Dyeing of fabric\clothing

Hi!
Where to please find a proffessional DYEING SERVICE to dye some cotton skirts?!
Many Thanks
v h sa

i am also interested in this. i have a really nice winter jacket that is green, and suddenly these weird neon orange streaks have appeared on it. I wonder if i can dye the jacket black. :help:

Must be the acid rain :s

I asked about this once at a dry cleaner’s (because in Mexico, laundry services are called dyers), but they said no one provides this service anymore due to environmental concerns. :idunno:

But I do know that the chemists on Tianshui Rd. sell dyes (about NT$100-150 per color, plus about NT$80 for the fixative) and provide instructions on how to use them at home. Not low-quality salt-based dyes like RIT (a US product), but permanent stuff. It requires steeping or boiling the material in hot water in a large (3- to 5-gallon) stainless steel stockpot (about NT$600 to $900), then adding a fixing agent when the temperature drops to a certain point. You have to tell them what the material is, so they can give you the right kind of dyestuff and fixative; everything is in Chinese, and the staff at those stores rarely speak English, btw.

If you want English instructions, and dyes that are more flexible, you can order dyes like Procion MX online (for cotton, rayon, hemp, silk, etc.; fixed with sodium carbonate and optionally also urea) or acid dyes (for silk, wool, fur, nylon, feathers etc.; fixed with white vinegar) from places like Dharma Trading.

Dyes are also reportedly available in a craft shop on the 5th or 6th floor of Breeze. You can also mail order the best quality Procion dyes from Dick Blick.

I am starting to hate procion dyes… those stuff would go bad very soon with no way of telling if they are bad. I think I might use Procion H if I ever got back into making more tie dye shirts… but H requires steaming…

I am starting to hate procion dyes… those stuff would go bad very soon with no way of telling if they are bad. I think I might use Procion H if I ever got back into making more tie dye shirts… but H requires steaming…[/quote]

Most people use Procion MX now, not H. Which did you use before, and why would you want H now? What material and technique are you using? Are you mixing all your MX into solution then storing it, or are you only mixing small amounts as you use it? Did you keep your MX powder in cool, dry conditions? How long did it keep?

Oh the dyes I have now are MX, but like I said MX goes bad really fast especially in Taiwan humidity. I only mix up the amount I need at the time but the powder will also go bad in an unspecified amount of time depending on tempature and humidity (both of which are very high if you don’t use air conditioning) I would think H won’t go bad as quickly because they are less reactive.

I believe that hydrolyzed (as in bad) MX dyes are still usable as acid dyes.