Earthquakes 2006

Yeah, felt it here though I was the only one. Was just a bit of rocking going on for a while.

English: lists.jameslick.com/mailman/list … e-alert-en
中文: lists.jameslick.com/mailman/list … e-alert-zh

2006/02/24 09:55 Magnitude: 5.3 No.: 013 (0224095553013)
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 553013.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 553013.txt

[code] CWB EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Earthquake No.: 95013

Origin time (Taiwan Standard Time: GMT+08:00): 2/24/2006 9:55:50.4

Depth : 8.6 km

Magnitude(ML): 5.3

Local Largest Intensity :

Yilan County 3
Taipei County 2
Yilan City 2
Hualien County 2
Keelung City 1
Taipei City 1
Taoyuan County 1
Hualien City 1
Hsinchu County 1
Miaoli City 1[/code]

02月24日09時55分 規模:5.3 編號:013 (0224095553013)
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 553013.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 553013.txt

[code] 中央氣象局地震測報中心 第013號有感地震報告
發 震 時 間: 95年 2月24日 9時55分50.4秒
震 央 位 置: 北 緯 24.72

Sizable quake there. I told the babe it was about a 2 where we are (Taipei), which was right on. And she didn’t even feel it! :loco: Hell, the windows even rattled. :laughing:

Hope our friends in Ilan enjoyed it!

Take a close look at the earthquake report. Better, look at the Chinese version as it has more detail. In Taipei City it was a 1, and Taipei County has a 2, but only in one place which turns out to be way in the east coast part of Taipei County. Anywhere near the city was only a 1.

USGS gave it a 5.0 magnitude:

earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/rec … usjnad.php

I miss out on all the good stuff. :frowning:

Woke me up down here in Yilan. I was just thinking the other day it had been a while since our last earthquake.

I felt a big one this morning at around 5am in Da Keng (and I’m talking about the earthquakes here). Knocked some stuff off the fridge and everything.

Origin time (Taiwan Standard Time: GMT+08:00): 2/24/2006 4:19: 6.4
Depth : 24.8 km
Magnitude(ML): 4.9

cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 949012.gif

There was a 4.9 this morning at 4:19am centered in Nantou county. Could that be it?

Yup. You got to my post before I could edit it! Da Keng mountains was definitely a 3, made a great noise. My Taiwanese friends think it’s weird and slightly distasteful to get so excited about earthquakes. ‘But they kill people!’

There was a 4.9 this morning at 4:19am centered in Nantou county. Could that be it?[/quote]

“Earthquakes don’t kill people, buildings do.”

(That’s a quote from a Discovery Channel special about earthquakes, if I remember right).

Well, you are up where the 7.6 was centered in 1999. As I mentioned to a friend earlier, “Once you’ve experienced a 7.6, you can’t help but be a bit disappointed by a 5.3.” Uhh… we were talking about earthquakes, by the way. :blush:

I always wanted to experience one because this is an area which I have studied in. Meterology also took up a large portion of my study at university and I’ve always wanted to experience hurricanes. It’s not that wierd - it’s mother nature and curiosity.The experience may not be nice, but it is an experience.

I seem to be well placed in Taiwan.

I always wanted to experience one because this is an area which I have studied in. Meterology also took up a large portion of my study at university and I’ve always wanted to experience hurricanes. It’s not that wierd - it’s mother nature and curiosity.The experience may not be nice, but it is an experience.

I seem to be well placed in Taiwan.[/quote]

I got to study both a few years ago. I guess we all did. There was a reasonable earthquake while a typhoon was still blowing.

I was on my little scooter at the time riding against the gale and just thought it was more out of control than usual as I got rocked sideways by the quake. When was that. It’s all blending in together now as one long nightmare/ fun time in Taiwan.

Right, I’m on the way back to Taipei for a few days next weekend with my SO. Living in HK I’ve very seriously missed the temblors (damn, that’s one for the words you hate thread) trerribly, so if Horrie could schedule a few in, yeah, that’d be real good.

No 'phoons thanks, they’re boring. Just a shake, but nothing too big mind.

HG

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Sizable quake there. I told the babe it was about a 2 where we are (Taipei), which was right on. And she didn’t even feel it! :loco: Hell, the windows even rattled. :laughing:

Hope our friends in Yilan enjoyed it![/quote]
That quake was so mild I merely thought I felt a dizzy spell. But the I noticed the monitor shaking a little. If I wasn’t sitting still, I would never have noticed it.

was I draming this morning or was there an mild earthquake today?
My bed seem to shake a bit and I think some hangers in the closet rattled and maked noises…
but I’m not sure, maybe just a dream :s

You may have felt this one near Yilan:

English: lists.jameslick.com/mailman/list … e-alert-en
中文: lists.jameslick.com/mailman/list … e-alert-zh

2006/02/25 08:38 Magnitude: 4.4 No.: 014 (0225083844014)
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 844014.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4e/seismic/quake … 844014.txt

[code] CWB EARTHQUAKE REPORT

Earthquake No.: 95014

Origin time (Taiwan Standard Time: GMT+08:00): 2/25/2006 8:38:52.2

Depth : 24.2 km

Magnitude(ML): 4.4

Local Largest Intensity :

Yilan County 3
Hualien County 2[/code]

02月25日08時38分 規模:4.4 編號:014 (0225083844014)
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 844014.gif
cwb.gov.tw/V4/seismic/quake/ … 844014.txt

[code] 中央氣象局地震測報中心 第014號有感地震報告
發 震 時 間: 95年 2月25日 8時38分52.2秒
震 央 位 置: 北 緯 24.41

Feel that?

I seem to be well placed in Taiwan.[/quote]

Actually, the United States is better if it’s natural disasters you seek…floods, droughts, earthquakes, volcanoes, tornados, and hurricanes. Man can we pick 'em!