Earthquakes 2018

LuoDong

What’s the world record for most earthquakes in a day/week at a place?

1 Like

well, that’s closer to Hualien. I have “felt” many these days, but again it could be anything.

We are also feeling a lot of smaller quakes and tremors in Taipei (Nangang). Earlier before this latest 5.7 one struck, we felt like the building was swaying (we are on a higher floor). It still feels like it is moving afterwards, or maybe it is the same effect like after you get off of a boat.

All I could find on Google was Iceland: 800 in one day.that was when the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted.

There is an under sea volcano 11 miles off the coast of Hualien. Exactly where these quakes have been happening. I wonder if its not the fault line, but the volcano getting ready to blow.

2 Likes

Dunno, if anyone can clarify I would welcome a translation.

I heard about that too… How bad would a volcano eruption be?

“Earthquake felt and occurred Feb. 7 at 23:21 around Hualien area, forecasted measurement of 4.0 and above for the area of Hualien, Central Weather Bureau”

1 Like

So how did they “score” in Taipei area? yesterday’s 6.5 translated into a what in Taipei? and how about today´s 5.7?

6.5 was a 4
5.7 was a 3

It’s like when you wake up with a hangover and something else in your bed…

Go to: http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/earthquake/quake_index.htm

Then click on the earthquake (to the right) that you want to see how it felt near you.
For example, click on the 23:21 at 5.7 on Richter.
You’ll then see what it “felt” like in the various cities/counties in Taiwan.
Looks like that 5.7 felt like a “2” in Taipei.

EDITED to add the english version website from CWB:
http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7e/earthquake/quake_index.htm

Follow the same steps as above.

1 Like

Thank you! It is kind of you to provide a translation. Indeed, this altert (accompanied by a wailing siren sound) came in last night at 11:50 as well as tonight - before the shaking started. A few minutes later a follow up “Emergency Altert” arrived which includes the intensity info (I did not get a screenshot).

Oh Dear ! That sounds like , " I’ve never been to bed with an ugly Woman but I have woken up with a few ":face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Taichung just had a gentle swayer this evening.

Look at the pattern since the 5.7.
It looks like its reving up.
Screenshot_20180208-002159

Thanks, there seems to be a similar record of 800 at Yellowstone too (which again is a volcanic region)

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=600377

On the Central Weather Bureau website it assigns a number to each quake, but a lot dont have a number, they just say “local”. Anyone know why or willing to wager a guess?

can you copy/paste to show readers what you are seeing?

check the intensity details for quakes. Local ones have 0 intensity elsewhere in the country

Think there’s a cut-off formula involved, based around how far away the quake is felt.
So 047 (4.1) was felt out in Taichung and Nantou, so it gets a number.
The 4.1 at 23.24 … um, that was also felt in the same 2 counties, so my explanation doesn’t hold.