E-book in Taiwan?

I wish I could get an e-book in Taiwan, like the Kindle or the Sony ones. Not only are they not on sale here, it’s almost impossible to buy the books even if you import the hardware (because for copyright limitations, they will only sell books to Canada/USA/UK). Sony has a great, well-stocked e-book store for example, and fantastic looking readers, but expats around the world can’t use them. :wall:

Is that true? I’ve been downloading e-books using my iPhone, but so far the classic novels no longer under copyright. What about some of the other e-book sellers like Fictionwise, O’Reilly Ebooks, Random House or BooksOnBoard (all available on the Stanza e-book app) or Barnes and Noble?

If you use a US-based proxy server, you could probably get around that anyway, right?

Is that true? I’ve been downloading e-books using my iPhone, but so far the classic novels no longer under copyright. What about some of the other e-book sellers like Fictionwise, O’Reilly Ebooks, Random House or BooksOnBoard (all available on the Stanza e-book app) or Barnes and Noble?

If you use a US-based proxy server, you could probably get around that anyway, right?[/quote]

No, because the Kindle downloads on a wireless cell phone network, Verizon I think.

Kindle uses Sprint, I think, but can’t it also be hooked up to a computer via USB?

The new Sony will have wireless, too, but not sure with which carrier, but regardless, the 3G wireless feature is useless outside of the US. Also, the wireless version is US$100 more than the non-wireless.

I’m OK using my iPhone to read ebooks, but I will probably get the new non-wireless Sony when they finally launch it.

I thought the first generation of Kindle allows one to download eBooks off Amazon and transfer off USB? It’s not like Whispernet (Sprint’s EVDO network) has coverage over every square inch of the continental US.

If you need to have an US IP in order to make downloads, try a free VPN service like Hotspot Shield (www.anchorfree.com IIRC).

No, unfortunately they use the credit card billing address to determine location. So unless you have a USA-bsaed card (for Kindle) or USA/Canada/UK (for Sony) you are out of luck. As far as I can tell other book sellers are under the same restrictions. It’s a carry over from the physical book publishing business, where publishing rights are sold country-by-country.

No, unfortunately they use the credit card billing address to determine location. So unless you have a USA-bsaed card (for Kindle) or USA/Canada/UK (for Sony) you are out of luck. As far as I can tell other book sellers are under the same restrictions. It’s a carry over from the physical book publishing business, where publishing rights are sold country-by-country.[/quote]

There seem to work-arounds for Kindle issues:

http://blogkindle.com/2008/07/kindle-use-outside-the-united-states/
http://www.michaelyung.com/blog/services-and-products/2009/03/21/using-kindle-outside-us/

And instructions on obtaining a Kindle (or anything requiring a US mailing address):
http://www.michaelyung.com/blog/services-and-products/2009/03/21/buy-a-kindle-2-outside-us/

Annoying enough hurdles for some to just choose a different product, but I suppose there is a reason that the Kindle has such an avid following.

Thanks, that might work. I think the Kindle’s best feature is wireless purchase anywhere (in the USA). Outside of the USA, I think the Sony e-books actually have better features and price.

Good news from Amazon’s website:

[quote]We are excited to now ship Kindle to Taiwan. Customers in Taiwan will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Large Selection: Over 290,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You’ll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99 [/quote]

Shows a release date of October 17 for a new lower price of $279 US.

amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C?tag … E6F0M4TF0&

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]Good news from Amazon’s website:

[quote]We are excited to now ship Kindle to Taiwan. Customers in Taiwan will enjoy:
Books in Under 60 Seconds: Think of a book and you could be reading it in under a minute

Free Wireless: Free 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle. No monthly fees, service plans, or hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots. See Coverage Map. See Wireless Terms and Conditions

Large Selection: Over 290,000 English-language books to choose from; plus U.S. and international newspapers and magazines

Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and New Releases are $11.99, unless marked otherwise. You’ll also find many books for less - over 100,000 titles are priced under $5.99 [/quote]

amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C?tag … E6F0M4TF0&[/quote]

Wow. That is cool. But we can only use the smaller 6’ international version. At today’s exchange that’s about NT$9000. Not bad at with the lower prices possibly worth it.

[quote=“Mucha Man”]

Wow. That is cool. But we can only use the smaller 6’ international version. At today’s exchange that’s about NT$9000. Not bad at with the lower prices possibly worth it.[/quote]

From another site:

This could save me a TON of money buying books, not to mention reduce the shelf space of books in my place. Very tempting indeed…

However, I expect over the next few months to see a LOT of competition in ebook readers. ASUS, Microsoft, Apple all have cool ebook reader type devices planned, so what’s a consumer to do?

Wait a little longer, I guess. But wow, it really looks like the e-book revolution is here.

[quote=“Adam_CLO”]Good news from Amazon’s website:

amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C?tag … E6F0M4TF0&[/quote]

Excellent, thanks for the update! I’m seeing a release date of October 19th, btw (two days makes a difference to those of us switching countries right about then :wink: )

I just use the Kindle app for my IPhone.

The Kindle iPhone app is only available on the US iTunes store (lucky you!). However I’m hoping that’ll change now that the international version of the Kindle is coming out.

I think the Sony is probably a better reader. The touch screen seems to make more sense than the keyboard and it’s only $20 dearer.

Think I’ll hangfire until that comes over here.

Ok, FYI I just preordered one. Here is the info on shipments to Taiwan:

Items: $279.00
Shipping & Handling: $20.98

Total Before Tax: $299.98
Estimated Tax:* $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $15.22
Order Total: $315.20

They said I should get it around October 21-23. Looking forward to it!

Regarding comparing it to other readers, I like the concept of not having to sync with a computer. I can see myself spending a lot more money on books just because of the ease of use of direct downloading to device (I spend a lot on iPhone apps for the same reason). I also like being able to sample books for free, where the first chapter or so is instantly downloaded. Supposedly you can have your favorite blogs set up the same way too. Hopefully all these features will work equally well in Taiwan.

On the negative side, is it me or are the prices of Kindle version of books getting more expensive? I thought they would average $9.99 or less. However now most seem to be priced only a couple of dollars less than the paper back version. :fume: Still cheaper (and quicker) than buying them locally though so let’s see.

I can post my impressions on how well it works locally if anyone is interested (after I receive it of course).

Yes, do keep us informed. The pricing is a letdown. I wonder how much of that is directed by publishing, which still wonders if this thing called the Interwebby is here to stay. :unamused:

Amazon is (supposedly) losing money on many sales it makes of Kindle-ready books. http://www.newsweek.com/id/216521

Technical question – let’s say, theoretically, that I had the Kindle app, and was able to e-mail a file to someone who did not have US ITunes or app store access. Would that person be able to install it to his IPhone?

How do you access app stores for other geographical regions? I’ll be there are lots of things I’d like out of the Taiwan app store… :stuck_out_tongue: