DWA Driving While Asian

I first heard it on the plane to Seattle. DWA. Driving While Asian. I’ve heard it here a few times since so it must be a common term.

My Asian associates are good friends, not to mention my SOFB, so I find it a little offensive.

It’s supposed to be a take on D.U.I? How would it be used in a sentence?

I don’t know what it means either. But I’m prepared to be offended by it until I find out, if that’s the general direction to go in. Unless it’s like they’re just copying the phraseology from “he was charged with Driving While Black” (ie for no other reason) in which case I will find it pathetic that they have to copy even other races’ little humourisms and go off on a rant about copy-catting. On the other hand, if it’s a sort of self-referencing substitute for “cool” like: Asian bloke says to other Asian bloke:
“Hey look at that cool dud in the tricked-out Honda Ricerocket!” / “Yeah man, DWA!” / “Far out man!” (or whatever young people say nowadays)

Damn. Anyone know what it means?

I think the young blades are saying “groovy, man” these days.

It’s a common expression to express distaste for some of the “uncouth” driving habits Asian immigrants are bringing in from their homelands.

I heard it in So Cal more than 10 years ago. Yes, it is slightly upsetting, but only until the first driver cuts you off in traffic here which in my case was about an hour ago.

DWA…Much more polite than giving the finger.

My favorite for when the planets align in some inexplicable way or its close to Chinese New Year…TDDD.

Taiwan Dick Driver Day.

It’s not “Wazzzzz Uppppp?” anymore?

I’d like to see anybody use DWA while in America (assuming that this term originated from there), and try driving in Taiwan

[quote=“MJB”]It’s a common expression to express distaste for some of the “uncouth” driving habits Asian immigrants are bringing in from their homelands.

I heard it in So Cal more than 10 years ago. . .[/quote]

Yea, I’ve heard it in California too. That and reference to the legendary “little old Chinese lady who can barely see over the steering wheel,” as in the following:

streetracing.tiora.net/boards/pr … hp?t=61812

Self-loathing in his/her case?

In fact, do a google search for “little old Chinese lady” and “steering wheel” and you’ll find several entries:

google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& … tnG=Search

In Britain it’s always a little old man in a flat cap driving a monkey-shit-brown Allegro that’s the culprit in these cases. It’s true, too.