Earthquakes 2005

Double whammer, bit scarry. Woke me up with a big headache

Eight hits in the last 4 1/2 hours here in Ilan. This is no longer ‘exciting’ it’s old and cold.

My first trip outside last night - just a couple of hours ago really - we weren’t the first out nor the last. We were at the front gates of the apartment by 3:30am. Lots of folks milling around. Some were getting anxious to go back in, especially with folks peering out their windows at those of us in the cold. Then the quake at 3:55 hit. That brought out all but the very die hard types.

Back in the apartment at 4:45. Survey the damage. A few broken ceramic tiolrs in the kitchen and bathrooms but not as much as expected. No damage to floors or ceilings - it’s liveable. The real damage is to the interior walls. Lots of cracks. LOTS of cracks. LOTS OF BIG CRACKS.

Just as I’m writing this, along came the most recent shake. 4.5 says CWB and only a 3 in Ilan City. These last few months are my first earthquakes. With a 1, I was nervous. With a 2, I was a bit unsettled, quite a bit. With a 3, I became rattled. With the first 4, I thought out loud - what am I still doing here? With last nights 5, I still don’t know what to think. I just wish the jolts would stop for awhile.

OOC

I can’t believe that was only a 3 in Taipei City, but being woken up by it AND being freezing cold standing under the door-frames didn’t exactly increase my enjoyment level of it, but also would’ve increased the perceived magnitude. This one gets a decidedly lower rating than the others for bad timing, but at least it was only a 5 at the centre.

The embarassing thing is that I woke up and all I could think about was whether I could get to my computer and post before anyone else did. :unamused:

Eventually I decided to just stay in bed and ride it out in the warm. Being on the 22nd floor there isn’t much else you can do.

I swear I woke up a few seconds before it started. Did anyone else have the same feeling?

Dofu did. He jumped up in our bed and sat down behind my wife and wouldn’t move for a while.

me…me…me… i live on the 14th floor, when the quake hit I woke up, actually i think I already was awake because I had a huge headache, then it hit, twice, shook my brains a little more. Got up, had an aspirine and went back to sleep. Then I couldn’t sleep anymore, that is real sleep, just dozing. Got up at 6 to start baking my breads. Now i’m really tired.

Felt 2 quakes: one right after the other, then another ten minutes or so later. Pretty rough ones. After that, nothing. Slept like a baby, then woke up at 9 to check the news.

[quote=“OutofChaos”] A few broken ceramic tiolrs in the kitchen and bathrooms but not as much as expected. No damage to floors or ceilings - it’s liveable. The real damage is to the interior walls. Lots of cracks. LOTS of cracks. LOTS OF BIG CRACKS.

OOC[/quote]

What floor do you live on? I’m wondering because I live on the first floor and there was no damage to my place. I don’t even have cracks in the walls and I thought everyone has cracks in their walls. I always wonder is it better to be on the first floor or a higher floor? Sure I can get out of the apartment quicker but I can also get crushed by everyone on top of me.

Well, I live on the 13th Floor and I thought I was on high sea. The whole place was rocking badly.
Please someone figures out a warning system…fast. Thank you :smiley:

A warning system doesn’t really matter if you’re sleeping. Who’s going to know. Just ride it out. Count the damage and live your life as fast as possible.

Yes.

Yes. I woke up in time to “enjoy” the full benefit of it. But I think there must be some low level build up of shaking that wakes you up if you’re sensitive to it, or a light sleeper. Or something :s

A guy started chatting to me in the park today with a “so, how about that earthquake this morning?”. Now there’s a conversation starter you don’t get back home - unless, I guess, you’re from California or something :unamused:

[quote=“Loretta”]The embarassing thing is that I woke up and all I could think about was whether I could get to my computer and post before anyone else did. :unamused:

Eventually I decided to just stay in bed and ride it out in the warm. Being on the 22nd floor there isn’t much else you can do.
[/quote]

Ya, I was thinking the same thing. Obviously we are part of the post 9/21 expat world here, ya?

I think I was awake seconds before it hit as well. This isn’t the fisrt time I have felt it coming on. Weird, it’s like I am a dog.

Any damage in Taipei to report?

But I am talking about a warning like they have for volcanos, you know.
Someone’s gotta come up with something someday or another don’t you think?

Someone’s gotta come up with something someday or another don’t you think?[/quote]

Here’s one for you. Delicately balance a breakable item on the precipice of something really, really wobbly. If it falls and breaks, run like hell to the nearest wide open space.

What’cha think of dat?

Someone’s gotta come up with something someday or another don’t you think?[/quote]

Here’s one for you. Delicately balance a breakable item on the precipice of something really, really wobbly. If it falls and breaks, run like hell to the nearest wide open space.

What’cha think of dat?[/quote]
Nice, nice…now keep those ideas coming hmm? :laughing:

What’cha think of dat?[/quote]
Nice, nice…now keep those ideas coming hmm? :laughing:[/quote]

Dofu did. He jumped up in our bed and sat down behind my wife and wouldn’t move for a while.[/quote]

Dognap Dofu.

My dubious news source reports a total of 9 shakes were recorded.

Actually I woke up just before the quake it also. Funny, that makes quite a few of us.

This just in.

My DNS reports that a cat-burglar was attempting to spidey his way up a building when the quake hit. This 2nd story man couldn’t hang on and found out 1st hand just how immuteable the law of gravity is. Landed on his face. Broke it. And the police busted the rest of him.

Earthquake Crimefighter!!!Yeah!