is. in the old days, it could run windows’ notepad :smiley: period. also, wine has gotten much easier to use. as you can see, even newbies can make it work :bravo: [/quote]

…until the next API change, which would be end of this year with Vista. Oh boy. Seriously, if you go to that much trouble to run Windows software, you might as well do it in reverse, that is, run Cygwin. The Linux API is open and available for recompile, so there is no need to reverse engineer anything and “hope” things work.

I applaud the wine team for their efforts, but the whole effort of rewriting the last version of Windows doesn’t seem to make sense to me. The value proposition of Linux is supposed to be that you can do without Windows, and that includes Windows-based software. That is a failed proposition until people write much more Linux software and I’m not sure wine is the best way to promote that.

yes

k9copy.sourceforge.net/

looks familiar?
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=61837

there are plenty of good linux softwares. k9copy i a good example of why newbies dont need wine to run dvd2one or dvdshrink in linux.
i dont see how wine could have a negative effect on the ‘promotion’ of linux or the dev of linux softwares. there is no equivalent to eac, period. there is no equivalent to dreamweaver, period. there is nothing close to mp3bookhelper. you can have the best of both worlds in one system. what’s wrong with that?

So, is it possible to use Office and Firefox on Linux? What about watching videos and say using TEMPenc to do format conversions? How does USB work (digital cameras etc)? What about email clients? Um. All I want to do is surf the net, watch illicitly downloaded movies involving scantily clad potatoes, and organise my phot…Oh. What about Photoshop? So I would still need a dual boot?

Where can I get a copy of this Linux thing? Can I just load it onto a spare partition and dual boot with W2K professional as if it were Windows 98 or summat?

[quote=“Lord Lucan”]So, is it possible to use Office and Firefox on Linux? What about watching videos and say using TEMPenc to do format conversions? How does USB work (digital cameras etc)? What about email clients? Um. All I want to do is surf the net, watch illicitly downloaded movies involving scantily clad potatoes, and organise my phot…Oh. What about Photoshop? So I would still need a dual boot?

Where can I get a copy of this Linux thing? Can I just load it onto a spare partition and dual boot with W2K professional as if it were Windows 98 or summat?[/quote]

Well Firefox is a given. It even comes pre-installed with Fedoa Core 5 (and most other distros that I know of).

I’m crap at Linux, but so far I can listen to all my mp3s, watch DVDs, watch TV, back up my DVDs, use Gimp (a Photshop alternative… I believe Photshop 7 will work with Wine though, but maybe someone can confirm), use Open Office (an Office alternative, though again I think you can use MS Office with Wine).

Oh and guess what… while you’re accessing those site with the… erm… “artistic” photos, your computer is unaffected by any spyware or viruses that might try to come knocking.

Dual-booting is a very wise move, and easy to do.

I recommend Fedora Core 5 (others will recommend other distros). You can download it for free (legally) from fedora.redhat.com/.

If you have never used Linux before, then it can be a bit confusing at first, but it’s worth sticking out. Anything that you can’t understand, just ask here (or elsewhere). There will always be lots of people willing to help.

yes

k9copy.sourceforge.net/

looks familiar?
http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=61837

there are plenty of good linux softwares. k9copy i a good example of why newbies dont need wine to run dvd2one or dvdshrink in linux.
i dont see how wine could have a negative effect on the ‘promotion’ of linux or the dev of linux softwares. there is no equivalent to eac, period. there is no equivalent to dreamweaver, period. there is nothing close to mp3bookhelper. you can have the best of both worlds in one system. what’s wrong with that?[/quote]

Right then. I tried installing k9copy last night. Seems it’s great if you use KDE, not so great if you use Gnome (which I do). Anything I should know about using it in Gnome? Like where to find it once it’s installed, for example?

You can use K9copy with Gnome. Most KDE apps run Gnome and vica versa. I use the Gnome desktop with K9copy, AmaroK, and K3b. (I use Suse 10.2) You’ll need the KDEbase package plus some other dependencies.

I’m not sure whats in the Fedora repos but in the Suse repos DVDshrink has been ported to Gtk and not using a wine emulator. I primarily use K9copy just to “backup” DVD’s.

If you want to rip DVD to xvideo or some other format there are a host of other programs, including dvd::rip, and dvd2xvid.

I recommend openSUSE 10.2. As stated above, people will recommend other distributions.

irishstu receives +167 Geek Points for starting this thread.

[quote=“circleback”]You can use K9copy with Gnome. Most KDE apps run Gnome and vica versa. I use the Gnome desktop with K9copy, AmaroK, and K3b. (I use Suse 10.2) You’ll need the KDEbase package plus some other dependencies.

I’m not sure whats in the Fedora repos but in the Suse repos DVDshrink has been ported to Gtk and not using a wine emulator. I primarily use K9copy just to “backup” DVD’s.

If you want to rip DVD to xvideo or some other format there are a host of other programs, including dvd::rip, and dvd2xvid.

I recommend openSUSE 10.2. As stated above, people will recommend other distributions.[/quote]

Thanks. Could be I’m missing KDEbase. I’ll look into it this week.

Superb! That’s me up to 168 now. How many before I become a Motherfucking Ninja PIMP?

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“circleback”]You can use K9copy with Gnome. Most KDE apps run Gnome and vica versa. I use the Gnome desktop with K9copy, AmaroK, and K3b. (I use Suse 10.2) You’ll need the KDEbase package plus some other dependencies.

I recommend openSUSE 10.2. As stated above, people will recommend other distributions.[/quote]

Thanks. Could be I’m missing KDEbase. I’ll look into it this week.[/quote]

Sorry, forgot to report back. Thanks circleback, that seemed to do the trick. Cheers! And thanks 5566 for recommending k9copy. :slight_smile: