Ear Pain Ear Plugs for Flying

[quote=“JeffG”]Hmmm, yeah I should go get it checked out. Can anyone recommend a doctor they have seen for this exact problem?

I was actually wondering if the val salva manuever is dangerous at all?[/quote]
I know a decent ENT that speaks English, but he’s way up here :laughing: in Beitou. PM me if you think you need the info.

The val salva maneuver is one of the safest things you can do. It will either work or not work, depending on your ear condition. However, it is harmless as long as you don’t try to blow your brains out through your nose. Slowly increase the pressure exerted until you feel your ear/ears pop or until you feel like you’re pushing too hard or have waited longer than 5 seconds. Easy does it.

Jeff my doctor gave me antibiotics, I fought with the infection for a long time before going to the hospital, best check it out eh? Frankly the doctor couldn’t tell what was wrong, so he just gave me pillds to get rid of me.

Ma jie hospital near shuang lien MRT has a good ENT dept.

L :smiley:

[quote=“Limey”]
Ma jie hospital near Shuanglian MRT has a good ENT dept.[/quote]
Also called “Mackay Memorial Hospital” (in English). Exit Shuanglian MRT station (Exit 2), turn left, walk a block or two along Minsheng E. Rd. to the corner of Zhongshan N. Rd. Mackay is on your left. Impossible to miss.

I know Ma Jie pretty well, have been there for other things. JD also recommended an ENT to me in a PM. I will go get it checked out as I will be flying again in October and I don’t want anything serious to happen. Any other suggestions are welcome! Thanks all!

Please no jokes about Jeff, being mutton… :laughing:

(You’ll only get this if you’re a Brit, I guess)

Seriously, hope you get it sorted.

L :smiley:

Having a cold can cause temporary blockage which makes equalization of pressure difficult – this is why it is inadvisable to SCUBA dive when you have a cold. So this factor you forgot to mention would appear to be a highly relevant one.

Yeah well… but, the fact remains that I often had pain flying when I was younger as well. This isn’t a new thing. I learned that I should open my mouth wider to breath during landings. I always chew gum and usually squit my nose with some salt water nose spray before take off. Yawning seems to help a little.

I know it’s not a good idea to fly when you’re sick, this wasn’t the first time, and usually you can’t predict that, so…

I made an appointment to see the doctor JDsmith reommended in a PM to me tomorrow, he told me over the phone it doesn’t sound too serious, but he said he wants to take a look at me anyway. Which is good because I want to make sure there is nothing more serious going on.

Well, went to the doctor and it’s not serious. Gave me some meds to help open the tube a bit. He said I have narrow tubes, so my ears will feel painful during landings. He recommended while descending to pop my ears when we fly through clouds, he said after that time it may be too late. He also suggested some medication to take four hours before landing to help open up the tube.

I didn’t have a pair to show to the doctor, but I explained about these earplane things, and he said they are useless, maybe he doesn’t know exactely what they are, but he said that the problem starts in the tube not the ear.

So, I guess my question has been answered. Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.