"e-mail"...count or uncount?

Is email a countable or an uncountable noun? Perhaps both?

This is what I think:

E-mail as an uncountable noun is just like the word mail.
However e-mail has become a word like letter. In that sense it is countable.

Am I right?

[quote=“wiktionary: email”]Noun: e-mail (countable and uncountable; plural e-mails)

1. (uncountable) A system for transferring messages from one computer to another, usually via a network.
    He sent me his details via e-mail.

2. (countable; also e-mail message) A message sent by this system.
    I am searching through my e-mail.
    I am searching through my e-mail messages.

Adjective: email (A-mI’)

1. A moderate bluish-green to greenish-blue
    I don’t believe that email skirt suits you.
    [/quote]

According to the wiktionary, email is both countable and uncountable and is also a color. I don’t think their use of the word is the most illustrative, so I would suggest another sentence such as:
(countable)
I am searching through my emails.

Yes. You are perfectly correct, in new American usage. Any Brits etc. care to confirm?

I agree with the countable/uncountable issue, but can e-mail now also be written as email?

e-mail has become a versatile word.

I am checking my mail/letter/post box. (this is referring to the box, not the letters. Mail is uncountable. *I received 3 mails.) =I am checking my email. (This really means “I am checking my e-mail (account)”)

I recieved a letter/message. (Countable) = I received an (five) email/s.

I’ll send it by (snail/air) mail. vs I’ll send it by e-mail. (uncountable)

I’ll mail/post it to you. = I’ll e-mail it to you. (uncountable verb)

Mail it to me. = E-mail it to me. (Countable verb)

Just kidding about the un/countable verbs. :smiley:

Great question!

Typically when new bi-somatic (two-part) forms enter English, they are initially separated with a hyphen, and the trend is then toward optional monosomaticism (i.e., optionally joined without a hyphen). Over the course of 15 to 25 years, a consensus toward one or the other sometimes emerges; if not, the word keeps two written variants; there are cases where the spelling of the individual components has an influence on this trend.

Right now, email/e-mail is in the two variant stage, but the trend appears to be toward the monosomatic email, due to inherent human laziness, and the clarity and simplicity of the “email” version.

Thanks everyone!

[quote=“twocs”][quote=“wiktionary: email”]Noun: e-mail (countable and uncountable; plural e-mails)

1. (uncountable) A system for transferring messages from one computer to another, usually via a network.
    He sent me his details via e-mail.

2. (countable; also e-mail message) A message sent by this system.
    I am searching through my e-mail.
    I am searching through my e-mail messages.

Adjective: email (A-mI’)

1. A moderate bluish-green to greenish-blue
    I don’t believe that email skirt suits you.
    [/quote]

According to the wiktionary, email is both countable and uncountable and is also a color. I don’t think their use of the word is the most illustrative, so I would suggest another sentence such as:
(countable)
I am searching through my emails.[/quote]

Has any body ever heard email used as a color?

I know this is going to sound like a really dumb question, but exactly what color is “email”?

“I bought a new car. I wanted red , but they didn’t have it so I got email instead.”

:loco: :loco: :help: :help: :loco: :help: :help: :loco: :help:

Hey Dragonbones. Thanks for the answer about whether or not to use the hyphen. I’ve often tried explaining this to students (not only for the word e-mail/email, but for many others).

Writes the word “monosomaticism” on the back of his hand

Yes. You are perfectly correct, in new American usage. Any Brits etc. care to confirm?[/quote]

I can confirm the above.

And also… email as a colour?? WTF?

Merriam-Webster’s lists e-mail as having both countable and uncountable forms.

E-mail should not be made into one word, IMO. Then it would say ‘uhmayl’, as an ‘e’ is sounded ‘uh’ when placed at the beginning of words. It would also defy the trend of hyphenating words made up of letters (as abbreviations) with nouns: A-list, B-girl, C-section, D-day, etc.

It’s e-mail because it’s ‘electronic mail’. Pushing the e onto the accompanying noun would mean it loses its status as an abbreviation.

I really dislike pushing nouns together anyway. To me, backyard is pronounced differently to back yard; it’s pronounced like an adjective, which is what it should be … doh! Don’t get me started.

I’ll be standing here, guarding e-mail, and if anyone so much as tries to remove that hyphen, so help me god … :fume:

Good luck, Stray Dog :wink:

You’ll do what, StrayDog? :wink:

This one may be out of date now.

[quote=“Microsoft Manual of Style”]e-mail (adj, n)
Okay to use to refer to an electronic mail program, as in “check your e-mail for messages,” but use e-mail messages, or just messages or notes, to refer to pieces of e-mail. Do not use e-mails.

Avoid as a verb, as in “e-mail the file.” Instead use send or send in e-mail.

Maintain the hyphenation to show the meaning of “electronic mail” and to be consistent with terms such as “e-commerce.” Use E-mail at the beginning of a sentence and in headings.
[/quote]

I’d say that IS out of date now.

Interesting that that definition also brought up email as a verb, which I think is completely acceptable now too.

Yeah, you’re all having a laugh, but no one’s done it yet. :slight_smile:

You mean done this?

:smiling_imp:

Did I do that?! :blush:

Nope. I removed that hyphen…

Now, what you gonna do about it? :wink: